What would be the world like in 50 years?

Oct 6, 2011 at 12:36 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Even though this sounds remote or futuristic, but we would still live then. Wonder what it'd look like....I think there'd be holographic tvs and video games (with interaction with the image), computers operated by thought, maybe thought tranfer via machines, average lifespan 100 years... What do you think?

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:28 PM
inside is yello
"..."
You just have to remember, back in the 50s and 60s, we were supposed to have flying cars and stuff like that by now.

Oct 6, 2011 at 3:54 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
We do - they're called airplanes.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Wedge of Cheese said:
We do - they're called airplanes.

They had those in the 50's.

Also I don't get what's the deal with people thinking holographs are the future, that idea seems really old.

Oct 6, 2011 at 4:50 PM
Been here way too long...
Holograms aren't the way of the future. Pretty much everything we know about cinematography would be thrown out the window if directors had to deal with 3D space, so while it would be cool at first, it wouldn't catch on. Holograms could have lots of other applications, though.
As for video games, they will probably be completely integrated into everything. Right now they're on your phone, computer, handheld, console, etc. In 50 years, they'll probably just be in your skin and you can play them in your brain with a controller that fits in your pocket. Why not control them with your brain? Because you are not a Jedi and your brain isn't reliable enough to play an imaginary game of Pong, much less Final Fantasy VL.
Console games will still exist, but you'll have much more than a controller to play them with. The industry's not going back to regular chunks of plastic with buttons on them after this whole "motion control" thing. Something else will come along, and something after that.

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM
Member Title
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The way I see it, we're in a position to jump on any possible scientific or technological breakthroughs from a mile away. Not all breakthroughs, just some. I heard recently Einstein's E=mc2 was going back under consideration, due to some new advance in science. Don't quote me on that.

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
Yeah, that did happen. All the physics nerds (Lace, WoC, GIR, Noxy, entire forum) in the IRC were crapping their pants over it.

Oct 6, 2011 at 9:26 PM
graters gonna grate
What? I hadn't even heard of that >_>. Unless you're referring to the whole neutrino thing in which case:

Lace said:
Can spaceships shoot lasers?
And that has nothing to do with the improbability of space travel. They also need to have an independent experiment confirm it before relativity goes out the window. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and one experiment just isn't enough for that (eg cold fusion). Furthermore, there have been a bunch of previous experiments that claimed to find stuff travelling faster than light. There was experimental error in all of them. I'm going to need to see more proof before I believe this one.

QFT

If you're referring to the fact that relativity (of which E=mc^2 is part) is incompatible with quantum physics, then that's nothing new - we've known that for almost a century.

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:17 PM
A more interesting thread might be "five years in the future" or "ten years in the future". People would make less overblown guesses, put there is still a huge possibility of improvement/innovation.
Yeah, no damned clue what 50 years in the future holds. 50 years ago, the integrated circuit was just invented, and personal computers hadn't even been dreamed of yet.

And what cheese said to desu about physics.

Oct 6, 2011 at 11:26 PM
Pirate Member
Well, for better or worse, the US will probably stop being a superpower. It's already breaking international laws (like when that USA stealth plane shot down a dude in Yemen, without the permission of Yemen) and history has shown time after time that it's only a matter of time before a superpower can no longer do retarded bullshit (like the soviets). But enough of that.

We'll start riding bikes more too (bikes don't need oil). Also something will replace the internet. Probably a healthy life style, or a job. Or a lack of one.

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:42 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
WoodenRat said:
Also something will replace the internet.

Of all the things I doubt, I doubt that the most. Internet will probably just get bigger.

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:54 AM
Pirate Member
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
Of all the things I doubt, I doubt that the most. Internet will probably just get bigger.

I was joking, making fun of the fact that today's youth spend too much time online.

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:03 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
WoodenRat said:
I was joking, making fun of the fact that today's youth spend too much time online.

However you're not the first person I've heard say that (about the internet).
Some people are waiting for the next big thing that will eclipse the internet, just like how internet is slowly killing TV right now (although TV doesn't seem dead yet).

@Desu: You just enjoy the imagery of us all crapping our pants.

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:04 AM
daughter of chivalry
Oh yeah. Another thing that's sorta dying is books. It's all being taken over by kindles and nooks and whatever the fuck.

It's a shame cause I love books, they have been around for ages. I wonder if they will become obsolete...

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:06 AM
Not while I live.

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:17 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
In the future, I think that people will attach glowing neon lights (or glow sticks, whatever works) to their body, making a "Neon Period" in fashion. School, supermarkets, and other public areas will leave the lights off to go with the new fashion.

Also, while on the topic of books:
I do not think that books will not become obsolete as long as any of us live. There is just a polarizing amount of people in each category (books and ebooks) so that either of them can stay well and alive.

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:22 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
ShinyElectricBlueTiger said:
In the future, I think that people will attach glowing neon lights (or glow sticks, whatever works) to their body, making a "Neon Period" in fashion.

diph.php

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:36 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
WD said:
Oh yeah. Another thing that's sorta dying is books. It's all being taken over by kindles and nooks and whatever the fuck.

It's a shame cause I love books, they have been around for ages. I wonder if they will become obsolete...

I wouldn't call that the death of books so much as books going into the future. What's the harm in there being less physical copies of the media?

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:40 AM
daughter of chivalry
You know what I mean >_>
I guess there is just some intrinsic value of holding a book, smelling it, flipping pages, etc. But now it shall be lost by clicking and plastic and poop