NetXEngine - NXEngine-evo with online multiplayer

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:21 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
It's not incredibly far in, but I'm confident enough in what I've made to show it off.
Enemies aren't synced yet, but TSC events, players, and player shots are.
Planned features include: full save data syncing (not writing to file), joining mid-game, fully synced enemies and bosses, different player skins, and an easily moddable API for other mod creators to easily sync their custom content.
Also shoutouts to @root as he's gonna be helping me out in making this

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 3:44 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
That looks promising.
Do you plan to merge it back to nxengine-evo?

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:27 AM
As cool as that'd be, it may not be the best idea as it only supports Windows. Adding Linux support wouldn't be impossible but if it were to happen it probably wouldn't be until after the game is fully synced on Windows, and Mac has a 0% chance of ever happening. Unless you'd be cool with networking features being disabled on Mac (and for a while, Linux), as well as big endian machines, then it may happen in the future once it's a bit more functional.

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:04 AM
"Huzzah!"
It's not incredibly far in, but I'm confident enough in what I've made to show it off.
Enemies aren't synced yet, but TSC events, players, and player shots are.
Planned features include: full save data syncing (not writing to file), joining mid-game, fully synced enemies and bosses, different player skins, and an easily moddable API for other mod creators to easily sync their custom content.
Also shoutouts to root as he's gonna be helping me out in making this
Do you know how far away a release could be?

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:32 AM
Optimistically I'm hoping a release could happen with up to at least Egg Corridor playable in about 2 weeks. Could take longer if I wind up unexpectedly busy, though

Jun 20, 2018 at 5:48 AM
"Huzzah!"
Optimistically I'm hoping a release could happen with up to at least Egg Corridor playable in about 2 weeks. Could take longer if I wind up unexpectedly busy, though
Gotcha

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:30 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
As cool as that'd be, it may not be the best idea as it only supports Windows. Adding Linux support wouldn't be impossible but if it were to happen it probably wouldn't be until after the game is fully synced on Windows, and Mac has a 0% chance of ever happening. Unless you'd be cool with networking features being disabled on Mac (and for a while, Linux), as well as big endian machines, then it may happen in the future once it's a bit more functional.
I'm fairly confident i'll have no trouble porting to linux and osx.

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:26 PM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Honestly I don't think this should be in the original nxengine-evo, or if it is it should be in an ifdef so it can easily be removed.

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:27 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
How about an option in settings?

Jun 20, 2018 at 1:47 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Big endian machines like what, the atari Jaguar?

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:24 PM
ARM devices mostly, which could be big endian while also running Linux.

Jun 20, 2018 at 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
How about an option in settings?
Sure, but an ifdef would still be good to easily remove all the code from the exe.

Jun 22, 2018 at 11:45 AM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
ARM devices mostly, which could be big endian while also running Linux.
They could, but in reality nobody uses BE on them.
I'm not even sure stock nxengine-evo works on BE. Never bothered to try/port.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:31 AM

Things are going along pretty smoothly. Still a few things to iron out and features to add but you can see here that Root and I can complete Egg Corridor perfectly fine. I'm functioning as the client in this video, which will give you an idea of how it'll look and play to a client. Root might post his footage he took of the session here too, to show what it was like as the host. (But that's up to him)

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:40 AM
Veteran Member
^ How it looked on my side.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:40 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Although so far it looks like a near one-to-one recreation.
Although, I would advise against releasing the engine with Cave Story+ music. If you don't get sued by NiCALiS, you'll probably end up being lampooned by the CSTSF community. That said, I don't know of any Organya DLL besides that one for Winamp that someone made a long time ago.
What the hell are you even talking about?
You do realize that it's nxengine fork (with netplay support), which, in turn, always supported org music, never distributed cs+ content and strives to be accurate recreation of original engine?
(And it does support cs+ music, but you need to own the game and copy music yourself)

Jul 5, 2018 at 3:11 AM
Veteran Member
p364987-0-jw6youg.png

Yacker added player skins (not custom, sorry) and I added chat.
We're also planning to release a demo of First Cave-Egg Corridor (and host a server) on Saturday!

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:17 PM
Created a Discord where it'll be releasing and the beta test will be held. If you'd like to participate - or just follow development in general - you should join it!
https://discord.gg/dxVUu6E