Ikachan problem: can't level up or error will occur

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:34 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
Yes, I know that this board is for Cave Story technical issues... But seeing as there's no Ikachan forum on earth and they've got the same developer... I hope that I'm justified.

The problem is, every time I level up, the game gets a typical windows error (closing down and leaving you with the option of sending a report to Window's HQ that will most probably never get used for anything) and closes down... And since levelling up is needed to get trough the game (most enemies can only get damaged on certain levels, but you should already know this if you know what the error can be)

I've tried to run both the translated version and the japanese one (using the links from the tribute site to download them) but the error still occurs.

Anybody knowing what the problem is? I would gratefully accept any help.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:07 PM
Banned
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I have absolutely no idea. Sorry, but, I'm on Vista, and even I've never heard of something like this.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Can you give us a screenshot of the error?

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:23 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Try re-downloading it? Or like andwhyisit said, post a screen?
I had a problem starting the game, but after I re-downloaded it, it worked perfectly.

EDIT: Wait! Download the deluxe package of Cave Story, then Ikachan goes with the pack. That one works perfectly for me.

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:32 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Plow said:
I had a problem starting the game, but after I re-downloaded it, it worked perfectly.
I wonder, do people care when the extractor extracts the files from within the archive and then gives them a warning that some files couldn't be extracted because the archive file itself is corrupt? That or..
Yal is using an extractor application that doesn't detect archive corruption automatically thus he have to order the extractor to test the archive file.

Yal, what kind of program do you use to extract files from archive files?

Jun 4, 2009 at 10:37 PM
When I said it didn't start, I meant a Japanese error came up when I started it.
But I use Winrar. As I see, you aren't asking me though.
So did you re-download it?
Give us the latest news.
Maybe a screenshot would be nice. :)

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:15 AM
Been here way too long...
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I'll post a screenshot (after re-downloading it).
To extract files, I just copy and paste them, using Windows' built-in Zip opener. Could that be the problem?

Anyway, thanks for giving so many helpful posts in just a day. ^_^
I'll be back with some more info.

Edit:
Re-downloading it and unzipping it instead of copy-paste made it work! Thanks for the tip! ^_^
I would now request this topic to be closed.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:27 PM
Okay
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
It is good to use WinRAR for example because it could test the archive file for corruption thus you will make sure that any problems you might encounter with the app or the game are not related to bad download.

Jun 9, 2009 at 9:56 AM
Glad I could help you! :D
Just make sure to do that to every file that doesn't work BEFORE posting for help. Because a lot of times the problem is re-downloading. Just a tip for the future.

Man I love helping out. Feels great, ya know?