Eli
Reaction score

Profile posts Postings About

• today is, technically, evergreen's 3rd anniversary! wack!

i wish i could say i had a new demo or even the full game ready, but sadly i do not. have this cool drawing instead

cs6dles.png
    i continue to not be dead! life has uh, been hectic as of late - i had a major surgery last week and i'm off work for 6 weeks to recover, so i'm hoping i can get some serious progress done on evergreen...

speaking of, i went over frigid cavern's tileset, and redrew (pretty much all of) the tiles to be unique instead of vanilla recolours - very happy with the result! i need to make tilesets more, they're a lot of fun :]
    Screen Shot 2023-10-15 at 9.49.05 pm.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-15 at 9.49.18 pm.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-15 at 9.49.31 pm.pngScreen Shot 2023-10-15 at 9.50.12 pm.png
    :P_
    niceee
    IdioticBaka1824
    IdioticBaka1824
    "just had a major surgery... let me immediately start working more on my cave story mod"
    you are crazy. but also deeply respected.
    nice work.
    Eli
    Eli
    i mean hey, it wasn't a surgery on my arms, so i can still draw just fine...

also, thanks!
    I AIN'T DEAD
    Screen Shot 2023-08-15 at 9.06.24 pm.png
    Eli
    Eli
    yeah, i still need to tweak the tileset further - mostly need decoration tiles but that's a good point about the square block
    as for the weapons... i'm not quite sure what to do with them, since i can't just swap out their sprites for silhouetted ones, i'll probably leave them as-is since it's a short level... and yes, it's meant to be a paw-print!
    i love the clouds
    Eli
    Eli
    thanks! it's just the cloud generator from the ending cutscenes with the sprites recoloured to black, works pretty well!

in the final stages of pre-release polish, though progress is slow... seems my adhd hell brain is focused back on modding at the moment though, so i'm hoping it'll hold on till i can get this update out lol

in other news, i've been trying to work through my game backlog, and managed to finish nier automata and silent hill 2, both of which i greatly enjoyed, and i've just begun rainworld after being various levels of harassed to do so by several friends

oops i'm here to announce another delay in the evergreen update, but for good reasons for once: freeware now supports multiple tile layers (thanks to periwinkle!) and i am going absolutely nuts with the decoration
    Serri
    Serri
    Looks hella nice. Really makes something like a sewer tileset much easier to work with
    X-Calibar
    X-Calibar
    Do you have control over the background tile movement speed btw? And is there a limit to 2 tile layers (front, background), maybe an X,Y offset for a 3D-ish effect?

Being able to move the background at a slower set speed, could make for some very interesting foreshadowing (is that the best word? Showing a giant area in the background, slowly coming into view.) Or with X-amount of background layers; directing the player back and forth weaving deeper into the background layers... Seeing where you are going.

Anyway, looking good~ I can appreciate spending extra time making it look just right :D
    Eli
    Eli
    ty!
    as for how it works, it's fairly limited and not any kind of parallax - four layers, only one's solid - but it does mean the curse of trying to have a background behind a slope tile is finally over

still can't really post anything too interesting due to aforementioned spoilers but i have some exciting news - the last boss for this new area is complete!
    this means the update itself is more or less closing in to the finish line, i've still got a decent amount to polish/implement but if i keep up this pace maybe i'll be able to push a release sometime next month...
    i can't post any recent progress on evergreen cause it's all spoiler heavy, but rest assured i'm still actively working on it!

no promise on a release date, but i'm close to done with designing the new area - i need to implement a boss, draw some CGs, then the sequence to return back to the hub - and after that it's just polishing, polishing and more polishing (and harassing my friends into bugtesting it for me) until a public release!

Screen Shot 2023-01-21 at 12.12.26 pm.png
    Serri
    Serri
    Damn, posting nsfw here :p
    existingaccount
    existingaccount
    i have a feeling that the censor bar is actually just there and the robot in this image is not naked at all
    Serri
    Serri
    Don't make me quote a certain subreddit...
    i don't know what stars aligned for my brain to let me focus on evergreen again but i'm glad it's lasted long enough to finally finish that major update AND keep bugfixing/polishing... riding this motivation wave for as long as i can lmao
    HaydenStudios
    HaydenStudios
    Hooray!
    X-Calibar
    X-Calibar
    Demo spotted!!! (Yes... I didn't notice an update until now.)
    IMPORTANT EVERGREEN NEWS:
    i have reached 420 flags. nice.

oh yeah and here's some teaser screenshots or whatever
    Screen Shot 2022-10-24 at 11.22.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 11.16.38 am.png
    HaydenStudios
    HaydenStudios
    Cool, 400 flags, that's quite a lot.
    Serri
    Serri
    Whatever you do, do not touch Flag 0431, worst mistake of my life
    8c1l9r.jpg
    'hm i wonder how long it's been since the last major evergreen update'

> december last year

'ah fuck'

...yeah, all i really have is the usual excuses - work's been taking up a lot of my energy and i can't wrangle my brain into being interested in modding at the moment, so even though i'm almost done with this next big update i haven't been making any progress and it's really frustrating!!! gah!!!

hum, i guess i did redraw caret's portraits recently, there's that...

(new)
    fayce.png(old)
    existingaccount
    existingaccount
    they honestly look worse imo, but i do think they show more personality and identity.
    X-Calibar
    X-Calibar
    Still looking forward to it :D Both look good to me. New ones are closer to anime standard? (Nice!) Also seems to mostly not meet your gaze leading to a different impression vs the old ones. Which have more of a piercing stare.
    extremely brief progress update for evergreen: finally finished the graphic for an optional cutscene... and promptly realised that it being the only one of its kind makes it stick out, so i'm thinking of having an optional CG cutscene in each area - 4 in total (beginning area (though maybe that's covered by the intro image?), each 3 teleporter locations), not including the planned joke ending, but we'll see...

Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 2.08.52 pm 1.png

i've also been working on cleaning up/implementing sidequests, and generally polishing stuff, but if i give a deadline for this update's release i will 100% miss it so i'll just finish this off with a 'it's still being worked on lol' :p
    Orbit
    Orbit
    Looks great! And a cool idea for area transitions too
    HaydenStudios
    HaydenStudios
    Very nice looking art! Looking forward to where you go next with Evergreen.
    finished silent hill origins last night
    10/10 game you can beat up horrible flesh monsters with your bare fists
    things have happened today! wow!
    - i have aged (21! holy shit! nothing interesting happens at 21 over here in terms of legal rights 'cause we get pretty much all that stuff at 18 but hey, milestone's a milestone)
    - i have been on HRT for one year (woah! transgender 2 unlocked!)
    - i have finally been motivated to work on evergreen again (paused development for a while due to picking up extra shifts at work as well as modfest)
    Orbit
    Orbit
    Happy birthday (If I'm not too late)! And congrats on enduring HRT for a whole year.
    I'm pleased to hear you garnered some motivation for your mod with everything you're dealing with. Haven't touched Cave Story or any of its mod since I joined but I'm happy to see you make progress on it.
    Cibryll
    Cibryll
    oh uh
    belated happy birthday
    while it's still gonna be a while till i release anything even remotely public, evergreen's latest update has been finished to its demo end screen - meaning i've designed everything up to a natural stopping point and you can play from the beginning of the mod till there... i just have a lot of polishing to do lol.

in the meantime, enjoy these fellas:
    pignonemies.png
    okay i've asked elsewhere and never got an answer, but wtf is going on with the forums randomly kicking me back to the tribute site homepage?? it's been happening for a while - i'll be randomly scrolling through the main forums page or a thread and out of nowhere without pressing anything it'll suddenly switch to the homepage... i access the forums directly via a bookmark so it's not a case of accidentally going back a page, i'm really not sure what's going on
    DoubleThink
    DoubleThink
    Try clearing out the site cookies and logging back in fresh
  • Loading…
  • Loading…