Secret food

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Pronouns: he/him
Food knows no borders. Some yummy specialties still wait for international discovery (hence the poetic threadname lol). Post if you know about a yummi specialty which is not yet known globally. I would like to eat up all your suggestions too.

I'll post some yummi Hungarian and Serbian specialities which I am sure you haven't heard of. Try them if you want :)

1) Serbian: Burek - it's like a cross between lasagna & pizza. It is usually made with curd, minced meat, spinach (original) or nowadays pizza toppings.

2) Hungarian: Paprikás - a classic

3) Hungarian: Túró Rudi - a chocolate bar with curd cheese. It's worth a try if it is imported in your country. I know it is available in Austria, Estonia,
China, Poland, Russia and Japan with slight differences. It MUST be kept refrigerated since curd cheese may spoil.

p161741-0-11723767.jpg

Dec 19, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The third is rather interesting.

We have one thing here that always makes foreigners go "wtf":

3150.jpg

It's called "Mett" and it's usually served on bread rolls with onion. It's raw minced pork with salt and onions.
People love it here and it's traditional food that is only common in germany afaik (most common in northern and middle germany). O:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:00 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Fergburger in Queenstown,NZ. The taste is amazing and their smallest burger is big enough to put most burgers to shame. Expect there to be around 50 people or more queued up for it any time of the day.

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:46 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
I guess I'll play the Poutine card
p161744-0-poutine.jpg
Salty french fries, Gravy, Cheese Curds.
Honestly I have no idea why americans haven't taken this one to town, there is literally no aspect of it that doesn't threaten to clog your heart.

Dec 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
p161745-0-saffrondesiyorkbignaan.jpg

Naan, Curry. Mount Everest Restaurant for Pakistani food? Best place ever.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:08 AM
Been here way too long...
Carrotlord said:
Naan, Curry.
Those foods haven't exactly slipped under the radar. They're about as secret as chow mein or ravioli. If you want to tell us about secret restaurants, well, that doesn't do a lot of good. We can't visit them.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM
Been here way too long...
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
Well, it's not really a secret food, but here in Saskatchewan there are no shortages of farms of any variety. This means that in the harvest season, we get tons of fresh food. And I mean really fresh, generally only a few day since harvest. Cooking from scratch with completely fresh ingredients makes food taste just so much better than otherwise.

Back