Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2019 at 4:35 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Dec 13, 2019 at 4:52 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
You do know that's a thread from this forum, right? Who wouldn't know? :greydroll:
I dunno. Just put it there in case someone stumbles in here and doesn't know.

Dec 13, 2019 at 6:50 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
With an eye on the no hacking the wiiware port rule it's a bit of a question on wether this is okay to have here or not (partially since this can decrease the need to buy the actual switch port) but I suppose we just gotta wait and see what the admins may say.
That being said this is pretty interesting, I don't want to do homebrew on my own systems but it's cool to see that something like this is possible.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:25 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
With an eye on the no hacking the wiiware port rule it's a bit of a question on wether this is okay to have here or not (partially since this can decrease the need to buy the actual switch port) but I suppose we just gotta wait and see what the admins may say.
That being said this is pretty interesting, I don't want to do homebrew on my own systems but it's cool to see that something like this is possible.

I thought it'd be alright since there's already a thread for a Wii port of CSE2. (https://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/cave-story-engine-2-wii-port.14755/)

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:55 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The Wiiware version of CS can no longer be purchased due to the discontinuation of the Wii Shop. The wii port can't hurt sales.

This is a different matter. Your port could actively hurt sales. Please take it down.

There are a multitude of systems that could use CS other than the Switch.

Dec 13, 2019 at 10:59 PM
CSE Discord Admin
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Wouldn't CSE2E hurt the sales of CS+ on Steam?

EDIT: NXengine-evo has a Switch port as well. If being based on reverse-engineered source code is a problem, then all CSE2 ports are a problem.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2019 at 10:59 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
The Wiiware version of CS can no longer be purchased due to the discontinuation of the Wii Shop. The wii port can't hurt sales.

This is a different matter. Your port could actively hurt sales. Please take it down.

There are a multitude of systems that could use CS other than the Switch.

I won't be taking it off of GitHub, but feel free to delete this thread then. It doesn't look like I have permission.

Dec 14, 2019 at 2:15 AM
Soup Man
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
tyrone moment

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:56 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Congratulations NiCALiS, you've stifled the homebrew port scene for over a decade so that you could serve us repeatedly half-baked content that isn't worth my entire pocket lint collection.

Also making us wait almost an extra 10 years to get 2X scaling in any mod. (or just vanilla freeware for that matter!)
Now that this has been brought to my attention, I'm legitimately upset over these actions.

Wouldn't CSE2E hurt the sales of CS+ on Steam?

EDIT: NXengine-evo has a Switch port as well. If being based on reverse-engineered source code is a problem, then all CSE2 ports are a problem.

Also yeah, I fail to see the logical connection of not caring about NXengine-evo, but banning CSE2 Switch on site, I thought we were finally cool with porting to anything/everything as long as it didn't take any of NiCALiS's (shitty) 2X art and (also shitty) translation. (plus the like, 3 good things added, like puppy stacking and wind fortress, but that's beside the point) /:

Dec 14, 2019 at 8:40 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
I thought we were finally cool with porting to anything/everything as long as it didn't take any of NiCALiS's (shitty) 2X art and (also shitty) translation. (plus the like, 3 good things added, like puppy stacking and wind fortress, but that's beside the point) /:
Don't forget that fan games and such partially get taken down because they can grow to become an alternative for the related company's games: why buy Pokémon Sword or Shield if there is a free Pokémon game made by fans that is a ton better? (Whereas mods of most games still require you to get the game itself)
For Cave Story this hasn't been a problem on pc because the freeware version is out there and allowed to be shared anyway, as long as the CS+ assets and content isn't being put into it. Having a free Switch version however can be more problematic because why get the Switch port if you can just run an open source version, especially when it has such a high price.
It can always happen that Nicalis may be cool with it but I highly doubt the chances are that high, and I think @andwhyisit doesn't want to recieve complaints from Nicalis either way?
I may just be saying nonsense here but this is what I feel could be going on but correct me if I'm wrong.

Dec 14, 2019 at 11:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
What Mint said is indeed the case.

Dec 14, 2019 at 4:28 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Don't forget that fan games and such partially get taken down because they can grow to become an alternative for the related company's games: why buy Pokémon Sword or Shield if there is a free Pokémon game made by fans that is a ton better? (Whereas mods of most games still require you to get the game itself)
For Cave Story this hasn't been a problem on pc because the freeware version is out there and allowed to be shared anyway, as long as the CS+ assets and content isn't being put into it. Having a free Switch version however can be more problematic because why get the Switch port if you can just run an open source version, especially when it has such a high price.
It can always happen that Nicalis may be cool with it but I highly doubt the chances are that high, and I think @andwhyisit doesn't want to recieve complaints from Nicalis either way?
I may just be saying nonsense here but this is what I feel could be going on but correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't want to say much more here but I think there's a huge misunderstanding of how easy it is to get homebrew on the Switch:

- Only 1st gen units are vulnerable
- You need specific (albeit cheap) hardware
- You put yourself at a decent riak of being banned from online services

It's a road almost noone goes down; it's not like the Wii where it's super easy and there's no consequences. If your question then becomes "then why did you port it?": because I wanted to see if I could. I payed for CS+ and all my other Switch games; I'm not here to pirate. CS+ contains so many more features over this and is so much more convenient to play that I can't possibly imagine sales being impacted more than 0.001%. I completely understand not wanting to step on NICALIS' toes but sales is not how I'd be stepping on them.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 4:33 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
why buy Pokémon Sword or Shield if there is a free Pokémon game made by fans that is a ton better? (Whereas mods of most games still require you to get the game itself)

in CS's case, the base game is freeware and can't get yeeted by NiCALiS.

I think, what you've said above is nothing less than direct competition, why WOULD you play a version of the game that forces different art/music/translation, that's all you are buying when you get NiCALiS's version, and some people don't want to buy that. Why shouldn't they have an alternative to play a version they think is better, when it was already free over a decade before this port?

The argument I'm seeing here is that you shouldn't be able to play the freeware version on any platform where NiCALiS is trying to sell a copy of the game. Why does this argument not extend to PC?

Mint said:
What Mint said is indeed the case.

I completely understand having to suck Tyrone's dick to keep the forums up, and not having to bother with any legal trouble. As an admin, I definitively wouldn't want to deal with something like that either. I just want you guys to be transparent about the issue and not give bullshit like "It takes sales from NiCALiS's CS Switch". If people don't want to buy the art/music/translation, but are forced to, just to play a freeware game on a certain platform, they should have the choice to access freeware without having to buy anything attached to it If people don't want the features of NiCALiS's version, that doesn't take a sale from NiCALiS, other than the fact that the consumer doesn't have any other option! In fact, this is almost getting into tying legal territory, but one of the products was already free to begin with, and game companies have been doing this for decades, so who am I to jump in and say otherwise.

The fact that the freeware version even can be compared to to the NiCALiS version says so much about how similar they are, and how little NiCALiS cared about updated the base game. If this conversation was about the spelunky, nobody would be having this argument whatsoever.

Adding onto/modifying/porting freeware and selling it (with licensing) = ok
Claiming that adding onto/modifying/porting the original freeware is no longer legal = not ok

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 5:52 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
I completely understand having to suck Tyrone's dick to keep the forums up, and not having to bother with any legal trouble. As an admin, I definitively wouldn't want to deal with something like that either. I just want you guys to be transparent about the issue and not give bullshit like "It takes sales from NiCALiS's CS Switch".
As far as I'm aware neither of us are legal experts or forum admins but it's less sucking dick and more just not wanting to deal with legal issues.
What I mentioned above is just because I feel like that's what behind it, but its not like I agree with it myself (And I prefer girls over guys anyway).
If you disagree with this not being okay then just accept it on your modding server and tell people not to buy the switch port if they dont want to fork over 30€ for a slightly updated version of the freeware game.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 6:37 PM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
People will buy Cave Story's commercial releases even if there's a better fan release because "It's the real deal", I got the switch version only because it added new features that nobody in the modding community had bothered to attempt up to that point, not because it was on the Switch.

Our modding scene has evolved to the point where we have source code access, and with that, we can spark some actual competition, thus, making future commercial releases of the game better than they would be had we just stayed stagnant like things were for years. Imagine what it'll be like if we had a proper new game +, or extra areas that were actually playable in the main story, or online co op. There's alot of potential!

From what I can tell, it's not NICALiS that cares that much about the homebrew versions, but rather, the admins of this site.
So long as you're not using NICALiS's assets and not making money off of it, you're not infringing on anything other than the legality of making homebrew for a specific platform.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:08 PM
The TideWalker
"That dog!"
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:41 PM
War criminal
Let's just bring back the original Doukutsu2X executable. I'm sure someone has a copy of it. *cough*

Dec 14, 2019 at 11:02 PM
Deliverer of Sweets
Status
Not open for further replies.