Gamepad not working

Oct 7, 2018 at 5:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Alright, so I have played this game in the past, and I have gone all the way through it with a usb xbox360 controller. Today, I have attempted to play this game that same controller, but for whatever reason, it will not work. I have checked and unchecked the box, I have fiddled with the config settings, and I have even tried a different controller, but to no avail. These controllers still do work, I have tested them. Cave Story is just being weird. And because I intend to try and speedrun this game, I cant really use the keyboard, for it will not be nearly as effective as a controller.
I have not been able to find answers on any other discussion, and so I must make one here. Thank you.

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:57 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
First of all I would recommend against using a x360 controller for something like Cave Story considering it's the kinda game where you'd rather want a d-pad, and without modding cave story will likely instead respond only to your left joystick and not your d-pad (And either way x360 has a horrible d-pad regardless).

One thing you can try is to check the gamepad option in the configuration, make sure your controller is plugged in/connected BEFORE launching the game and launch the game. If it still doesn't work, check if the game still responds to the keyboard, if not then usually that's an indication of a controller being detected if I'm not wrong.

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:38 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
First of all I would recommend against using a x360 controller for something like Cave Story considering it's the kinda game where you'd rather want a d-pad, and without modding cave story will likely instead respond only to your left joystick and not your d-pad (And either way x360 has a horrible d-pad regardless).

One thing you can try is to check the gamepad option in the configuration, make sure your controller is plugged in/connected BEFORE launching the game and launch the game. If it still doesn't work, check if the game still responds to the keyboard, if not then usually that's an indication of a controller being detected if I'm not wrong.

I have attempted this; it is detecting the controller, but the game, nonetheless, is still not letting me use a gamepad. Btw, I am attempting this with both an x360 controller and a wii u pro controller.

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:27 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Both at the same time?

Oct 8, 2018 at 4:58 AM
"Huzzah!"
You are talking about the original Cave Story version 1.0.0.6, right? I just tested it out on my PC with an xbox 360 usb controller and it works fine on my end.

I have Windows 8.1 Pro with all drivers up to date and I do have additional drivers installed for using a GameCube and Wii controller, but they are not plugged in - just my xbox controller was plugged in when testing this.
The d-pad doesn't move and that cannot be changed, ofc, so you're stuck with the left analog stick for movement.

I'm not sure what the deal is on your end, but I hope you figure it out.
I'd say try another usb port as well, but if that port is working for other games, that shouldn't be the issue. That's all I got. Good luck!

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:53 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Both at the same time?
No
You are talking about the original Cave Story version 1.0.0.6, right? I just tested it out on my PC with an xbox 360 usb controller and it works fine on my end.

I have Windows 8.1 Pro with all drivers up to date and I do have additional drivers installed for using a GameCube and Wii controller, but they are not plugged in - just my xbox controller was plugged in when testing this.
The d-pad doesn't move and that cannot be changed, ofc, so you're stuck with the left analog stick for movement.

I'm not sure what the deal is on your end, but I hope you figure it out.
I'd say try another usb port as well, but if that port is working for other games, that shouldn't be the issue. That's all I got. Good luck!
I'll try that, thanks.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:44 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Turns out the problem was VJoy. I had to uninstall it because my Cave Story was connected to that instead of any other controller I'd use. That's all.
Only took 2 months to find out.