How can I edit text I didn't find with SW?

Oct 1, 2007 at 10:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Just an introductive note before:
I'm Danaroth and I was working on releasing an Italian translation for "Cave Story". I'd like to ask help in finding some text embedded in the game that I couldn't find using Sue's Workshop (oh, by the way, wonderful work with that editor; very easy to use).

These are the sentences:
-"Studio Pixel presents" at the start of the game (I just need to change the final s ^.^)
-The "Quit, Volume,Version" menu you see when you're using Windowed Mode
-The "Thank You!" message at the end of the credits (the pixeled one at bottom right, not that one at the end of the credits).
-All the text in "Doconfig.exe"
-Also, I haven't put my hands on "Orgview.exe", but I could have problems with pointers there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:16 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Download resource Hacker, open up the exe, and you'll find a few text files, and a bunch of picture files, among which are what you're looking for.

Oct 1, 2007 at 2:04 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Danaroth said:
-"Studio Pixel presents" at the start of the game (I just need to change the final s ^.^)
-The "Quit, Volume,Version" menu you see when you're using Windowed Mode
-The "Thank You!" message at the end of the credits (the pixeled one at bottom right, not that one at the end of the credits).
-All the text in "Doconfig.exe"
-Also, I haven't put my hands on "Orgview.exe", but I could have problems with pointers there.

See this thread: http://www.cavestory.org/forums/threads/386/

Check it always before asking a question here please.

Download Recourse Hacker there.

Ya' see this programm? I posted it in the thread because it's for editing the text in the exe files, like "Quit, Volume, Version" and so on. The "Thank you!" message should be in one pbm and "Studio Pixel presents" is a string put into the exe file it seems. Just edit the map with the name "p" and it will show that name instead of "Studio Pixel presents".

I know how to hack OrgView.exe I did it before, but let me say that it's not very stable and I have no offsets, I just experimented with the exe... But still I should be skilled enough to hack one ;) Just can't tell you offhand.

Oct 1, 2007 at 8:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Actually I had found Resource hack somwhere else and I did solve the problem, however thanks a lot for that 'Studio Pixel presents' hint; that solution really didn't come in my mind; actually I thought that map (it was called 'u', not 'p' on my version however) was relative to some scene in 'normal ending' fight. I only need to find that "Thank You!" message so, and I couldn't in any pbm (even if I could find lotsa other things I've already translated like Yes/no, Empty!, Version, etc.) O.O
Doconfig is fully translated now, but Orgview is a lot more difficult since there isn't space to simply hex-editing it.
Oh, and sorry if the solution of some of my questions were already posted here, I really have read that thread, but I haven't payed attention to that point. ^.^

Oct 2, 2007 at 2:05 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
reshacker is a great program.

Danaroth said:
Actually I had found Resource hack somwhere else and I did solve the problem, however thanks a lot for that 'Studio Pixel presents' hint; that solution really didn't come in my mind; actually I thought that map (it was called 'u', not 'p' on my version however) was relative to some scene in 'normal ending' fight. I only need to find that "Thank You!" message so, and I couldn't in any pbm (even if I could find lotsa other things I've already translated like Yes/no, Empty!, Version, etc.) O.O
Doconfig is fully translated now, but Orgview is a lot more difficult since there isn't space to simply hex-editing it.
Oh, and sorry if the solution of some of my questions were already posted here, I really have read that thread, but I haven't payed attention to that point. ^.^
Does this mean that all the rest of cave story is translated apart from these last few things?

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:01 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
ahem, yes it is ^.^
But I'm waiting for permissions from the English patchers. So I can't release anything right now. I hope they answer me soon ^.^ Also I'm betatesting it, for the third time. Ah, I have to give credits also to the author of SW? Do you know how can I contact him/her?

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:50 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 3, 2007 at 8:10 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Oct 3, 2007 at 1:17 PM
Hoxtilicious
Eh thats a old version of Sue's Workshop :x
The newest is 0.3...
And Prof. Eich won't answer believe in me: He's too busy :D

Oct 4, 2007 at 1:08 PM
Been here way too long...
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
andwhyisit said:
Um.. what?

And why is your sig not a sig?

Wow... spam-bots are getting smarter O_o

Oct 4, 2007 at 10:00 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
S. P. Gardebiter said:
And Prof. Eich won't answer believe in me: He's too busy :eek:
That's true, he hasn't answered me; I'll only add his nickname to the credits so. Aeon Genesis hasn't answered me neither -.-

Oct 8, 2007 at 3:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
ZTaimat said:
Wow... spam-bots are getting smarter O_o
WE ARE ALL DOOMED!!!! :D :D :o :eek: