Finally did it!

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:47 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've been playing this game a couple of times last year on 3DS (eShop), and lately CS+.

At 3DS I never even made it to Heavy Press, but today... I took my time, got to HP, survived him, then actually defeated Ballos on my very first try! So happy. Ok, it was only on easy mode and this time I had the Spur (never knew about it before), but still a big personal archivement. :)

Love this game. Now I'm gonna start again, either with eShop or CS3D. Yay!

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:02 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Congratulations friend. Welcome to the club of people who have defeated Ballos and seen the disappointingly anticlimactic and rushed "best" ending.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:44 PM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Congratulations friend. Welcome to the club of people who have defeated Ballos and seen the disappointingly anticlimactic and rushed "best" ending.
I agreed, that ending was always so rushed.......But great job @Muyfa666, if you can, try normal mode, then hard mode and see how long it takes you to beat the core, my record is over 9000 deaths.

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:57 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I agreed, that ending was always so rushed.......But great job @Muyfa666, if you can, try normal mode, then hard mode and see how long it takes you to beat the core, my record is over 9000 deaths.
I may settle for easy for now as I really hate not finishing a game, and I'm not sure I'm hardcore enough to handle normal... ;-)

Thanks! OT - I noticed I can use Plus Porter to get the original translation, but when applying it the progress bar stays at 95%. Is that normal?

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Based Member
OT - I noticed I can use Plus Porter to get the original translation, but when applying it the progress bar stays at 95%. Is that normal?
No... That's not normal at all. Not sure why it would do that, I just now tried it and it worked for me. How many times have you tried to apply it?

In any case, you can just manually copy the files if that doesn't work. Go to the AGTPStory folder you downloaded, and copy all the files there (except for mod.txt), and paste them into your Cave Story+ directory\data\AGTPStory\mod. This should be all you need to do since it would have properly updated mods.txt in the data folder and generated the required mod.txt file in the AGTPStory folder if it made it 95% of the way.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:55 PM
Based Member
Honestly I've never really seen a problem with the ending. I always felt it nicely tied everything up.
I have to disagree. Suddenly abandoning the people you'd spent the whole game helping out just to go live with someone that you spent nearly the whole game fighting and only just realized is a good guy was very contrived an unsatisfying. Immediately after barely making it out alive, Curly's spontaneous decision to get away and let Balrog live with them was very unnatural. It seems like it would have made sense for them to spend a little bit of time evaluating the situation before deciding how to spend the rest of their days. It's like getting engaged to someone you've only known for a few weeks.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:07 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
No... That's not normal at all. Not sure why it would do that, I just now tried it and it worked for me. How many times have you tried to apply it?

In any case, you can just manually copy the files if that doesn't work. Go to the AGTPStory folder you downloaded, and copy all the files there (except for mod.txt), and paste them into your Cave Story+ directory\data\AGTPStory\mod. This should be all you need to do since it would have properly updated mods.txt in the data folder and generated the required mod.txt file in the AGTPStory folder if it made it 95% of the way.

I was gonna use the Aeon Genesis translation, but after reading about the differences I actually decided to skip the mod after all. There isn't much about the official re-translation I find weird or sound wrong. I know I will hang for saying that, but I have no relation to the Aeon Genesis translation since CS-eShop/CS+ was the first version I played. While the freeware is neat, I will never get used to the lower framerate (or is the freeware simply slower)?

Honestly I've never really seen a problem with the ending. I always felt it nicely tied everything up.

I actually had no problems with any of the endings either. By going for the normal "good" ending, I kind of took away that the surviving Mimiga have the chance to live in peace (the best ending explains that evil will always return as long as Ballos lives, but if you defeat him, the island survives, hence every survivor goes back to their normal lives). Why Curly and Quote agrees to live with Balrog isn't really that strange. In several battles with Balrog a certain respect could have grown, and finally Balrog agrees to help - both with the big rock and finally to save the lives of both the robots after Ballos. Also, he WAS possessed, so he's not really a bad-bad guy.

Oh well. Gonna start a new playthrough now. I missed a certain pair of undergarments on my first run! ;-)

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:50 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Congratulations, friend. It feels amazing to have finally finished this amazing journey. What do you think was your favourite part of the game?

And...
Suddenly abandoning the people you'd spent the whole game helping out .... was unsatisfying.
Honestly, yeah, I agree with this. This was probably my biggest gripe about the third ending, and what I liked best about the fourth ending, maybe even more than the extra lives you get to save. Being able to be with everyone in the end was very satisfying.

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:21 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Congratulations, friend. It feels amazing to have finally finished this amazing journey. What do you think was your favourite part of the game?

I think Labyrinth and Plantation are my favs.

On a side note; CS+ is definitely my preferred version, followed by 3DS eShop. CS3D is pretty much unplayable. Urgh. :-(

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:18 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I think Labyrinth and Plantation are my favs.
I have a soft spot for the Outer Wall. The overall atmosphere in that scene is what made me realize "Wow. This is a great game."

Mar 10, 2017 at 9:53 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Congratulations man! Welcome to the club!

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:05 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Hooray for you man!
Also, I gotta agree, the 3rd ending did feel a little rushed. Sure, most of the people who Quote would've escaped with anyway probably made it out alive, but they're just kind of dropped from the narrative once you enter the Sanctuary. It would've been a little cool if Quote, Curly, and Balrog met up with the Sakamotos in flight instead of just going their own way, just for that last bit of closure.