Graphic issues make cave story unplayable! :'(

Jan 2, 2011 at 12:11 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ok so i just downloaded cave story and i am running into a number of problems... the first problem is that the aspect ratio is all wrong. the screen is like in a windows mode in the top left corner of the screen. Then after that at the main title screen none of the words pop up except for the date it was made and the version number. i can still run the game from there though cause if i press up and down i can here the sound of it switching from the two options new and load. the final and main problem which make it unplayable is that when i start the game i can't see my character at all. i know he is still there though as i can here him run around and there are still image effects around him like when he hits his head on a wall or if he jumps into the water. i have no idea how to explain this. i tried changing a few of the window settings in the config but it didn't help. i really can't explain why this is happening but I REALLY WANNA GET IT TO WORK!!!

so if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

also there was another thing that when the screen normally goes black instead there are a long stream of pink pixels that run up the screen in a huge mess. i tried print screening the pictures and tried to upload them with the thread but for some reason it would save the print screen...

and as a final thing if it's worth mentioning my OS is windows XP... just in case if that might relate to the problem. :D

Jan 2, 2011 at 1:29 AM
Um... Chosen One? Yeah that'll work. : P
"Keep on rollin'!"
Redownload, and don't put it in the programs folder.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:53 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Update your video card drivers
Change the display bit depth to the maximum
Try changing display mode in DoConfig (there are different types of fullscreen)
Change your monitor's display setting to 640x480 if that's possible
If all else fails, try playing windowed mode (My preferred mode of play anyway)

Jan 2, 2011 at 5:18 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I've tried re-downloading it and i still get the same problem. also i never put it in the programs file originally. i have updated the drivers but i haven't tried changing the bit depth. and i don't mind playing it on windows mode but its just the main problem of my character not appearing and all the pixelated screens. But I'll give it a go and see what happens. :(

thanks for the help either way. :D