The Cave Story preservation thread

Jul 3, 2018 at 5:42 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Cs3d butchered the graphics to be honest. It also made it much easier because you can have 93hp.

Jul 4, 2018 at 2:32 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Have any of you people played the game you are apparently criticising?

I mean like, there's an entire thread dedicated to some of the problems with it, which should save you about 50 dollars
(https://www.cavestory.org/forums/th...y-fifty-little-errors-in-cave-story-3ds.4845/)
Did you actually read the thread? It is ZT taking a bunch of minor issues and turning them into a friggin' essay. None of these detract from the game.

Cs3d butchered the graphics to be honest. It also made it much easier because you can have 93hp.
The enemies are buffed up to match the hp you get. No, it isn't "easier" (unless you intended a min-hp run).

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 3:21 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The enemies are buffed up to match the hp you get. No, it isn't "easier" (unless you intended a min-hp run).
I never liked that idea of 93 hp, it reminds me of why I'm not a fan of most rpgs like Final Fantasy, that idea of having such high values that can sometimes be pointless since the enemies are scaled too. It's the reason I find the Fire Emblem franchise a lot of fun since most hp values don't go anywhere near 80 (except for maybe a final boss).

Jul 4, 2018 at 6:58 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"

In the damage or AI? I can't get this game myself, sorry.

Jul 4, 2018 at 7:15 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:49 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Did you actually read the thread? It is ZT taking a bunch of minor issues and turning them into a friggin' essay. None of these detract from the game.

Yes I did, and I'm really, really sorry if I'm being rude, but did you actually read this thread? I quoted the "Cons" section. "Cons" are disadvantages, and I believe that slowdown falls in that category. No one ever said that it detracted from the game, I was just merely confirming if slowdown was an issue in Cave Story 3D, because I recall seeing it while watching other people play the game.

Let's not fight over this, alright?

Welp, this was a silly mistake, wasn't it?
(See posts below)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:59 PM
Based Member
the different Humble Bundle versions of CS+
What are the differences?
I'm not up on all the differences, but I think they somewhat mirrored the updates that were given to the Steam version in the few years following the original CS+ release. Various bugfixes (such as the Wind Fortress timer glitch and the Sanctuary time attack glitch), and added features like the Machine Gun Challenge, the action replay feature (which I don't think ever quite worked), and maybe the ability to share your score on a leaderboard (which I don't think ever quite worked either). I know that none of these features are present in the Humble Bundle version originally released in 2011.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:55 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Yes I did, and I'm really, really sorry if I'm being rude, but did you actually read this thread? I quoted the "Cons" section. "Cons" are disadvantages, and I believe that slowdown falls in that category. No one ever said that it detracted from the game, I was just merely confirming if slowdown was an issue in Cave Story 3D, because I recall seeing it while watching other people play the game.
Oh, sorry, I quoted the wrong post by mistake. That was meant to be directed at Deathbear's post, not yours. I've edited my post so it should be clearer what I was trying to say.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:58 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Oh, sorry, I quoted the wrong post by mistake. That was meant to be directed at Deathbear's post, not yours.

Oops... I'm so sorry... I can come off as a little aggressive every once and a while. I'm glad it was a misunderstanding. Again, so sorry.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 2:56 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
1. Cave Story (DSi) This one is so hard to find it might as well be lost media, despite many people just having it on their DS's. I have looked everywhere for a rom dump and emulator, but I can't find it. Even if someone here finds a rom of it, they can't share it due to it being illegal. It's a shame as this version is pretty unique compared to the 3ds eshop port.

The only version that is under threat of going lost is Cave Story (3ds) as the eshop will close eventually. This will be a shame, as it's the only way to have the original sprites in stereoscopic 3D. Hope that rom get dumped somewhere in the mean time.

I did a little bit of research for those two versions of the game.

I have found the 3DS version as a .3ds file and converted it so that the emulator could run it:

bcomp

As for the DSIWare version, I do have a rom dump that (surprise surprise) does not work.
Although I saw that someone was converting every DSIWare to make them compatible with a special loader for the DSi.

Jul 7, 2018 at 5:45 PM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
As for the DSIWare version, I do have a rom dump that (surprise surprise) does not work.
Although I saw that someone was converting every DSIWare to make them compatible with a special loader for the DSi.
Oh, that's good. I really want CSDSi to be preserved

Jul 8, 2018 at 7:24 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Its good to see people interested in game preservation.
Cave Story DSiWare is actually preserved, excluding the Japanese version. In fact, the Japanese version of Cave Story is the last unpreserved DSiWare game (possibly excluding some 3DS exclusive revisions of other games).
Does anyone here own it? It can't be bought or even re-downloaded anymore, because it was removed from the server (which rarely happens on the Nintendo CDNs).

Jul 9, 2018 at 12:57 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Its good to see people interested in game preservation.
Cave Story DSiWare is actually preserved, excluding the Japanese version. In fact, the Japanese version of Cave Story is the last unpreserved DSiWare game (possibly excluding some 3DS exclusive revisions of other games).
Does anyone here own it? It can't be bought or even re-downloaded anymore, because it was removed from the server (which rarely happens on the Nintendo CDNs).
I have it.

Actually, I have most of the CS versions.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:38 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:19 PM
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:25 PM
War criminal
He was probably wondering if you could email him the rom, most likely.

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:34 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"