I can't translate interface of Cave Story. Please Help!

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:40 AM
Novice Member
"Officially Worth 1 Rupee"
I can't translate interface of Cave Story(2004).

I open the cave editor and translate a "pbm" file I want into Turkish and close the cave editor, then I try to open cave story, but the "pbm" file I try to translate does not work and gives an error. For example, I was changing "Loading.pbm" in cave editor and after it finished I opened cave story, but the file "loading.pbm" I tried to change did not work and it into the errorlog. I hope I hope I was able to explain my problem. Please help me guys, I want to translate Cave Story.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:20 AM
"Huzzah!"
since i'm not sure how Cave Editor handles it, unless someone who does know chimes in, i recommend opening up the game in Booster's Lab instead - it will automatically remove the protection from the graphics and turn them into .bmps that you can actually edit and save (just don't forget to 'save all' in Booster's Lab before closing)

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:20 PM
"Huzzah!"
since i'm not sure how Cave Editor handles it, unless someone who does know chimes in, i recommend opening up the game in Booster's Lab instead - it will automatically remove the protection from the graphics and turn them into .bmps that you can actually edit and save (just don't forget to 'save all' in Booster's Lab before closing)
In Cave Editor, you can go to "Game Settings" (or something like that, it's a button near the top of the right side of the window) and click "Remove (C)pixel requirement", then click save.

At least, that's what I remember.

Sep 27, 2021 at 11:46 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The instructions given by ItsKaitlyn are correct and should solve your problem.

Just to elaborate on what's going on, all the Cave Story image files have a little hex string at the end which spells "(C)Pixel" to indicate that it's a legitimate Cave Story image, and if it doesn't, the game throws an error and exits out like you were experiencing. Back in the old days, people used to manually edit images on an individual basis and add this "(C)Pixel" string to all edited images, or they would find the "(C)Pixel" string in the exe and remove it, which would remove the requirement for images, so that you don't have to go into a hex editor and add it every time you make a change to an image. Eventually, editors came around that just automatically remove the requirement for you so that you don't have to worry about this anymore. Cave Editor has a simple check box that does it, and Booster's Lab just automatically does it behind the scenes when you open up a game.