A horrific tale of FrozenFire's personal life..

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:49 AM
"Huzzah!"
As the title suggests, I've got a real-life incident to share. It's not much of a "tale" to tell, just some stuff about a work day gone wrong.

On the first of the year, I had a work-related accident. I work at Arby's, and I was assigned a cleaning task that I've never had to do before. The task was to clean something high up above the fryers... : /

I couldn't pull the fryers out to reach the thing I needed to clean and I couldn't reach it from a stool or a ladder placed in front of the fryers, so the only option I saw was to stand on the fryers. I put the covers on to cover over the hot oil, and I carefully got on top (while watching to be sure I had a secure step) and I began cleaning. Well, the covers didn't work, and it's not like I was stepping on them. Even though I was being very careful, it was very awkward to clean up there. I ended up getting too focused on scrubbing some grime and forgot a bit about securing my foot position (I've always sucked at multi-tasking) and my feet slipped on some oil on the surface, I knocked the covers up and my feet went in... yes, into the 350 degree corn oil. Only for a few seconds, but I ended up with minor second degree burns on my left foot and rather severe second degree burns on my right foot.

Long story short, I've been recovering for this entire time and I've finally gotten to the point to where I can live independently again (i.e. my mom has been helping take care of me with cooking food and in helping with my wound care and such).

I just wanted to let anyone who cares know that I'm still around and my foot is doing pretty well, though I'm not able to return to work just yet. I've been away from my computer for this whole time, so I haven't been able to get on these forums until now. Also, my projects have mostly been on hold during this time, but I'm now able to start them up again, though this incident has pushed things back a little. Btw, I'm referring to "A Cave Story Christmas" and a Zelda project that will use the same engine as ACSC.

Btw, did I miss anything interesting? Any awesome topics I need to see??

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:56 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Huh... well, I've never gone through something like that before so might I ask a question?
Why yes, Chime!
Thank you Frozen, how long did the left and right foot take to recover?

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That must have been terrible, I'm so sorry for you. It's good that you're recovering so well though. I hope you get better very soon c:

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:13 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I..

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:27 AM
CARLSOOOOOON AAAAND PEEEEETERSSSSSS!
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
When I heard "work-related accident" and "Arby's", I thought "it had something to do with the fryer, didn't it?". And, would you know, I was right. That being said, that was horrible what happened to you. And to make matters worse, I WORK AT MCDONALD'S!!!!

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:53 AM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Do your feet smell like fries?

(and ouch D: )

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:29 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Jesus uh...

Noxid said:

I..

^This. This is my reaction.

Feb 19, 2013 at 5:32 AM
Been here way too long...
Did you at least get worker's comp?

also that sounds no less than mildly painful (and probably surpasses even amazingly painful)
alsoalso glad to have you back!

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:22 AM
THE suus
"Keep on rollin'!"
Noxid said:

I..

Noxid is not amused... :T
But yeah, damn. I hope you get better soon, i'm sure that hurt like hell.

Feb 19, 2013 at 6:25 AM
"Huzzah!"
ChimeApple said:
Huh... well, I've never gone through something like that before so might I ask a question?
Why yes, Chime!
Thank you Frozen, how long did the left and right foot take to recover?
Well, the left one was probably about 3 weeks, and it's only got some mild scarring, but it only needed band aids (though large ones) and anti-biotic cream from the very beginning, so it was never that bad. The right foot was a totally different story (probably because my left shoe stayed on the whole time but my right shoe came off inside the fryer). The right foot finally healed up enough that there are no more open areas on it, and that happened a little less than a week ago. Also, I had to get a skin graft on my right foot (because part of it was burnt too much to heal on it's own), so the doctor took skin from my thigh and used that on my foot, which means I had another area on my thigh that needed to heal, and that is still fairly tender and it's been about three weeks or so for that, but it would've healed a lot quicker had it not gotten infected (but that's gone now).

Ultimate Nerd-meister said:
When I heard "work-related accident" and "Arby's", I thought "it had something to do with the fryer, didn't it?". And, would you know, I was right. That being said, that was horrible what happened to you. And to make matters worse, I WORK AT MCDONALD'S!!!!
It's okay, just tell them my story if they ever ask you to do anything that requires you to reach above the fryers, and tell them that you're sure the company doesn't want to pay for a major incident. Everybody wins! :D

Wild Desu said:
Do your feet smell like fries?

(and ouch D: )
Actually, no. Too bad though, cuz that would be awesome.

Lace said:
Did you at least get worker's comp?

also that sounds no less than mildly painful (and probably surpasses even amazingly painful)
alsoalso glad to have you back!
Yep, it's about 75% of what I'd usually get, but that's just the way it goes. Luckily staying at my parents saved me a lot on my expenses, and my parents didn't want any money for the trouble of taking care of me, feeding me, giving me free electricity and water, and feeding me... and feeding me... I think I eat more than they do combined...

Btw, I could put up some pics sometime in the near future (when I get them off my phone and onto my computer), but I expect most people would rather I didn't, lol. :p

On a serious note though, it was worse than I could've imagined it would be. Burns really suck, because they end up a lot worse than they look; it's not at all like cuts because the skin gets effectively killed and it just doesn't heal. The whole thing has been pretty crazy. Glad the hard part is over. And I'm VERY fortunate. There was another guy that worked at some other Arby's who actually got his entire leg stuck in a fryer (not sure how) and he had to have it amputated... yes, I consider myself extremely fortunate.

Feb 19, 2013 at 4:51 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
ouch

ouch

OUCH

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:28 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
dang.... if getting burned by a candle hurt that much then... WOW OW
lol jk.. but glad to hear your recovery is going well.