Super Better World 2

Nov 25, 2017 at 7:42 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
WHAT THE HECK IS THIS????????????
This is a Super Mario World ROM Hack that I have been working on for a couple of years now. It's harder than what you'd get out of the original Super Mario World, and it clocks in at about maybe two to four hours depending on how good you are/how many exits you decide to complete. It probably isn't as good or crazy as ROM hacks that you'd find on smwcentral, but I did put a lot of work into it and feel it's at least adequate. I've already made a couple of long write-ups regarding the info of the game, so if you want to check those out, you can read the in-depth readme.txt file included in the download, or check out this post on my blog. Those will be your best bet for learning more about the game before trying it for yourself.

Hey Tommy where do I download this game from ;););)
Download (Mirror)
There are some extra files included, so if you want to know more about those, be sure to go over the readme. If you just want to play the main game, you have to know how to patch IPS files. Patching is not too hard; you just need the Floating IPS tool (using the "apply patch" option) and a clean, untouched ROM of Super Mario World. I'll leave that up to you. Make sure you have a good SNES emulator, too. I've tested this extremely thoroughly on higan, snes9x, and ZSNES, and they all work just as fine, so take your pick.

lol who the fuck cares i just wanna watch a funny internet personality play your poorly thrown together romhack of a 25 year old video game made for children
I'll be putting videos of people who have played the game here, because I dunno, it's kinda cool to me that people would even bother playing this? So far only @Polar✪ has a video of this (he was testing an earlier version of the hack for me), but if others go out of there way to do the same, I'll make sure to link it here if I can find it. It would be fun to see how people react to this.

If you decide to play through this, thank you. If you want to leave feedback or give a summary of your adventure, be sure to make a post below. I most likely will not be updating the game, but it would still be good to hear from y'all regardless.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2017 at 4:09 AM
"Huzzah!"
I played through the start to midway of snowy flashbacks, and even though I'm novice at Super Mario World (but not the Super Mario series in general) I thoroughly enjoyed what I played so far! The level design is good, so is the art, and the choice of music nicely complements the challenges that you have to get through in each of the levels. I also thought the wall jumping blocks were neat, but I only saw the ones in the intro level. So far in my run I've gotten two game overs and two secret moons; So far I think the levels are perfectly challenging without getting too frustrating, so bravo.

I think the version of the rom I've downloaded (I downloaded from your website) might be bugged or glitched somehow. Some of the map tiles don't display correctly, and there's a warp pipe in snowy flashbacks that might have bad coordinates or something else. (The one at the end of the cloud portion of the level. The other side leads to a bottomless pit. One time I teleported straight into blackness, another nearby a metal wall. I have no idea why.)

It's cool though since I can just try out one of the other two paths that are available to me, so that's convenient. Thanks for making this, it was fun to play!

Nov 27, 2017 at 6:01 PM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
I played through the start to midway of snowy flashbacks, and even though I'm novice at Super Mario World (but not the Super Mario series in general) I thoroughly enjoyed what I played so far! The level design is good, so is the art, and the choice of music nicely complements the challenges that you have to get through in each of the levels. I also thought the wall jumping blocks were neat, but I only saw the ones in the intro level. So far in my run I've gotten two game overs and two secret moons; So far I think the levels are perfectly challenging without getting too frustrating, so bravo.
Thanks! The walljump blocks aren't used too much, but that's mostly because they're a bit quirky and I didn't want to frustrate people by making too many/overly challenging levels with them. I'm glad you think I got the challenge level right, as it was something that I tested and made minor adjustments to for a while.

I think the version of the rom I've downloaded (I downloaded from your website) might be bugged or glitched somehow. Some of the map tiles don't display correctly, and there's a warp pipe in snowy flashbacks that might have bad coordinates or something else. (The one at the end of the cloud portion of the level. The other side leads to a bottomless pit. One time I teleported straight into blackness, another nearby a metal wall. I have no idea why.)
Hmm, would it be possible to provide some screenshots? I was having issues correctly patching the file before, and the graphics would show up messy in one of the previous versions. Perhaps this is affecting a pipe too? Anyway, I got to the point where (I think) you are talking about...
p361338-0-yim4gw1.png
...is this it? If so, the pipe worked fine on my copy. It's supposed to bring you to the boss room with a black background.

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:12 AM
"Huzzah!"
Bingo, that's the one. I tried the pipe a few more times just to be sure, and here's the destination I usually get plopped in:
p361340-0-la1qrf0.png

No floor or anything, just blackness. When you fall off of the screen, you lose a life.
Coordinates are probably off, nothing seems horribly wrong about the room, it's just really empty. Even the music is still there too. I think the only thing I can do about this is re-download the rom, but I don't mind that. Say, the beginning part of the music track sounds familiar... Didn't you make one just like it for the Boss ORG contest?

*EDIT* Sorry, more screenshots of the overworld map
p361340-1-jn4ypqt.png
p361340-2-13z0by6.png

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:52 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Bingo, that's the one. I tried the pipe a few more times just to be sure, and here's the destination I usually get plopped in:
p361340-0-la1qrf0.png
*EDIT* Sorry, more screenshots of the overworld map
p361340-1-jn4ypqt.png
p361340-2-13z0by6.png
Alright, so the problem is likely one of two possibilities: the ROM I used to create the patch was flawed, or the ROM you used to patch the IPS file was flawed. I'm inclined to believe that the problem is on your end because I've talked to a few people who have played the game recently, and I haven't heard of any graphical issues from them. Then again, this isn't the first time I flubbed creating a patch, so I can't really be sure. I can send you the original ROM I used to create the patch if you're interested (or heck, I can just send the ROM hack itself). Hit me up on Discord if you want. ;)
Say, the beginning part of the music track sounds familiar... Didn't you make one just like it for the Boss ORG contest?
Yeah, actually! I'm happy somebody noticed that. I originally only transcribed that song so that I could get practice with the SMW music format, but I ended up adding boss fights to the end of each world, so using that music for the boss fights was the best option I had.

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:48 AM
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
or the ROM you used to patch the IPS file was flawed.
I suspect this would be the case. I would recommend testing the copy you have with other smw hacks to see if this problem still happens.