CS (running on Linux) questions.

Feb 2, 2016 at 8:56 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi! :)

1) How can I apply the update?

The original file is a script (which runs the doukutsu.bin file), while the update is an executable (doukutsu_64bits).

1a) Sidequestion: The Linux port, is a bit behind. Any thoughts for updating it? :)

2) DoConfig.exe runs with Wine. Any way to alter the settings, without installing Wine?

TIA! :cool:
G.

PS. I'm running Mint 17.3 x64 KDE.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:30 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
1. My understanding was that you add the 1.2 update files into the same directory as the original files and run doukutsu_64bits.
1a. The person who made it doesn't frequent these forums.
2. You probably missed the link on the downloads page that reads "DoConfigure for Linux by Sean Baker". You will need to put it in the same directory as the rest of the files.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:59 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
1. My understanding was that you add the 1.2 update files into the same directory as the original files and run doukutsu_64bits.
That's what I thought, but running it (already marked as executable) returns: "bash: ./doukutsu_64bits: No such file or directory"
(Maybe a missing library)?
1a. The person who made it doesn't frequent these forums.
Also a nice feature would be a single download (instead of the base + update).
2. You probably missed the link on the downloads page that reads "DoConfigure for Linux by Sean Baker". You will need to put it in the same directory as the rest of the files.
Ooops! I missed it! :o
Indeed the DoConfigure for Linux, works fine!

THANKS andwhyisit!!! ;)
G.

Trying to figure out, the missing dependencies, I gave: "readelf -d doukutsu_64bits | grep NEEDED" which returned:
0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libSDL-1.2.so.0]
0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libstdc++.so.6]
0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libm.so.6]
0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libgcc_s.so.1]
0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED) Shared library: [libc.so.6]

Searching at packages.ubuntu.com I found the required packages (libSDL1.2, libc6, libgcc1 and libsdtc++), which are already installed here. :confused:
Maybe some environment variables, needs tweaking?

I think a static binary, would be a better option.

Oh well...
I think I'll reboot at Windows and play CS there.
THANKS AGAIN!!! ;)
G.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 3, 2016 at 2:11 AM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Any way to alter the settings, without installing Wine?

Any reason in particular you don't want to install Wine? CS works great through Wine for me.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Nope! Couldn't installed here.
Setup crashed Wine (v.1.7.55) at the end of installation (which couldn't complete).
Currently I'm able to run v.1.0.1 (and DoConfigure).

Anyway! I already installed the latest Deluxe Package at Win 10 x64. :)
G.

Feb 3, 2016 at 12:57 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That's what I thought, but running it (already marked as executable) returns: "bash: ./doukutsu_64bits: No such file or directory"
(Maybe a missing library)?
That error pretty much means that doukutsu_64bits isn't where you think it is or doesn't exist. Use "dir" moar. When you unzip these files the original 1.01 files and the 1.2 upgrade extract to their own separate containing directories. They need to be in the SAME directory.

Your CS directory should look like this:
data <DIR>
doc <DIR>
Config.dat
DoConfig.exe
doukutsu
doukutsu.bin
doukutsu_32bits
doukutsu_64bits
libSDL-1.2.so.0

Also a nice feature would be a single download (instead of the base + update).
I need to know if doukutsu and doukutsu.bin can be safely removed from the package. Find that out and I happily put a combined download up on the site. I don't want to have to answer numerous questions in the future about which executable to run.

Nope! Couldn't installed here.
Setup crashed Wine (v.1.7.55) at the end of installation (which couldn't complete).
Currently I'm able to run v.1.0.1 (and DoConfigure).

Anyway! I already installed the latest Deluxe Package at Win 10 x64. :)
G.
Don't use the deluxe package with wine. That's a terrible idea. Use this instead:
http://www.cavestory.org/downloads/cavestoryen.zip

The Cave Story Deluxe Package is a combined package of Cave Story related stuff (including Cave Story) with a fancy installer. It is not some special Deluxe version of Cave Story. Every single component of the Deluxe Package can be individually downloaded installer-free from the downloads page under the "Deluxe Package Contents" header (which is directly under the link for the Deluxe Package).

Last edited: