how do i re-map the controls in the original pc version of cave story ?

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:42 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi , i want to play cave story but
my up key is broken ( i will not tell how it broke [ becouse i don't remember/know hot it broke ]).
does any one know i can re-map them ?
( if there is a way )

Jan 27, 2022 at 1:07 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Unfortunately, the "DoConfig.exe" file is very limited in its functionality and what controls you can customize. You will need to either find some external tool that can re-map the up arrow key to send up arrow system presses, or use some external hardware such as an extra keyboard or gamepad.

Jan 27, 2022 at 12:10 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Unfortunately, the "DoConfig.exe" file is very limited in its functionality and what controls you can customize. You will need to either find some external tool that can re-map the up arrow key to send up arrow system presses, or use some external hardware such as an extra keyboard or gamepad.
ok
( also is there a mod that allows you re-map the keys ? )

Jan 27, 2022 at 11:47 PM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm not aware of any specific mod someone has made that does this, although that probably would be possible with some basic assembly. Not sure what part of the EXE you'd want to change to modify the key mappings, though.

If I may say, there are a lot more crucial computer tasks than successfully playing Cave Story that are going to be tremendously inhibited by a broken up arrow key on your keyboard. While I do admire creative workarounds, it may be better in your case to just focus your efforts on getting a new keyboard or getting your keyboard fixed. Even if it's a keyboard that's built into a laptop computer, that can be replaced without getting a new laptop; most laptop manufacturers sell replacement parts for things like that.