the Cave Story beta Story can it be used as a prequel?

Apr 25, 2021 at 10:57 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I think the beta story can be used as a prequel or this is actually a prequel and the final game was planned as a sequel all this time! I would like to know what you think about it and how these two stories (the beta and the final) would be connected

Attachments

• sc010204Camp1.png
    sc010204Camp1.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 2:19 AM
"Huzzah!"
I think the beta story can be used as a prequel or this is actually a prequel and the final game was planned as a sequel all this time! I would like to know what you think about it and how these two stories (the beta and the final) would be connected
I don't think they could be connected, But I did see this one theory a while back where Cave Story Beta took place in a universe that existed before Cave Story, but was destroyed somehow.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:13 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Yeah, I've never really viewed CS Beta as potential sequel/prequel material, but a little bit of imagination never hurt anyone. I think of it as more of an alternate universe.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:13 AM
Stoned Member
"All your forum are belong to us!"
The beta story is lackluster, decent bits of it evolved and became story plots in the final game.
The only parts of the game that were cut that had meaningful additions to the actual progression itself were the Frog Kingdom and Wind Fortress, though Wind Foretress would have to be a side area to be implemented at all naturally, Frog Kingdom could easily slot in as a way to extend the core / living waterway segment of the game.

Apr 26, 2021 at 3:49 AM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Hmm, thinking of it now, because the Frog Kingdom still carried over from the beta during the overhaul before it was ultimately scrapped, what if the second Demon Crown bearer is a reference to the Frog Kingdom, maybe even someone from there? At least that aspect can serve as potential material for a fanmade prequel. (Shame that wouldn't happen during the war, tho)

May 8, 2021 at 7:52 PM
"Huzzah!"
After thinking about it, I think having Cave Story Beta as a prequel could actually work.
Puu Black could be Puu from the beta as a ghost, and Curly Brace (Beta Quote) could be a robot that the professor created before the war on the surface, and before Quote, and Curly Brace in the final game were created.
Hmmm..... I could make this part of the lore in Project Ampersand.

May 14, 2021 at 12:42 PM
"Huzzah!"
Puu Black exists as a separate boss in the beta too.
That version of Puu Black has no eyes, but in the final game, he does. This could imply that the version of Puu Black in the beta isn't Puu if we're saying Cave Story Beta is a prequel to Cave Story.
1620992444492.png