A side project;Gonna need resources =O

Sep 4, 2006 at 2:05 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Ello ello :). I have a side project I've already started on =o. so when I get
tired and my head hurts from coding in byond, I can lay back and use RPG
Maker 2003 to make something that requires less work =D.

Cave Story Tale of the New D. =o Cave Story is magically transformed from a
platforming rpg shooter to a.. a... RPG!!! :o bum bum bummm

it will use the same old CS music and characters and face graphics, but newer
weapons, the old same weapons, newer graphics for a lot of diff things. I will
make it as much like CS as possible, but it will still be different as you will
be able to go more than 2 directions :(. and you can actually see the
characters from the back and such =o.

And the fighting will be sort of turn based, but I like it. So far I'm just doing
Balrog's character for fights, then I'll do Quote and Curly.

Balrog will be able to:

Capture - Run toward the enemy and trap them inside you!!!! The famous
technique that makes people question if Balrog is suitcase or toaster!! :o
Jump - Fly into the air to avoid attacks, next turn you will fall back down
ontop of the enemy.
Fly - Fly up in the air and stomp on the enemy with your bulk.
Shoot - Shoot white circle projectiles at the enemy.

Get the picture of what it'll be like? I hope to make this fun because of how
different it'll be, but make sure it's still close enough to how it was that people
don't just toss it aside.

I'm going to need Cave Story sound effects if anybody can help with that.
I'll also need midis or even wavs of some CS songs would work too for ones
that are too hard to make midis of.

The hardest part about this will be making a CaveStory CHIPSET. but for now
I'm not going to worry about the chipset.

so say what you think =o I'm also going to need to make a system set thing
so that the messages and everything look like CS.

Sep 4, 2006 at 10:10 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
NoraHamuChan said:
The hardest part about this will be making a CaveStory CHIPSET. but for now
I'm not going to worry about the chipset.

Chipset? Don't you mean Tileset? Meh. Been a while since I used RPGMaker. Must be something else.The one thing that would make RPGMaker more worth using would be a much more programmable battle system. Keeping us stuck with a Dragon Quest/Warrior-esque battle system is retarded. I'd be happy with just being able to show the character's backs as they attack, like Secret of the Stars, as horrible as that game was. But being able to make Action RPGs like Secret of Mana would be insanely cool.

BTW, leveling your weapons did NOT make it quite like an RPG. They only went to 3, and they could level down.

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:55 AM
I don't mean that. I'm talking about the story line.

it was an rpg because you had to talk to the people to make it through the game.

it was a mix of platforming, roleplaying, and shooting. <3 haaaaaaaah.

and you can still make it have your back to the player and not have a side view.
it's pretty easy to figure out..

and yeah, RPGMaker 2003 calls it chipsets in the rtp folder but in the program its
tileset so whatever.

same thing though. and the battle system will still be the same by the way. I'm going
to make it look like your in Cavestory (2d) cept it'll still be turn based. You'll still have
the Polar Star, Spur, Snake, Fireball, Bubbler, Sword, Nemesis, and others if I'm
forgetting some. For the Sword if your level 3 (in this game your level is the level of
your weapon) you'll be able to have King attack all enemies. and other things like that
too. =) it'll be different, but I hope to make it fun.

Sep 5, 2006 at 10:51 AM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Sep 5, 2006 at 2:45 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Osmose said:

Pft. We have something that's even more customizable than RPGToolkit and RPGMaker put together: real programming languages. Beat that. :)

Good luck, Naru! Looking forward to it!

Sep 5, 2006 at 3:42 PM
it's Nora D:

and I know. but like I said, I needed something to make whenever my brain hurts from
programming in BYOND :).

RPG Maker works for me to make things without any effort almost so there =o.

(plus I'm still just getting ready to get into programming in real languages, and
that'll make my head hurt even more than byond will D: miff..)

Sep 5, 2006 at 8:55 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
RuneLancer said:
Good luck, Naru! Looking forward to it!

LMHO - Naru? XD

Well for some people its easier to work with rpgmaker who are too lazy or dont want to learn c++ or something cause its too hard...

Sep 5, 2006 at 9:02 PM
I'd love to learn to program in C and things, but I'd like to make something fun without
the work sometimes. (besides, I'm sick right now, caught something when a friend
spent the night with me :<.)

Sep 6, 2006 at 2:48 PM
The Bartender
Err, my bad, I meant Nora. I blame a severe lack of caffeine. :D

(And I meant the programming language thing in response to the post on RPGToolkit. ;) While a programming language would allow you to acheive tons more than you ever could with RPGMaker, if you don't know one then you'll end up spending mre time learning it than using it, so it's not a good idea while working on a project.)

Sep 6, 2006 at 10:01 PM
"..."
Well RPGToolkit has it's own programming language and supports the inclusion of Visual Basic DLL files for a much higher level of customization, and even more if you know Visual Basic, while still offering an easy-to-learn program that has definite advantages over coding everything yourself, like allowing you to set entities to follow vector paths rather than moving in specific directions. ;)

Sep 7, 2006 at 4:01 PM
The Bartender
Osmose said:
Well RPGToolkit has it's own programming language and supports the inclusion of Visual Basic DLL files for a much higher level of customization, and even more if you know Visual Basic, while still offering an easy-to-learn program that has definite advantages over coding everything yourself, like allowing you to set entities to follow vector paths rather than moving in specific directions. ;)
That makes it a scripting language, though. And I'd love to see it permit the creation of something like Endless Saga (particularly if it can just include VB DLLs ...)

Still, for 2D games, scripting languages are often better-used than programming languages. Faster developement and such. Or the use of a watered-down API like SDL works, too. >"<

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:53 AM
"..."
I think the best posterchild for the power of the toolkit is Heraldry: Freija. That's just the screenshots page - use the round icons near the top to go to other pages (Or click on the title in each box to see the rest of the screenshots in those galleries.)

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:12 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Whoa looks cool ;)

Sep 8, 2006 at 2:34 PM
The Bartender
Those are very nice graphics for a 2D game, but they seem to make up the girth of the game engine's appeal. Still, like I said, using a scripting language to work on a 2D game is often best given the simplicity of such (ever had to calculate the per-vertex normals of your visible objects after tesselating them against a max amount of polygons to adapt to a user's card's performance in a 2D game? ;) )

What I've always wondered was why RPGMaker-type engines were the de facto RPG making program that everyone runs to when they want to make a 2D RPG (not that it's bad, but there isn't much to look forward to within the game engine...) Even in the days of RPGMaker95-2000, there were plenty of other engines out there (Verge, Sphere...) but their popularity was nowhere near that of RM.

Ah well. Word of mouth (or finger, as it were) is strong. :D

Sep 9, 2006 at 11:06 PM
"..."
Well, the whole thing is that RPG Maker entices people because it makes creating a fairly fun RPG a lot easier than any other program.

I looked up those two you mentioned, and although it seems like they offer a lot of control with the scripting, it doesn't really appeal to the dull-headed internet user who just wants to make a fangame for Chrono Trigger (Ironically, the RPG Maker communities make fun of people like that, because they think if it's not original it sucks - there's not much you can use to draw the line between good and bad in RPG Maker beyond whether an idea is original or not.).

The whole reason why I support (And used, for a while) RPG Toolkit is because, IMO, it combines the best of both ends. It's got a lot of easy tasks, like building maps and laying scripts on them, or using the built in fight system. But it also has the scripting language (RPGCode) to extend the customizibility of the system - from my experience, RPGCode is pretty powerful for an RPG Maker clone language.

One of the things that I also like about it is that it extends the ease of making a custom-esque game because you can import other people's code into your own game - there's tons of Battle Systems people made to be used in other games that you can customize, so you have the ease of RPG Maker without (as much of) the clone-type-ness of RPG Maker games. Plus, you can add all sorts of minigames, extra options, etc.

From your post I'm just not getting one thing: You did catch the RPGCode thing, right? Your first paragraph seems like you're thinking RPG Toolkit doesn't have a scripting language.

Sep 10, 2006 at 9:40 PM
The Bartender
Hmm, maybe I posted that wrong, my bad. I meant to say, the game posted looks great, visually, but at its core it's still a 2D game. As for scripting engines, the advantage with them is the ease of developement, whereas their downside is a lack of power and control. Which makes them ideal for 2D games, perhaps even moreso than a programming language, unless you have plenty of experience. ;)