Org Disassembler...

Aug 23, 2006 at 9:20 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Aug 23, 2006 at 2:39 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
MIDI and ORG are two very different formats. Whereas MIDI is almost like a scripting language (closer to a tracker than to a script language, but the analogy stands :) ) ORG is a binary format where each byte represents the note, itsvolume, panning info, and such. More importantly, MIDI is a multi-channel format where each channel has a lot of freedom with its notes. ORG i another matter entirely (try putting two notes in the same channel one over the other in ORGMaker...)

It would be possible, but not as an automated process. In fact, to get anything good out of it, it would be necessary to check note by note and determine which notes can be dropped when an equal representation is impossible in ORG, and which should be kept. To boot, because the instruments are different, any automated conversion would result in a very different-sounding song.

Osmose (I believe) and I discussed it in another thread and he found some good stuff about the ORG format, but writing an automated converter is not very likely. And if it were, using a text file wouldn't be very useful - wether it's taken directly from the MIDI or from a file,

The hurdle isn't the format in which we can pick data out of, it's the fact MIDI is a lot more advanced than ORG. Converting from ORG to MIDI would be relatively easy but the other way around will never result in anything like the original.

A converter could work for extremely simple MIDIs though. :)

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:36 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
Converting from ORG to Midi is simple as hell, but the other way around it's impossible unless you make a damn smart decoder.

After Rune pointed me to some Midi documentation a while back, I did more research and found out a few things about the Midi format. Mainly, that notes do not really have duration.

For example, in OrgMaker, each note is a single object and has a set length to it. Note1 is 2 beats long, for example. Midi's work different. They work by running events and then waiting the specified time until the next event. In this format, a Midi file has two events for notes - one that turns the note on, and one that turns it off after it's played the allotted time. This is because the time between one event and the other is contained in the following step. Kinda like:

Event A: TimeSinceLastEvent: 0 sec Action:StartPlayChannel1
Event B: TimeSinceLastEvent: 10 sec Action:EndPlayChannel1

That would play Channel 1 for 10 seconds, although that's hardly close to how it's actually stored. This difference can lead to a lot of trouble.

Org to Midi is defenately possible. This is a summary of everything I found out about ORGs. It covers everything about ORG files and can be used if anyone wants to make a converter.