Lt. Colonel Kawashima

Nov 16, 2004 at 7:28 PM
as3ad
"No! Don't OPEN that DOOR!"
After spending an hour online searching for something, I came up with nothing.
I need to know about Kawashima and I figured here is the best place to ask.

*many spoilers*

After meeting her father in Shadow Hearts 2 and finding out that she died earlier I wanted to know the story around her. So after some searching I found out that she was assasinated by her father in the first game but I could not find out why he did that. He seemed to really love his daughter when he was visiting her gravesite and didn't seem like the person to do such a thing, so I was wondering if someone could tell me why he assasinated her?

Thanks in advance

Nov 18, 2004 at 1:03 AM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Actually that exact question is on my list of "Stuff to ask Shirofan when he plays Shadow Hearts: Covenant", since he seems to retain information in the game much better than me.

One of the reasons why I wanted to play the Japanese version of the game was because I thought that maybe the whole story behind her death was translated wrong in the non-Japanese version of Shadow Hearts I. Too bad, I haven't progressed enough in the Japanese version to know it. (I played the English version of Shadow Hearts I originally)

The World Guidance Book that I own clearly states that her father was shocked about her death in Shanghai and doesn't state anything about how he was a part of it.

Oooooh, I wish I had a Shadow Hearts I guide book that could possibly enlighten us with this contradiction in the story.

Nov 18, 2004 at 5:18 AM
Administrator
The lack of continuity monster strike again. I haven't heard a satisfactory explanation myself. However, I need to replay SH1...but am focusing on Koudelka more at the moment, as there is much more attention to SH out there right now.

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:07 PM
Penguin Administrator
"Wow! The more I drink of this magical beverage, the more games I can play! Wheee!"
Maybe there is no answer other than "oops" now that I think about how many contradictions there are in the games.

Some parts really seem to be forcefully put together plotwise. But I personally can't understand why they needed to contradict Kawashima's story.

The contradiction (BIG ENDING SPOILER) of
Karin (German) is Anne (Russian)
still has some chance of it not being one because she could have lied to her husband about it.

Karin
is also one of the leading characters, so a forced contradiction is understandable than Mr. Kawashima's (the father) character. He's not totally necessary to be who he is, so why make such a big contradiction?

I guess I should continue playing Shadow Hearts Japanese version again. : P

Feb 13, 2005 at 7:25 PM
Administrator
Actually, there is a reason that Karin is referred to as Anne. Anastasia had gotten Karin papers from her father showing that she is NOTa German, but in fact, a Russian citizen by the name of Anne. Due to the anti-german feeling, and Karin's own ambivalence to her family, it is easy to see why she would continue to use the name "Anne" rather than stick with Karin.