Need a little help

Dec 1, 2005 at 1:45 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I just saw one of thsoe speedruns of hell and wow..how'd they even get through let alone so fast?!

I can't even finish the level sadly, iv'e tried uncountable times :( is there something im doing wrong? I even downloaded a saved game with whimsy star and spur plus all the health capsules, but still I can only get to heavy press and by then I only have 2-3 HP.

Is there a trick to this or cheats that work? I couldn't figure out the hex editing and there was a cheat program on cave story uploads, but it wasn't translated and I couldn't get it working.

Dec 1, 2005 at 3:26 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Cheaters never win :(
Anyway, I don't know of any cheats or tricks. Persistence is all I can reccomend. Practice practice practice. You'll get it eventually if you keep at it. It took me weeks.

Dec 1, 2005 at 4:14 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm not very good at games, and my strategies aren't very good... I just try for minimum, for the sake of unlocking information and plot. I'm sure there are MUCH better ideas from better players...however, this is how -I- survive Hell.

The most important thing to do is to take it slow. Speedruns are deceptive, and watching them is a misleading way to learn the stage. The reason the players in those stages can fly past so quickly is because they know the stage like the back of their hand...which is something that comes from taking it slowly many, many, many times beforehand.

One hint I can give for early (when you're NOT going for speed)... is that if you find yourself losing a LOT of HP in the second area (falling blocks)... take the two hearts in the next room, then go BACK to the block room, then drop back down again.. the hearts will refill indefinitely this way, and early on when you're not going for a speed-time, you can use this method to build your health back up. Also, DON'T rush the blockroom... it's actually faster to move through that room slowly and not take as many hits than it is refilling 50-or-so HP on 2HP hearts.

Also, take room 3 slowly, and try to kill -everything- that can be. **And if you have a decent amount of health, don't take any of the hearts lying around. Wait until you're just about to reach Heavy Press... if, by then, you have little HP, go BACK through the stage and pick up the hearts that have been sitting around. That should give you decent HP, if not refilling you completely, before Heavy Press.** Who is best dealt with using level 3 missiles. He'll go down in seconds. Just make sure to jump over the Rollings.

As for Ballos...ehhh.... my strategies don't work for my friends, and theirs don't work for me. o_o

Oh, and make sure you have the Life Pot. The Life Pot is your GOD.

But enough of my generalizations. Here's a good rundown that I used quite a bit:
http://www.livejournal.com/community/doukutsu/7185.html#cutid1

**Of course, this is actually kind of stupid, but it works for me. Because I can go through area 3 without taking many hits if any at all, but as SOON as I get to that last room before Heavy Press, I somehow end up getting a facefull of spikes and Bute-butt, and lose a LOT of HP. It's inexplicably retarded.

Dec 1, 2005 at 5:24 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hmmmm

Wow, I did not know that block room trick, thanks! that should REALLY help, because thats where I lose most of my HP.

Also, I know cheaters don't win, but I wasn't going for challenge, just to see the final part of the plot :(

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:15 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
yay!

Annndddd BINGO!

The final ending for me :(

Thanks for the help, that one trick with the respawning hearts really helped alot, so i could save my life pot untill I got to heavy press. the rest was simple, ballos himself wasn't that tough.

Dec 2, 2005 at 4:30 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I'm more for plot than gameplay, too. XD I actually watched a 'speedrun with text', of the final stage, AND an avi of the ending sequence... which made me feel guilty, so I went to try and win myself.. but that didn't work! Then a friend gave me a hacked Hell that was RIDICULOUS (and ridiculously easy), so that made me EVEN MORE GUILTY and that was enough to push me into enough persistence to beat the stage legitimately. XD

I've beaten hell with the Machinegun, Snake, AND Spur... but Spur and Snake are the most useful, Snake probably the MOST useful for getting Deleets and Bute Archers through walls.

And, of course, the mighty quote...

"...Aren't you forgetting something?"

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:08 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I actually ended up finding it EASIER to try and go through faster (semi speed run) rather than slower. I think this is because there was so much more time lost from taking 15 minutes getting to Ballos only to die rather than taking 2-3 minutes many times trying to get to Ballos and dying along the way, and only taking 5 when I finally got there =) My first time was about 7 minutes I think.