How is this possible?

Oct 30, 2005 at 2:47 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
What type of file is that? I can't seem to read it.

Anyway, on the Doukutsu uploader there is a video of a speed-run with a similar time (around 2:30 I think). There are a couple keys to speedruns:
1- Ignore damage.
2- Keep moving.

If you can do both of those while staying alive then you can do a speed run.

My current best time is around 9 minutes.

Nov 2, 2005 at 3:10 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I managed to get a time I'm pretty proud of, especially considering I'm usually not very good at any sort of speed run and I didn't use any autofire. Incidentally, I also had 5 less than the max missles because I played that game without getting them until the very end... my time was around 3:31 if I recall correctly. The key more than anything is persistence. You have to keep trying and expect to fail frequently. It helps if you really like the Running Hell theme too =)

Watch the ultra 2:30ish run. Watch it again. Watch it again. While you may never hope to actually reach that time, paying attention to what he does in certain areas can really speed you up. I got really good at killing the Heavy Press quickly (still not as quick as he did, of course) just by getting there so often. Work out a strategy for areas that works well for you. Learn what small bonuses aren't worth it for sanity's sake (e.g. I didn't get injured to sneak past the insta-death spikes, didn't get injured right before heavy press fell to survive that, used the missle launcher to shoot the first bonus crystals instead of saving the missles, etc.).

Also, for the ultra speed times they used autofire, which will eliminate bosses, deleets, etc. quicker than you normally could. If anyone wanted specific tips I could probably give some ideas, though it was a few months ago when I managed this (wish I recorded it, dangit).

Nov 4, 2005 at 9:11 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
amoyensis said:
What type of file is that? I can't seem to read it.

Anyway, on the Doukutsu uploader there is a video of a speed-run with a similar time (around 2:30 I think). There are a couple keys to speedruns:
1- Ignore damage.
2- Keep moving.

If you can do both of those while staying alive then you can do a speed run.

My current best time is around 9 minutes.
It's 290.rec, you save it into your Doukutsu folder.

Nov 5, 2005 at 3:16 AM
I'm on a Mac, does that change things? The Doukutsu file is just one file.

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:39 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My best time is...6:35 I think..

Nov 6, 2005 at 7:40 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Amoyensis: Right-click, and select...Um...'Show'-something.

Nov 19, 2005 at 4:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
My best score is 4:53... It's just, try to be quick as you can, never stop going forward.

Dec 4, 2005 at 11:33 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
3:49, Right now I'm trying to beat it with 3 health and 0 missiles though, I just beat it with 8 health and no missiles (took around 7 minutes), eventually I'll beat it with the polar star, fire ball, and blade. Beating the island core with 3 health and no missiles was absurdly difficult though.

After I manage to beat it with 3 health, 0 missiles, no optional weapons, no arms barrier, and no whimsical star, I'll go back to trying for a less than 3 minutes run.

I also have a video of less than 4 minutes run.

Dec 16, 2005 at 11:22 PM
Too hard

I hacked into the savefile, so i had 9999 health and infinite ammo, and i still only beat it in over 5 minutes (like 5:04 or something)

"Watch the ultra 2:30ish run."

Where can i find this?

Dec 18, 2005 at 3:31 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
This should be it here, off the Uploader: http://doukutsu.rdy.jp/stored/sanc5.avi
2:17:4. Now, if you just want a really fast time (under 4 minutes? under 5?) try to work out what time saving techniques he uses are worth ignoring and which are really helpful; i.e. figure out the best frustration/time gained ratio :(

A little more in-depth look at Ballos:

It's definitely worth it to stand 'in' Ballos, in his first form, and blast upwards repeatedly; I've tried not doing that and I usually end up getting MORE injured that way! Just take note of what you can do to avoid taking the larger damages from this and only taking the small (3?) hits, if possible.

Jumping in the eye of the 2nd form is a must for speed, and keeps you pretty uninjured. I always did the left eye, but the right eye is better, as it gives you more time with the 3rd form.

As for the 3rd form, if you are ultra fast, using auto-fire, hit the 2nd form in the right eye, and use both nemesis and missles, you can turn it into the 3.5 form before Ballos even makes a full circle. Otherwise, try to take out all the circling eyes after 1 loop (this is what I pulled off without missles and from his left eye; it is very tough that way, though) or 2nd loop (what I usually got if I lived that long, still fairly tough, and gives more time for you to take damage...).

And the final 3.5 form, it isn't always quite as easy to jump into that eye as the video makes it look. You DO have to get injured by the pointy fenc first, and you don't have enough juice to get up iin one boost so you have to land on a platform first. Getting into the eye here isn't essential, but it helps a lot. If you can't jump up there, blast at him with what you can; this form does not have much life.

Dec 18, 2005 at 2:28 PM
The file won't work (the file type).
Is there an alternate, or do i need a special program to run it? (I tried Windows Media Player and Quicktime.)

I beat it in 3'38"! Getting better!