why did Quote forget his name but Curly didn't?

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:43 PM
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Probably someone has asked this question before but I was thinking about it just now and got to this question.

after all, they participated in the same battle and both were badly damaged in the process but why doesn't Quote remember anything but Curly has some memories from her past?

I was very confused when I played Cave Story for the first time and so far I haven't been able to think of any concrete answers, what do you think?

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:05 AM
"Huzzah!"
given curly was in the sand zone long enough at least to raise the colons from when they were newborns, i assume the implication is that she was less damaged in the fight - presumably somehow winding up in sand zone after the fight with miakid and waking up there with no memory (after she may or may not have killed the colons' mother lol), whereas quote ended up in first cave and didn't wake up till the beginning of the game.

(tbh we're never told how exactly quote and curly got from the balcony to their respective locations, though i like the headcanon that either miakid (or misery on his orders) teleported them away as a last-ditch effort before dying from his wounds)

Dec 3, 2021 at 12:36 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, my assumption has always been that Curly wasn't as badly damaged as Quote by Miakid and whoever else they faced before being put out of commission for a while. Between Curly remembering her name, as well as waking up well before Quote did, that's most likely the case.

Many of us have likely thought of our own imaginary scenarios of how it all could have played out. About this time 10 years ago, I was forming a fanfiction in my head where Quote and Curly fought Miakid together on the balcony, wounded him, but then Curly got damaged, and Quote picked her up and ran away. And then Quote took her back to what was left of Mimiga village, and some Mimigas took Curly to the Sand Zone where she'd be safe, whereas Quote split off and led Miakid into the first cave where he made his last stand against Miakid, where Quote ultimately lost, but wore down Miakid even further such that he could be defeated by Arthur.