Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

q3hardcore
q3hardcore
Really looking to set some precedents, in any way.
ColdCallerLoopy
ColdCallerLoopy
I'm confused, are you implying you're asking for people to lead forward in a new era of mods? Or are you asking for people to join you in a project of yours?
If you're implying for people to lead; I for instance, am just working on my mod, give us some time.
But if you mean for people to join you in a project then I'd very much have to decline, I have my own mod to work on, sorry.
Serri
Serri
Yeah, mods will forever be the same, unless there's something we've been lacking in your own creative thinking. In any case, we're happy to know what it is. Unless all you want is asm help, then in that case, may i suggest joining the CSMC and ask to help work on Project Chocolate
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
People could put more effort into the initial release of their mods.
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
I think Project Chocolate would be a nice framework for some, but I have my own plans. If you could get more people on board with such existing projects, that'd be great.
Serri
Serri
I don't see why I would be the one doing that, I'm just a Sailor Scout who just likes taking modding at my own pace. And hey, like i said before, perhaps a mod by you could show us for what to do for a initial release, to set for as an example
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
Not mine, but I really liked The Temple of Unusuals.
Serri
Serri
Oh boy, a new TF2 map that gives us a free unusual! /s

I haven't gotten far in that mod, the story seemed interesting, but the gameplay feels very... I Wanna Be The Guy. But hey, whatever floats your boat, man.
ColdCallerLoopy
ColdCallerLoopy
I understand you want people to put more effort in their initial releases but you wouldn't want to get 80% or more through your mod, upload what you have, only to have a plethora of errors, bugs and spelling errors that can easily drive the creator mad due to being overwhelmed and possibly having to change many things in consequence of a bug or two.

I'm guilty of it myself when making my mod, ACSS, I released the first demo in order to get feedback and some ideas for my mod later down the line. Just about every mod ever, with the exception of about a dozen, have been made by solo modders including myself; we don't have extraneous testers or debug-testers that can do our work for us. We need to make assets, scripts, art, and test the damn product little by little to ensure it's all good to our own standards.

Nobody's perfect, we all screw up, we don't want to be delayed anymore than we want to be. Remember, some people's first mods are the best they think they've ever done, go easy on 'em. And people who have been in the scene for some time and more, just want to get some thoughts and help because we're all one to two man teams; we need every crutch we can get.

Your initial release isn't perfect, neither was mine, or anybody's for that matter; our mods are iron rods, they need to be refined, little by little. You don't want to be smashing that hammer in 9 different places at once, you need to take it slowly, one place at a time and smooth-en it out over the course of however it takes. Just make sure the water you're using to cool that iron isn't hot.
EnlightenedOne
EnlightenedOne
If you want a new golden-age of modding, you have to take the first leap and entice people to follow.

We are hobbyists, if you are modding for someone else other than yourself, there's something wrong.
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
A lot is wrong in this world.
Serri
Serri
Then do something about it. We can't fix the imperfections that bother you, that's entirely up to you to solve. We're sorry to be a burden to you.
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
Cave Story was released more than 10 years ago. Will there still be a modding scene 10 years from now? Who knows. When I released my function list, I thought people could make use of it. Though now it seems no one is sufficiently skilled and/or motivated. When I released my Ikachan preview, I thought maybe someone would offer to help me with it, but that didn't really happen. Tell me to make a first step? I already did, and nothing of note transpired. That's all fine. Those who feel genuine inspiration toward Cave Story, something I cannot claim to have, should do more to inspire others. Why bring morality into something that doesn't hurt anyone?
Serri
Serri
Then keep pushing, now's a good time to show it all to the csmc and get their input. Giving up is never the answer
Serri
Serri
The modding scene is much different now than it was when you joined. Just present again, limiting yourself to only the forums won't help, however. Discord's where the greater activity is happening
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
I'm tempted to just go back to Minecraft modding. It was more rewarding.
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
The modding scene has changed, there are fewer talented people. And Discord is a joke.
ColdCallerLoopy
ColdCallerLoopy
We're trying to give you solutions, steps foward or at the least explanations, you need to understand; we're a smaller community with less resources and manpower compared to say the minecraft community. If you feel us 1 man teams aren't doing our best or feel we're not making fast enough releases then I suggest you take your work elsewhere.
Serri
Serri
What do you mean by fewer modders? We have a LOT of talented modders:

BLink
Jables
Enlight
Thomas Xin
Blu
Raymundo
Noxid
Clownacy
Safusaka
TLinkan (idk who they are)
Dunc
Seasons

And many more, so I don't see what your big deal is. If you don't wanna keep up, then do whatever the fuck you want, it's your choice.
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
No. We have more resources - Cave Story is an x86 Windows application that largely utilizes standard file types. There are a lot of tools and documentation out there which would be useful. Some of the most popular Minecraft mods were not created by teams. The difference is that they were willing to put more time in. I would suggest you take your work elsewhere, and find something where your effort is more fruitful.