Mod for Furigana in Japanese version idea and questions

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hello there everyone, I am semi new to this forum (I seem to have had an account for ages, but didnt remember xS)

I am a learner of the Japanese language and I thought to myself that playing a game I know well like cave story (I have finished it at least 4 times) in Japanese would help with my studies. It does but there is this problem with learning to read Japanese and that is kanji.
I'm not sure how much anyone on here knows about Japanese, but they use 3 character sets, Hiragana, Katakana and kanji. Hiragana and katakana are both phonetic, meaning they are always read the same way. Kanji (Chinese characters) on the other hand, is not. The way you read kanji changes A LOT and it’s hard for someone who doesn’t know the kanji/word already to read it. Now, in Japan in children’s or young teen books there is something called furigana, this is where the reading for a kanji or kanji compound is put above the kanji in hiragana so the reader knows how the word is read.My idea for this mod is mainly for it to be used by people like me, who want a good resource for reading practice in Japanese. There are very few games released in Japanese that actually use Furigana so I think it would be useful to add. I made a mock image of how it would look

p171955-0-2.png

Now I am new to modding (meaning I only thought about it when I thought of adding this). The point of me making this thread boils down to two questions, 1) would anyone on here like this mod? Is there anyone else who is learning Japanese that would like me to attempt this? 2) Experienced modders, how easy would this be? I know there are programs that allow you to dump the text files out to plain text but actually adding the furigana would probably need something else.

If anyone has any advice to offer I would be very greatful, and thank you for reading this :3

Aug 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: he/him
If it's supported by the system fonts like courier new (with the correct language pack enabled) and you can type it into notepad.exe, then it would be fairly simple to just rewrite(?) whatever you need to and update the text.
If that's not the case then what you're asking might be impossible to support.
Can you paste a sample of such text onto the forum to test

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
It isn't supported there is only one way to type with furigana and thats in word, and when you paste it somehwere else it looks like this
振(ふ)り仮名(がな)

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
Pronouns: he/him
yeah it doesn't look like it's going to be possible then
sorry about that

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
I recommend you just learn to read the kanji without furigana, since if you don't you're not going to get very far.

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
GIRakaCHEEZER said:
I recommend you just learn to read the kanji without furigana, since if you don't you're not going to get very far.
I'm doing that too, but kanji is a slow process since there are about 1900 of them and some have more than just 2 readings (like 生 has 12 or something). it was mainly about being able to learn how new words are said and not just the kanji for them. Like I learned the kanji for plantation and village ect by playing a little, but without looking up the kanji in my dictionary I wouldn't know what the actual word is. It was for ease and time saving so you can know it without breaking the flow of reading by looking it up.

Noxid said:
yeah it doesn't look like it's going to be possible then
sorry about that
Thats fine, I really apreciate the information :3

Aug 6, 2013 at 2:47 AM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
Aug 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Thanks, I have seen that site before some of my friends use it. I use a dictionary on my phone however, you can search by radicals as well. you can also search by stroke number or search for specific words in english or japanese. It works pretty good since I can use it whenever and I dont need internet to do so.

Back