• Sorry guys, I fucked up in the stupidest way possible. Any avatars, attachments or media uploaded in the past month may be broken. The bulk of those are attachments.

    Affected posts are by Brite / Dr. Minty Fresh / HeCooksPattiesAndSellsThe / Catalystl / ilikebreadtoomuch / Draco / minecraftstorymodefan / Extra Life / darkruler9229

    Affected posts are in threads Quick Modding/Hacking Answers Thread / CS ~ Encore / game opens in 1080, occupies only the top left corner / Friday Night Funkin' / Bluebot Requisition - DEMO / Show us your desktop / Cave Story Season 2 / gacha cave story pics / Cave Story with XBRZ filter / Project Ampersand

    -Andwhy

UnnamedStory - The Mod of The Game: The Game.

Jan 26, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: Jan 4, 2013
Location:
Posts: 52
Oh, hi.
I'm making a mod of Cave Story, but I'm kinda out of inspiration for stuff. I'm kinda cornered: I don't even know where to start with it.
Well, I'm planning for it to be like a clash of Mother series and Cave Story, plus a bunch of other games.

Here's the plans for this beast:
  • Currency system. Much like in the leaked alpha versions of cave story (bottom-left corner shows your funds), I want it to have some kind of currency, although I'm a total beginner at ASM.
  • You got a team. In the game you would meet friends that would help on your quest: They have different weapons, abilities and stuff that you alone can't do. They follow you as an AI unless you select them (Replace weapon switching with character switching or use two more buttons (if possible)?)
  • The events take place on the surface and the storyline has no relation to Cave Story. Totes originul and not fanfic.
  • Starts out light-hearted and bright, then becomes darker over the course of the game. Kinda like Mother 2 (also known as Earthbound) or Mother 3, although in M3 it got dark FAST.
  • Villians you can actually relate to. You know, he's not a total jerk ass face that has no sympathy and deserves none, but he's more like Giegue/Pork(or Poke)y/Dr.Eggman
  • Fair difficulty. Just like in Cave Story I guess.
  • Polished dialogue and storyline that actually makes sense. Will take time to perfect, but It will be worth it.
  • Rewarding exploration: You would want to explore the world not just because of items, but because of all the fun stuff you can do.
  • Villages, Cities, Modern setting: Like Earthbound! You can use buses, woot.
  • Shop system: Buy somethin', will ya?
So, yeah. Those are the plans. Too bad I haven't actually worked on it that much yet.
But hey, I made a character sprite (almost)! Check this out:
View attachment MyChar.bmp

So, thoughts? suggestions? Ways to inspire myself? Tips and tricks? Please give me everything, even negative replies will do.
 
Jan 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Aug 28, 2009
Location: The Purple Zone
Posts: 6000
Crystalwarrior said:
Please give me everything, even negative replies will do.
your a fat but and i dont like how u smell
 
Jan 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Senior Member
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
Join Date: Jan 21, 2013
Location: :
Posts: 133
Sounds cool.
 
Jan 26, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: Jan 4, 2013
Location:
Posts: 52
your a fat but and i dont like how u smell
lol ok.
now give me all your ASM knowlege. nao.
I'm holding a gun at point-blank range y'know.
 
Jan 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Aug 28, 2009
Location: The Purple Zone
Posts: 6000
trust me, you don't want it.
 
Jan 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Oct 18, 2011
Location:
Posts: 2335
Oh hey you don't technically need ASM to have a currency system. I can't Get the thread right now, but it essentially used a binary system with, rather than ones and zeroes, on and off flags. It doesn't have A GUI feature though.
 
Jan 26, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Mrs. Policewoman
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Join Date: Oct 24, 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 326
Age: 23

I that there is a <VAR tsc command that you could use, and have an item that the value as your current cash ect.
 
Jan 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Senior Member
"Master using it, and you can have this!"
Join Date: Oct 18, 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 82
Age: 23
Crystalwarrior said:
  • Currency system. Much like in the leaked alpha versions of cave story (bottom-left corner shows your funds), I want it to have some kind of currency, although I'm a total beginner at ASM.[/*]
 
Jan 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: Jan 4, 2013
Location:
Posts: 52

Dude. That helps A LOT.

Now to figure out how do I add the <BUY command...

Is there any way to add new stuff without replacing anything else in ASM?



EDIT: How do I display the ammount of money again?
 
Jan 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: Jan 2, 2013
Location: Wright and Co. Law Offices
Posts: 179
Age: 121
Crystalwarrior said:
So, thoughts? suggestions? Ways to inspire myself? Tips and tricks?
Yeah, just a couple of minutes ago I thought about pie! My suggestion for you is to buy me some pie, it's really good! (You should add a healing system, like pie heals 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 chunks of health!!!!)
 
Jan 27, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
Join Date: Aug 9, 2010
Location: Greener Pastures
Posts: 1190
Age: 27
ChimeApple said:
Yeah, just a couple of minutes ago I thought about pie! My suggestion for you is to buy me some pie, it's really good! (You should add a healing system, like pie heals 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 chunks of health!!!!)
Jokes!
 
Jan 27, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Jan 13, 2011
Location: Lasagna
Posts: 4489

Ontopic

The only way to not replace other commands is to use empty space. For large commands you need a lot of space, which isn't readily available. So, the only option is to optimize.

Of course, a <BUY command would most likely just subtract from your money, so it should fit nicely at the end of the code. You'd need another command to check how much money you have, though.
 
Jan 28, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Join Date: Jan 28, 2010
Location: Internet
Posts: 1369
Age: 31

Hey guys. I wrote that code for the Cave Story money system.



The <BUY command (the working code for it) is on the second page of the thread.
Code:
offset 424EAF
 
; * Usage: <BUYXXXX:YYYY
; * XXXX = Amount of money required for purchase.
; * YYYY = Event to jump to if player does not have enough money.
 
MOV EAX, DWORD PTR DS:[4A5AD8]
ADD EAX, DWORD PTR DS:[4A5AE0]
CMP DWORD PTR DS:[EAX], 5955423C    ; Compare *(EAX) with the text string "<BUY".
JNE 424F33                          ; Failed to match.
MOV ECX, DWORD PTR DS:[4A5AE0]
ADD ECX, 4
PUSH ECX
CALL 421900                         ; Get argument 0 (purchase price).
ADD ESP, 4
CMP EAX, DWORD PTR DS:[49E181]
JLE 424EFC                          ; We have enough money.
MOV EDX, DWORD PTR DS:[4A5AE0]      ; Not enough money.
ADD EDX, 9
PUSH EDX
CALL 421900                         ; Get argument 1 (event to jump to).
ADD ESP, 4
PUSH EAX
CALL 421AF0                         ; Go to event.
ADD ESP, 4
JMP 4252A7
SUB DWORD PTR DS:[49E181], EAX      ; Take money.
ADD DWORD PTR DS:[4A5AE0], D        ; Continue script.
JMP 4252A7
I'm sorry guys, but I have to say this:



learn 2 read the 2nd page



Beautiful version (with good syntax highlighting, for x86 ASM): http://pastebin.com/xXstqJUh

Anyway, I am back to being inactive.
 
Jan 29, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: Jan 4, 2013
Location:
Posts: 52
Hey, thanks for helping!
Although I was talking about exactly the same code you pasted here, I'm still grateful that you care about me :toroko:

Also, I've had some golly good ideas while in school.
First idea is for an obstacle, or invincible enemy: Falling ice spike.
Works almost the same as Press, although with a few differences: it does not insta-kill, but takes like 15 HP, and it can't be killed.
I would like to add that new NPC as a new one instead of replacing Press, if possible :V

Anyway, the second idea is PSI powers (aka Magik *snort* *snort*)
I'm thinking of replacing the EXP gauge with PSI gauge. It would look similiar to HP bar, but probably of blue color.
There will be a number to the... uh... somewhere that will show exact ammount of your PSI.
To use psi, I would bind a new key to use it, like C (if possible that is).
To change PSI, you would probably have to go to inventory screen and do your stuff there, or if you insist, I could make two new "change psi" buttons that will work similiar to weapon changing.

Although the PSI idea is kinda complicated and I'm not sure that I, being an average ASM-er, will be able to complete it yet. I will study hard.
or ask someone else to script program it for me hurr dur

Oh, and another thing, this time related to items: There will be a lot of different kinds of food items. Pies, pizzas, hamburgers you find in trash cans, cakes and PSI caramels.
Yup. Just like good ol' earthbound, although it would be cool if the food's effectiveness would depend on the character you want to heal's tastes.
Oh, and didn't I mention that I want every character to have their own PSI/Health?

...holy shit that's a lot of stuff to do :awesomeface:


Okay, sorry for double toast, the previous post was getting way too long.
Anyway, I remember seeing the ORGV2 Drums Track hack, but I couldn't find Carrotfold's HackInstaller.
Noxid, if you can reply, can you possibly make a new version of said hack if it's unreliable/unstable, or provide me with the link to Carrot's HackInstaller pls?
I would love to abuse that neko sound in ORGMaker. :D
 
Jan 29, 2013 at 2:37 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Aug 28, 2009
Location: The Purple Zone
Posts: 6000
well the hack installer is here (temp url), although you can just open the hex files and paste them yourself if you know how to use ollydbg. And if you don't then, well, I'd hold off on some of those hack ideas. although I'd also just recommend you avoid making hacks if it's not necessary because it will kill your soul.
 
Jan 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Junior Member
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Join Date: Dec 6, 2012
Location: Edolas
Posts: 40
Hmmmm. You seem off to a good start. I like the Mother(Earthbound) series too.... Keep Going!
 
Jan 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: Jan 4, 2013
Location:
Posts: 52
Alright, so I need one question answered from you, guys.
Should the game use Cave Story art style, use Earthbound art style or should I think of my own?
 
Jan 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: May 6, 2009
Location: somewhere new
Posts: 2138
Age: 26
Crystalwarrior said:
Hey, thanks for helping!
Although I was talking about exactly the same code you pasted here, I'm still grateful that you care about me :toroko:

Also, I've had some golly good ideas while in school.
First idea is for an obstacle, or invincible enemy: Falling ice spike.
Works almost the same as Press, although with a few differences: it does not insta-kill, but takes like 15 HP, and it can't be killed.
I would like to add that new NPC as a new one instead of replacing Press, if possible :V

Anyway, the second idea is PSI powers (aka Magik *snort* *snort*)
I'm thinking of replacing the EXP gauge with PSI gauge. It would look similiar to HP bar, but probably of blue color.
There will be a number to the... uh... somewhere that will show exact ammount of your PSI.
To use psi, I would bind a new key to use it, like C (if possible that is).
To change PSI, you would probably have to go to inventory screen and do your stuff there, or if you insist, I could make two new "change psi" buttons that will work similiar to weapon changing.

Although the PSI idea is kinda complicated and I'm not sure that I, being an average ASM-er, will be able to complete it yet. I will study hard.
or ask someone else to script program it for me hurr dur

Oh, and another thing, this time related to items: There will be a lot of different kinds of food items. Pies, pizzas, hamburgers you find in trash cans, cakes and PSI caramels.
Yup. Just like good ol' earthbound, although it would be cool if the food's effectiveness would depend on the character you want to heal's tastes.
Oh, and didn't I mention that I want every character to have their own PSI/Health?

...holy shit that's a lot of stuff to do :awesomeface:


Okay, sorry for double toast, the previous post was getting way too long.
Anyway, I remember seeing the ORGV2 Drums Track hack, but I couldn't find Carrotfold's HackInstaller.
Noxid, if you can reply, can you possibly make a new version of said hack if it's unreliable/unstable, or provide me with the link to Carrot's HackInstaller pls?
I would love to abuse that neko sound in ORGMaker. :D

1. Can't you just recolor the falling spikes from "Egg Corridor?"

2. You wouldn't be able to add the use of more buttons and abilities without some more than light assembly hacking, I hope you're prepared to do that. The recoloring of bars and stuff will be a piece of cake, but beyond that you're outta luck in terms of new abilities and keys unless you can manage it on your own. You could always just edit weapons if you aren't ready for ASM hacking, which would also save you the issue of creating a new key.

3. There are a limited number of items in the game, and a limit amount of uses for them. Making more than one health item might be feasible, but beyond that you're in for more medium-level ASM hacking.
If you want AI bots to follow you and hang out with you, they will be invincible and there will be only one of them at a time, and they will all look the same because the Curly Brace AI is more confusing than you think. Again, more in-depth ASM hacking here.

Also, as a general rule, nobody is going to help you with your mod except yourself, since most people who are willing and able to make a mod already have one of their own to work on. You lucked out with Carrotlord, since he was already making a money system, but I don't foresee you accruing many more free assembly hacks in the future.


PS A Cave Story art style or similar works best here, since your sprite resolutions are so limited.
 
Feb 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: Jan 4, 2013
Location:
Posts: 52
Alright, thanks. So I guess for now I can limit myself with cave editor and a bunch of easy ASM hacks :V


Noxid said:
well the hack installer is here (temp url), although you can just open the hex files and paste them yourself if you know how to use ollydbg. And if you don't then, well, I'd hold off on some of those hack ideas. although I'd also just recommend you avoid making hacks if it's not necessary because it will kill your soul.
Uh, that link goes to the hacks themselves, but no installer. :V
 
Feb 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Join Date: Aug 28, 2009
Location: The Purple Zone
Posts: 6000
I just clicked it
it contains autohacker2_console.py and autohacker2_gui.pyw(?) and a user guide :droll:
 
Top