Icarus' Story

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: May 28, 2013
Location: Gensokyo
Posts: 175
Age: 22
After months of pondering, I have finally hatched an idea for a mod! (It's no Jenka's Nightmare, nor will it be. Is that proper grammar right there..? :I) Anyways, Icarus' Story, focuses on a robot scout named Icarus, and takes place during the events of Cave Story. This mod actually starts as soon as Quote enters the Labyrinth, Icarus wakes up at the same moment. New release, try it out! Tell me the ups and downs and rate! :)

I attached a couple pictures too,
here's the link to the download!

New demo! 8/29/13 1:45 PM!
Storyline revealed! 60% done! 30% left for story, 10% left to make it "final draft" worthy!!
I fixed the link! It should work now.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yo27udua2xrolr/Icarus%27%20Story%20-%20DEMO%203%21.zip
Mirror:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yo27udua2xrolr/Icarus%27%20Story%20-%20DEMO%203%21.zip?m
Mediafire Mirror, If dropbox is being stupid:
http://www.mediafire.com/?748v6c1w7v1aoa4

I wont be able to make a mod by myself, so I'm going to need your help spreading the word around the forums a bit! Support, follow, rate, do whatever you want, it would just be nice to have a bit more support! :D

Enjoy!

(Old pics, only show early in the game. Download to see more!)
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG
5.PNG
 
Aug 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Catharsis Epidemic!!
"..."
Join Date: Aug 12, 2013
Location: ON
Posts: 371
Interesting. Short but cool. I think you need a touch-up on the maps to make them seem more natural. If you would like to I can do it. But it needs more of a story, it seemed very vague.
 
Aug 28, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: May 28, 2013
Location: Gensokyo
Posts: 175
Age: 22
Fatih120 said:
Interesting. Short but cool. I think you need a touch-up on the maps to make them seem more natural. If you would like to I can do it. But it needs more of a story, it seemed very vague.
Yeah I know, thanks for the feedback! I'm still working on it and I do need to clean up the maps. One of my biggest enemies is time, so I'll work on it when I can. Remember, it's currently only an idea with a...
...crap...
...I can't say physical form...
...what kind of form then...?
...I'll just say digitally-physical form.
Again, thanks for the feedback! :)
 
Aug 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: Jun 13, 2013
Location: An empty Rareware building
Posts: 64
Another cool idea, do you plan on merging the story a little or are concentrating on just one individual story?
 
Aug 28, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: May 28, 2013
Location: Gensokyo
Posts: 175
Age: 22
Mr.Mold said:
Another cool idea, do you plan on merging the story a little or are concentrating on just one individual story?
I am indeed going to merge the stories together! Just a bit, Quote will never know Icarus was there, but Icarus will know everything Quote has done.
 
Aug 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: Oct 29, 2012
Location: England
Posts: 178
Age: 23
Here are my thoughts.

  • The title should be "Icarus' Story" not "Icarus's' Story", the apostrophe is not followed by an 's' if the word already ends in an 's'.
  • The title.bmp image itself looks quite ugly, it looks like the it is just a font that has had the resolution lowered on it as a result it has the weird red, green and blue pixelation around the edges. You should draw over the actual font in pure white, and then just remove the colours, it will look a lot clearer.
  • In the starting room the sand you are standing on has no boundaries on either side, so, it just sort of sits there defying gravity, it looks kinda weird. I, personally would either add some tiles to make it look like the sand is being stored in a little pit instead of floating, or make the edges of the sand sloped tiles instead of a straight 90 degree angle. Either of these will make it look more natural.
  • This will probably be changed anyway, but currently the map names are pretty boring, Mountain (1/2) and Mountain (2/2) don't really sound like locations that would appear in a final version, so I'm guessing this is just a result of the mod being in a very early form.
  • The PrtSand.bmp reskin is not the most appealing in its current state. The grey tiles look very flat and, I don't know if it is intentional or not, but the areas that are usually dark are instead transparent, this is because Cave Story has the colour used for transparency set to pure black so anything made pure black in the .bmp will not appear in game and instead will appear transparent, the only exception I know of being title.bmp, as a result you can see through the areas that are usually dark. The rest of the reskin just looks quite flat, I would suggest not using pure whites and greys and instead tinting them another colour, slightly, this looks better and still life and vibrance to the colours that are usually dull and flat.
  • As for the gameplay, currently it doesn't really seem that interesting, the plot didn't really grab me and the gameplay consisted of walking and jumping. I know it is an early build but there really wasn't anything there to keep my attention, there was no challenging platforming, no plot points, no action, no real gameplay. Again, I don't really know if this is just a result of being an early build or not, but there is currently no substance to the mod. I think adding in some form of action or interesting/challenging platforming to the Mountain zone would benefit greatly, instead of bland jump over enemies, walk etc. that is currently in place.

I hope this helped in some way, good luck on the mod. :mahin:
 
Aug 29, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: May 28, 2013
Location: Gensokyo
Posts: 175
Age: 22
PixelVortex said:
Here are my thoughts.

  • The title should be "Icarus' Story" not "Icarus's' Story", the apostrophe is not followed by an 's' if the word already ends in an 's'.

  • The title.bmp image itself looks quite ugly, it looks like the it is just a font that has had the resolution lowered on it as a result it has the weird red, green and blue pixelation around the edges. You should draw over the actual font in pure white, and then just remove the colours, it will look a lot clearer.

  • In the starting room the sand you are standing on has no boundaries on either side, so, it just sort of sits there defying gravity, it looks kinda weird. I, personally would either add some tiles to make it look like the sand is being stored in a little pit instead of floating, or make the edges of the sand sloped tiles instead of a straight 90 degree angle. Either of these will make it look more natural.

  • This will probably be changed anyway, but currently the map names are pretty boring, Mountain (1/2) and Mountain (2/2) don't really sound like locations that would appear in a final version, so I'm guessing this is just a result of the mod being in a very early form.

  • The PrtSand.bmp reskin is not the most appealing in its current state. The grey tiles look very flat and, I don't know if it is intentional or not, but the areas that are usually dark are instead transparent, this is because Cave Story has the colour used for transparency set to pure black so anything made pure black in the .bmp will not appear in game and instead will appear transparent, the only exception I know of being title.bmp, as a result you can see through the areas that are usually dark. The rest of the reskin just looks quite flat, I would suggest not using pure whites and greys and instead tinting them another colour, slightly, this looks better and still life and vibrance to the colours that are usually dull and flat.

  • As for the gameplay, currently it doesn't really seem that interesting, the plot didn't really grab me and the gameplay consisted of walking and jumping. I know it is an early build but there really wasn't anything there to keep my attention, there was no challenging platforming, no plot points, no action, no real gameplay. Again, I don't really know if this is just a result of being an early build or not, but there is currently no substance to the mod. I think adding in some form of action or interesting/challenging platforming to the Mountain zone would benefit greatly, instead of bland jump over enemies, walk etc. that is currently in place.


I hope this helped in some way, good luck on the mod. :mahin:


_______________________________________________________________________
Yeah a lot of that is to be fixed. There will be a better hook too. It's just really early, I'm going to keep it as is because whenever I work on a mod I like to make fixes and patches at the end. I know, the tilesets look messed up, but I really don't have any Idea why! When I saved it it corrupted... D: I'll keep trying to fix it.
 
Aug 29, 2013 at 3:37 AM
Catharsis Epidemic!!
"..."
Join Date: Aug 12, 2013
Location: ON
Posts: 371
Remember that you can also edit the palette in cave editor. It will be easier.
 
Aug 29, 2013 at 4:55 AM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: May 28, 2013
Location: Gensokyo
Posts: 175
Age: 22
Fatih120 said:
Remember that you can also edit the palette in cave editor. It will be easier.
Dang, I forgot about that. Thanks!
 
Aug 30, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Senior Member
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
Join Date: Jul 9, 2013
Location: Genesis : Spirit.
Posts: 61
Age: 24
The link doesn't work! *Sigh*
Can you do anything about that???
 
Aug 30, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Senior Member
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Join Date: May 28, 2013
Location: Gensokyo
Posts: 175
Age: 22
Quote hell master said:
The link doesn't work! *Sigh*
Can you do anything about that???
CRAP!
Fixing it!
 
Top