Advice for buying a domain

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:30 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I am looking to buy a domain, largely so I can host my own downloads, but so I can maybe do some things with it later. Any tips/ideas on where I should buy it from, and other things?

I'm also going to have to learn a bit of CSS and html. I'll google some tutorials later, but if you know any good ones it would be appreciated if you posted them here.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:43 AM
Been here way too long...
w3schools gives the best tutorials, I've found.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:59 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Gotta love w3schools

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:26 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Are you getting a domain and hosting, or simply a domain by itself (if you have hosting already for instance)?

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:28 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
andwhyisit said:
Are you getting a domain and hosting, or simply a domain by itself (if you have hosting already for instance)?

First option. At this point I have nothing (except files I would like to host). I also have some money.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:38 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
HTML Code Tutorial
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/
These guys are good at teaching, but they have some bad coding habits in their examples (like capitalizing tags). Otherwise the content is correct and all.

W3Schools
http://www.w3schools.com/
A good, commonly used tutorial site. Will teach you good coding habits because they are the people who invented the standards and such. Sometimes a little confusing (for example, they are not terribly clear about applying multiple CSS classes to a single HTML element).

I have no experience in buying a domain because I've only used free hosting services (e.g. Google Sites), so can't help you there.

EDIT:
This is what I use to validate my HTML files and CSS files.

Note that having errors or warnings does not necessarily mean that your page will not look right on some computers. However, you should strive for the least number of problems, preferably 0 errors and 0 warnings.

For javascript on web pages, I use JSHint to check my code.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
First option. At this point I have nothing (except files I would like to host). I also have some money.
Bluehost is what I use, so give that a shot.

As for HTML, it goes something like this:

<tagname attribute1="value1" attribute2="value2">content</tagname>

The tag name (or element name) tells us which element it is and therefore what it does. "a" is a link, "strong" makes text bold, and "td" is the cell of a table for instance.

Attributes are the properties for each element. For instance <div align="left">some text</div> would align text to the right. You can have any number of attributes on a tag. While attributes are typically specific only to that tag, or some tags, there are a few that apply to all tags, such as "class" or "id".

The content is the text and/or elements inside the tag.

I'll give you a rundown on css later but for now familiarise yourself with the tags and what they do then play around with it a bit or look at the source code of some websites to get an idea.

The most important tags to learn for now are span, div, strong, a, em, p, br, img, table, tr and td.

Use this as a template to get started:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<body>
</body>
</html>

Keep in mind that all page content goes between the body tags.

If it makes it any easier think of it as nestable TSC. :(

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
I host off my own machine using dyndns.org, but that's because I don't give my website to the world; if I did I doubt it could handle the traffic. I also use Dropbox for holding/hosting files, and i know someone who's using it for an actual website.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:07 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
My friend Pokeyph has a domain (and owns a forum that has more users registered and active members than this one does. The only drawback is it's about Webkins.) . Maybe I'll edit in some of his suggestions.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I used 50megs to buy csrp2.org, and I've used it for other things in the past, but I've never really checked out any others, so I don't now how it compares. It's easy enough to use.