2.5D Doukutsu Monogatari.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:23 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Has anyone thought of using parallax scrolling, and pseudo 3D graphics for cave story? Shouldn't be that hard, but I really think it would bring even more life into Doukutsu Monogatari.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:40 PM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Ha, I thought you were DragonBoots.

Cave Story is a little 2.5D, moving backgrounds-wise? But you probably mean more Guxt style with the clouds, right? The only way that would be implemented would be in a mod, since everyone knows Cave Story is the best, and can't be improved.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:03 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
If I'm thinking what you're thinking then it's probably impossible. However it might as well be, since I know about programming as much as I know about the Andromeda galaxy. So wait for some dude like Noxid or DB to post some stuff that should explain something.

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:16 PM
Creating A Legacy...
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
I think he means real 2.5D like a 3D engine but from the side. Don't know, i guess it would be possible but doubt it would ever be made. do you mean like this

Jun 22, 2010 at 11:48 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
If you wanted something like that Megaman 2.5D video, then it would be extremely hard to implement.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:31 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This would be a lifetime's project in assembly.
Although it could probably I guess be done from scratch in some language or another with like.. directX and stuff I don't know.

Also, I think he means stuff like Kirby 64. That was a good game.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:14 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Noxid said:
This would be a lifetime's project in assembly.
Although it could probably I guess be done from scratch in some language or another with like.. directX and stuff I don't know.

Also, I think he means stuff like Kirby 64. That was a good game.

Exactly, cave story in 3D, but restricted to a 2D plane. Also, I wouldn't use DX, mostly because it is not cross platform, it's windows only, I'd probably use openGL, since it's supported on windows, mac, linux, freeBSD, openBSD, netBSD, any other 'NIX and any operating system you can think of. Also think of sonic 4 (No clue on the status of that game), it's based off the concept of the classic sonic games, it's 3D, but restricted to a 2D plane. Also, with 3D graphics, we are not using sprites, so blowing up the game to a large screen won't appear pixelated.

Unfortunately, I am not a developer, I do know some coding, but not much. Watch as I magically create code right in front of your eyes!
Code:
#import <stdio.h>
main(){
printf("Oh hi there. I created some code. Now compile it will ya.");
}

It's C. Huzzah. Right off the top of my head. The largest program I've made was about 150 lines. It was pretty fun to make though.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:22 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
I guess you could make it with just animated entities. But even then it would be limited to one map which isn't exactly fap material.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:43 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt!!!!!
"Keep on rollin'!"
Oy, people, couple things needed for you guys to understand.

1. This is not, nor ever will be a CS mod. It would have to made from scratch.

2. You need modelers. Lots of them, to make everything in the game. Or one, but it would be better to have multiple people.

3. Coding would take a long time. Trying to get 3D collisions correct would not be easy. Not to mention trying to replicate CS in another code. Heck, we don't even have it's source code, so we have no idea how it works in it's entirety.

And no, alas, I have no 3D game engine. Well, I do, but there's a crapton of stuff that needs to be done beforehand. Like learning the code for it. And making models. (Blender is the game making engine, if anyone's curious (Heck, I'm not quite sure if it's for FPS's only, or one can make full 3d games with it, so no judging me))

Edit: I'm not killing anyone's ideas, just pointing out that to make a CS mod like this would be rather hard, if it's even possible. It's doable in a different, preferably meant for 3d engine, it just requires a lot of dedication.

Methinks this doth not qualifith for a mod...eth. BLARGH. FAIL OLD ENGLISH IS FAIL.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
WoodenRat said:
I guess you could make it with just animated entities. But even then it would be limited to one map which isn't exactly fap material.

Wut.:eek:

That's messed up