Another Critique of Cave Story

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I love how this thread continues to go on despite that the individual who opened the thread/had the opinion of the panties being sexist and offensive has clearly left and probably isn't coming back.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Been here way too long...
Do you love it because we don't actually care about his opinion and we just want to discuss the topic he brought up?

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I like that everyone keeps calling them a "he". When said person is upset about female portrayal in video games.

I mean it's not impossible, but given that they don't state their gender, I'd be more inclined to assume they were a she, if I were to make said assumption.

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
To be fair this is the most interesting/controversial and well-written theory/complaint we've had in a while

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Would it be better if, instead of 12-year-olds, we got more people like these joining the forums?

(Answer: probably yes)

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:51 PM
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I like that everyone keeps calling them a "he". When said person is upset about female portrayal in video games.

I mean it's not impossible, but given that they don't state their gender, I'd be more inclined to assume they were a she, if I were to make said assumption.
Well since English doesn't have a gender-ambiguous singular third-person pronoun, and we're talking about a member of the Cave Story Tribute Site Forums, I decided to use "he."

Jul 8, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
Well since English doesn't have a gender-ambiguous singular third-person pronoun, and we're talking about a member of the Cave Story Tribute Site Forums, I decided to use "he."
Yes it does. "they" is the accepted standard for a non-gendered pronoun.

It wasn't before, but it's sort of a recent thing in the last century or so.

Jul 8, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Yes it does. "they" is the accepted standard for a non-gendered pronoun.

It wasn't before, but it's sort of a recent thing in the last century or so.
I didn't realize this, but it looks like that's true. Proof:everyone referring to me as "they" when not speaking directly to me.

And I have to agree with Noxid, here. panda's complaint was actually based on something and provoked some interesting discussion even after they took off. It's a heckuva lot better than a certain other critique thread, anyway.

Jul 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Forever 12
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Noxid said:
Guys, I think we're all missing the real important point here
there are /women/ on this forum, and they shouldn't have to put up with this immature crap.
I don't want to see any more posts about Cave Story on this forum, and I will start banning members permanently who break this rule.
If you weren't joking, Would it be at least Ikachan fourms? :3

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Glad that you enjoyed the game, but it looks like you didn't get that secret item from Chaco!
As many have said before me, I think you're blowing this out of proportion.
I get that sometimes there's a sexuality issue in games, but Cave Story is DEFINITELY not one of those games. It's a harmless easter egg. Curly isn't a "damsel in distress" (I actually found her to be the dominant persona of the two). Once again, I understand your concern, but it's not that big a deal.

In addition!
The Remastered version of this game features a play mode where Curly and Quote swap roles, and Quote becomes the damsel in distress. Though.. Curly still manages to find her own underwear in Quote's hideout in the Sandzone.

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Professional Whatever
Well she is tough but you do rescue her quite a few times (and carry her around (like a damsel in distress))

Jul 10, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Well she saves your life once, which is enough in my opinion. Getting your ass saved multiple times, as the player character, would get tedious. It's kind of your job in an action-oriented game like Cave Story to save things, not to have your weaknesses emphasized by getting beaten and rescued repeatedly.

Jul 11, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Also, you have to remember that in the Normal Ending (which most people get their first time), it goes a little something like this:

★She ambushes you
★You defeat her
★She gives you the puppy(and possibly the Machine Gun)
★You give her the Pill
★She helps you throughout the Labyrinth
★She helps you defeat the Core
★She saves your life
★She dies.

And that's it. She's gone forever. The most you did was bring PILLZ HERE to help her recover. Curly literally kills herself to keep you alive, when she hardly knew you and had no particular reason to think you deserved to live any more than she did.

That's kind of an unbalanced situation, don't you think?

Jul 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM
I'm surprised that pandassassin didn't mention Sue, a little girl, being transformed into a sexy bunny ninja. That's a stronger case for misogyny in Cave Story than finding Curly's panties.