Alternate Character Playthrough Suggestions

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:35 AM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
So I have quite a few Cave Story folders... (This many) And have been trying to decide what I do with each of them to make the game unique for each character.

I'm currently playing through as King, using only the Blade (after I got it of course, I don't like unbalancing the earlier parts)

I played through a good bit of the game, up to the giant boulder as Misery, using only a spriteless Bubbler, but then screwed up and lost my Profile.dat (don't ask)

Quote, I generally rape everything with.

Curly, the first time through, I took the machine gun just for shits and giggles. Now I naturally, just Spur everything.

I haven't played as Sue because I can't think of an idea to implement for her. And I also want some new ideas for when i go through the game again as the other characters. You know, just to mix things up.

Any suggestions?

Mar 14, 2009 at 9:41 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
This topic inspired me to do a Fireball-only run as a custom sprited Mario.

Yes.

Mar 14, 2009 at 5:37 PM
Source Splicer, 2nd Class
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
For Sue, maybe you can give her either the Polar Star or Fireball.

The reason I considered the Polar Star is-
... err said:
- Polar Star -
The most basic gun.
It bears the mark of Polaris.
Plus, a blue gun might go well with a blue shirt, right?
As for the Fireball choice, that was derived from the fact that Booster had the Fireball to protect himself on Jenka's Nightmare (Until he gives it to Quote in an optional dialogue script).
Also, for other ideas, how about Mini-Balrog armed with the Missile Launcher (Though the gun itself wouldn't be shown, of course) & Jenka with the Nemesis (Again, with the gun edited out) from f-ram's character patches?

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:03 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Bad Beholder said:
For Sue, maybe you can give her either the Polar Star or Fireball.

The reason I considered the Polar Star is-

Plus, a blue gun might go well with a blue shirt, right?
As for the Fireball choice, that was derived from the fact that Booster had the Fireball to protect himself on Jenka's Nightmare (Until he gives it to Quote in an optional dialogue script).
Also, for other ideas, how about Mini-Balrog armed with the Missile Launcher (Though the gun itself wouldn't be shown, of course) & Jenka with the Nemesis (Again, with the gun edited out) from f-ram's character patches?

I actually like all of those ideas, especially the Balrog one. I was pretty much looking for an excuse to use that sprite :), but boy would boss battles be hectic (with limited ammo and everything). I'll probably give it a try. Sue, I might try with the Polar Star, but Jenka.. I never was a fan of the Nemesis but it is worth a shot.

Edit- Actually it just occurred to me how impossible The Balrog idea would be. Having both limited ammo, and bosses that are immune to rockets will cuase a hell of a set back.. It's like when i played through as king and learned that my blade didn't effect Ma Pignon. (Ended up having to falter away from my goal and used a level 1 spur on it instead..) Don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna try it. I just need to think of ways to counter the Curly issue and the ammo issue..

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:06 AM
"Huzzah!"
misery
unlimited booster (just seems right)
snake (edited black)

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:55 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
For Sue you should make the weapon invisible and not attack anything except during boss battles. For Balrog try making the missile ammo infinite just for fun, and just use something else to fight Curly (the only boss immune to them I believe). Balrog should also start with the booster 2.0.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:58 AM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Balrog should have infinite Booster. But it should only work going up.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:27 AM
Brickman said:
For Sue you should make the weapon invisible and not attack anything except during boss battles. For Balrog try making the missile ammo infinite just for fun, and just use something else to fight Curly (the only boss immune to them). Balrog should also start with the booster 2.0.

While I love all of these ideas, I have no idea how to make ammo or booster infinite.

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:30 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
An easy way to make ammo infinite is to use CaveShark.
Just set the maximum ammo to 0, and it'll be infinite, I think.
I haven't done it in a while.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:01 AM
CBLuigi said:
An easy way to make ammo infinite is to use CaveShark.
Just set the maximum ammo to 0, and it'll be infinite, I think.
I haven't done it in a while.

I'll look into it, but it sounds to me like if you were to upgrade to super missiles or something it would need to be reset. (not a big issue) You know, this thread has given me a lot of REALLY good ideas. All I need to do now is find out how to get unlimited booster (And maybe illuminate the booster smoke) And I'll have an assload of replay value.

So far I'm thinking of

King-Blade Only
Sue- Polar Star on Bosses, everything else I'll avoid (if possible)
Jenka- Invisible Nemesis Only (This will sort of feel like god modding though..)
Balrog- Invisible Rocket Launcher, and a sideweapon I'll just delete with a save editor after I beat Curly. Possibly Booster 2.0 (This I can pretty much wait for until I get it legit though)
Misery- Invisible Bubbler or Invisible Snake (Choices Choices...) I'll have to recolor her like I did for the other misery sprites, and get rid of the Booster smoke effect. And now that I think about it, I like challenging my characters/weapons in Hell, so I think an unlimited booster would be unfair so I'll scrap that idea.

I'm also considering going in and making a Toroko edit, that changes the Polar Star Bullets into bricks/rocks. (That is if the bullets are in a pbm somewhere, I'll have to look) I could then make the gun invisible and enjoy hurling stones at enemies.

Oh god, I love this thread, the ideas coming from it will keep me occupied forever :)

Mar 15, 2009 at 4:10 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Fire1052 said:
Balrog should have infinite Booster. But it should only work going up.

Good idea.

As for the Curly fight, give Balrog a punch attack kind of thing.

What about playing as the Shovel Brigade, using a magnum and shovel?

Why the hell do I want to play as Monster X cat or Mini Omega?

Mar 16, 2009 at 6:55 AM
DimJim said:
Good idea.

As for the Curly fight, give Balrog a punch attack kind of thing.

What about playing as the Shovel Brigade, using a magnum and shovel?

Why the hell do I want to play as Monster X cat or Mini Omega?

A mini omega.. I might have to look into trying that. I could make the fireballs red to match his ... boulder things. The only problem would be in finding a proper palette for the sprite. I'm making a protoman one right now and I'm having a hell of a time trying to make due with the lack of reds in cave story.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:52 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
It would be amazing if Balrog's Booster down-boost did damage.

And how about a Papaton MyChar? Blade and a Polar Star would be fine for that...

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I think I'm going to make jack. You start with 10 HP because of the flak jacket and you have your adaptable hand-gun.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:47 AM
Fire1052 said:
It would be amazing if Balrog's Booster down-boost did damage.

And how about a Papaton MyChar? Blade and a Polar Star would be fine for that...

Give me some reference pics to go off of and I'd give it a shot after finished the 2 sprites I'm working on right now.