More Forum Themes (Half-Joke/Half-Serious)

Jul 25, 2024 at 7:51 AM
Moo~
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: She/Her
So, our current layout themes, they're all pretty great. We got the three Cave Story themes, and we got the themes for MiraiGamer and GameFlaws, for history's sakes. What if we brought back three more from the MiraiGamer days tho?
c1xzqo.png

Not saying that all of them should be added back in, but it'd be cool for at least one of them to. I'd be surprised if there were anymore layout themes that was missed by the Wayback Machine.

1. The old MiraiGamer theme. There's actually one even older than it, but it was very much ARGGH MY EYES!, but with the MiraiGamer logo slapped onto it. Compared to the one we currently got tho, this one looks pretty cool as well.
vjb1k0.png

2. The Zelda3C theme. So there was going to be a romhack of Link to the past called Zelda 3 Challenge: Quest for Calatia, made by a fella named GameMakr24. And SkyeWelse offered for there be a forum on MiraiGamer dedicated to the romhack. It even had a layout theme and everything. While the romhack was never finished, it was still interesting that there was a dedication to the project here.
25kt5w.png

3. The BluePerl theme. I actually didn't know this theme existed until recently, but it was a disabled theme that somehow stuck around the vBulletin era. It got canned during the move to IPBoard due the fact that it was never used, but also it was kinda broken. Also there's the amount of blue in it which I mean, if some people here still use the GameFlaws theme, then I doubt this would've been averted by anyone joining in nowadays.
blueperl.gif

But yeah, not saying we aren't already spoiled with the 5 themes we already got, but one more would be nice, too.

Jul 28, 2024 at 1:49 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Pronouns: he/him
I need BluePerl

Aug 13, 2024 at 5:21 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
The theme inheritance in xenforo is good enough that I suppose I could add new themes, though I will regret saying that when I need to do a major version update and css changes need to happen, but eh, future me's problem.

Not saying that all of them should be added back in, but it'd be cool for at least one of them to. I'd be surprised if there were anymore layout themes that was missed by the Wayback Machine.
The theme dropdown in 2007 shows PenPen World, Zen Gaming, and Palcorner were themes.

The old MiraiGamer theme.
Do you have an Internet Archive link for this?

The Zelda3C theme.
I could do something with this, given it is basically slightly reskinned CS Dark.

All images related to the BluePerl theme were broken. There were no thread/forum status icons, no buttons, no header image, and the whole thing was basically 3 colours. It was like someone started making a theme and stopped before they were even halfway in.

Aug 13, 2024 at 5:44 AM
Moo~
Do you have an Internet Archive link for this?
Here's the archive link for that MiraiGamer theme.

And here is the archive link for the Zelda3C theme.

The theme dropdown in 2007 shows PenPen World, Zen Gaming, and Palcorner were themes.
Oh wow, I see it now. I wonder how they had looked like, if there were any screenshots showing them in use. Also looking further into it, cuz I'm trying to see if there's any archive link that that those layouts in use, I notice in the same link for the old Miraigamer design, there seems to also be a theme in the dropdown menu called "UGA Game Mod".
960wl0.png

o121hx.png

Really piquing my curiosity, cuz like, I know this website goes far back, so I've always had a bit of an interest in its history, and I kinda wish I had joined sooner than 2013.

Aug 13, 2024 at 1:25 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I've added a new theme called "Mirai Legacy", and yes, I am aware of the irony of the name. I might look into doing Zelda3C sometime later.

Aug 13, 2024 at 6:54 PM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Pronouns: She/It
1723571490497.png

Haha it's like one of those older 2000s themes that were overly edgy. It feels a little incomplete without the blue borders that were around everything though.

I'm considering doing a mockup of a theme for this site but I haven't really landed on an idea that I think would match all the appeals necessary... I'm considering doing something weird between the aargh my eyes theme and cave story dark, but I would need to get into CSS to make sure it doesn't cause issues and I haven't touched CSS in a couple years.

Edit : Also it might just be me but with this new theme it's become REALLY apparent that this site would benefit from more consistent image buttons.
Are you able to just replace each of the buttons with an image because I could sit down and fill in the blanks for you if that's an option @andwhyisit

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2024 at 6:59 PM
Moo~
Heh, I still can't believe it's actually being done, I didn't mind if they weren't remade, but this is cool to see! :D

Aug 14, 2024 at 12:58 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Zelda3C theme done.

...aaaaand BluePerl is also done.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2024 at 6:57 AM
Moo~
I can't believe you actually redid BluePerl, or well, technically it's finally made a debut. After 12 and a half years...

Aug 14, 2024 at 7:48 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Now we can technically say that at least something related to Zelda 3C has been updated

Good to have these back, they give some much needed extra colour/dark options

Aug 14, 2024 at 8:02 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks for adding blueperl :D

Aug 14, 2024 at 9:32 PM
Mint Online
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
something weird between the aargh my eyes theme and cave story dark,
This is something i've been wamting for a while.
I like CSAARGHME's style but having a dark variant would be nice too.

Aug 14, 2024 at 10:35 PM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
I mean isn't it just default colors basically? I think someone did a mockup for a dark aargh theme at some point but never made the CSS for it or something.

It's why I wanted to know what the limits were as far as certain things because I think with good custom CSS the forums could look pretty sweet without being too distracting.

Aug 15, 2024 at 12:18 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I think I need to do an audit of the css in the existing themes and try to streamline them. As in have a function that is fed information and generates the css I need. That way most of the css selectors will be in one place and it would be much easier to update.

Aug 15, 2024 at 12:44 AM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
I'm not very familiar with how Xenforo's themes work... I'm gonna have to do some reading up on that later. :critter:
Isn't Xenforo one of the forum software that have built in "theme creators" that spit out a CSS file for you?
I think it might be easy enough to just reverse engineer the default theme it spits out, but I'd imagine someone's already made a very in-depth guide for this kind of stuff already.

Aug 22, 2024 at 2:36 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
I've reworked the existing themes to be easier to work with and have made a dark version of CS ARGGH that I call CS Shinobu.

I named it after that one dog of Jenka's that really likes dark places.

Aug 22, 2024 at 4:14 PM
World's #1 Laharl Kinnie
Holy shit, finally, Cave Story "my eyes are fine" theme

You gotta make the blue colors be nearly indistinguishable from the black colors

Edit : So with the new forum CSS does this mean stuff like what I mentioned above in the thread would be possible? Would it also be possible to fix the avatars so they scale more nicely with the rest of the user info in posts?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2024 at 7:08 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Pronouns: none
I've reworked the existing themes to be easier to work with and have made a dark version of CS ARGGH that I call CS Shinobu.

oh, i like this one
i've been using cave story dark for years, but this is more pleasant on the eyes because of the blue accents. i really like the name choice too, you managed to creatively tie it to cave story

i still have to check out the rest, i've fallen behind on the new themes

Aug 23, 2024 at 6:36 PM
Moo~
Oh man, CS Shinobu looks really good. Finally have a reason to use the default theme, but dark. :D

Oct 6, 2024 at 12:28 PM
Mint Online
Deliverer of Sweets
Bobomb says: "I need a hug!"
Small issue in the new CS Shinobu theme-
As seen in the Toki Pona translation thread thread, the standard font color now blends together with the background of tables.

1728213938767.png

Back