What if: Cyborg

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:42 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Situation: You have been abducted by a top secret government agency that presents you with two options.

Option one is that you go with them and become the first civillian test subject for a revolutionary new technology - bio-mechanical fusion and augmentation. You have been selected because of your outstanding representation of the average human being, and they wish to conduct physical and psychological testing on you in order to determine how the human mind and body copes with such drastic alteration.

You must spend the rest of your life living in an isolated research facility where you will be tested on a regular basis. Your family will be informed that you have been killed in an accident, and you will never see them again, or have any contact with the outside world. However, at the research facility, you can have whatever your heart desires, and do whatever you want when you are not conducting tests (Although there is no outgoing internet communication, they've got things set up so that if you wanted to browse pages, or watch satellite TV or something, they can make it work. They're the government.) Although you will not be allowed to return to the outside world, there will be plenty of people at the facility to keep you occupied and there is even the possibility of forming relationships of a more intimate nature.

You will be stronger, fitter, and faster than you could possibly imagine. You will be able to interact with digital media by thought alone. Exercise can be managed by electrical muscle stimulation (feels a bit odd they say, but not painful), or if you prefer you can do it the old fashioned way. Your life expectancy is not expected to increase substantially, because the enhancements cannot stop the aging process of the brain. Finally, they note that there is a substantial likelihood that the process will kill you outright.

Option two is very simple: You will wake up in a hospital with no recollection of this event. Your records will show that you were driving your car late at night and had a collision, resulting in a mild coma. You will never be bothered again, and they will find another subject for their experiments.

My question to you is: Would you choose to become a Cyborg? Keep in mind you wouldn't be the first, since the preliminary testing was done on highly fit individuals from within the organization. Oh, and if you're thinking about busting out: They have your switch.

A second question you might wish to answer is that, if this wasn't proprietary technology but just recently released to public, would you sign up, even if it meant paying your life's savings?

Jan 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM
This Troper
"Man, if only I had an apple..."
1) Fuck you. Why get superpowers if I can't use them?
2) Fuck yeah! It's always been my dream to become a cyborg. A free cyborg, I might add.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:14 PM
Vanished.
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
1) Accept the offer.
2) Recode my new self to run linux.
3) Fuck them over.

Jan 11, 2010 at 11:42 PM
Been here way too long...
Or you could have alien DNA injected into you, escape from the testing lab, blow shit up and wait for a sequel.
District 9 references aside, this is basically "How much do you like your current life?" So I say "No" to the government, because being stuck in a lab all my life (and I'm going to assume the cybernetic enhancements will lengthen my life) would be dull, boring and uneventful. As T-Jack said, why would I want super powers if I can't save the world from destruction, or at least climb buildings?
Oh, and about that "intimate relationship" thing: they are scientists, you are their subject. I'm sure that wouldn't be awkward at all.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:02 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Captain Fabulous said:
they are scientists, you are their subject. I'm sure that wouldn't be awkward at all.

They are also human as well, and isolated along with you. Anything can happen; we're talking many years here. Perhaps one of them would fall for you, and the two of you would concoct an elaborate escape plan.

I dunno if you guys are trying hard enough; you're a cyborg. Some of the implants are neural as well (stuff that allows you to control computers and whatnot) so I'm sure there's got to be things that you could do that they haven't thought of. Their previous subjects were all from within the military, and most likely as loyal as bloodhounds. You, on the other hand, are unknown: They thought you would be safe, boring, unambitious and apathetic. But what if?

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:25 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I am already better than God, therefore, I am manipulating everything behind the scenes for my own amusement.

Jan 12, 2010 at 12:29 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
So figure out a way to overcome that obstacle? Perhaps I was a little too heavy on the constraints, whatever. Here's a scenario:

1) earn the trust of your captors
2) learn the secret of the killswitch mechanism: certainly one of them is vain enough to let something slip in casual conversation. Let's suppose it operates on radio waves, you could develop a transmitter to jam the frequency preventing them from sending the proper signal; as long as you're wearing it, you'd be safe. They can't read your mind..
3) You'd have to build it quickly, and then disable the facility's main, backup and emergency power supplies however you choose. Then, if possible destroy the whole place before leaving: this would be simple enough if they used a nuclear reactor for power, just hack the control mechanisms with your mind and you've killed two bird and a number of scientists with one stone.
4) run as fast as your robo-legs will carry you to safety.

Now you can be a crime fighting vigilante, or perhaps a dangerous fugitive. The best plan would be to find a way to escape the country, since this sort of thing would be so hush-hush they'd act like it never happened to the outside world. Obviously you can't just go to the airport, but there are other ways.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:44 AM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Personal robot pawn has defected?

Just as planned.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:14 AM
This Troper
What, so this thread has changed from a "What-If" thread to "Write me a story" thread? Real classy.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:36 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
>.> How about if we change gears and slightly disregard the OP while still keeping in line with the title. I'll try to be a better question asker, I'm still learning here.

What if you could have any ONE cybernetic enhancement - What would it be? Bionic arms, legs, eyes, other? Myself, I'd probably choose legs for the ability to sprint without tire and leap great distances.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:59 PM
This Troper
Noxid said:
>.> How about if we change gears and slightly disregard the OP while still keeping in line with the title. I'll try to be a better question asker, I'm still learning here.
Rule of thumb: When proposing a what-if scenario, don't expect the others to break the rules with their answer. Your word is word of God.

Noxid said:
What if you could have any ONE cybernetic enhancement - What would it be? Bionic arms, legs, eyes, other? Myself, I'd probably choose legs for the ability to sprint without tire and leap great distances.
Well, legs are good, but you can't run too much if your lungs can't handle it. So, yeah, if it's possible, bionic lungs. I often find myself out of breath, so I could really use them. Also, if they would enable me to breathe under water, I'd be glad.
Or I would choose a bionic brain. I could really use that enhanced memory and processing power, but there's the risk that someone would implant an off switch or something even worse in it. Still, a supercomputer in my head... Anyway, it would be one of these two.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM
Bionic ass.
The power to decide when and with how much force to defecate would be terrifying to my enemies. I could have a crap-howitzer in my pants and they wouldn't know it until it's too late.
Wait, bionic legs sound good, more for jumping than running. Combustion propulsion on the feet would a great addition to super-legs.

Jan 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM
ability to access the internet in mah head.
unlimited access to google/wikipedia, and free poroz whenever.
score.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:55 PM
/end
Now, seriously, why is this in The SPOT?