Double Post and Ban Workaround Prevention

Jul 23, 2017 at 8:55 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
From reading the 4 pages of ban logs provided on the forum, i have learned that people don't know how to behave. And if others have to stop these irresponsible people, who will do it for them when they're gone or unavailable? My thoughts for double post and ban workaround preventions are to:
• Set up a cooldown timer for the posting option or a prevention that doesn't allow similar threads to be made
• Ban ip addresses instead of users in general
or
•create 1 bot or more that can detect such issues.
Please let me know if any of these ideas are helpful, currently being worked on, are stupid, Etc.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 3:04 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
• Set up a cooldown timer for the posting option or a prevention that doesn't allow similar threads to be made
Our system used to be set up such that you couldn't double post two posts within about 48 hours of each other, but unfortunately that tool became no longer available when we switched over to the current forum software. As for preventing similar threads, that would be quite tedious and time-consuming to reliably automate, so I doubt that would be feasible. As for just slowing down posting in general, there have been a few cases in which a mod or admin placed a user in "moderation mode" which basically means that all of that user's posts have to go through moderator approval before appearing publicly.

• Ban ip addresses instead of users in general
The moderation team frequently does this.

•crate 1 bot or more that can detect such issues.
Again, this is something that would be very time-consuming to implement unless such a feature was already included in the forum software. I doubt that making your own bot to do this would be worth the time and effort unless you're the forum software vendor.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 6:38 AM
lol
Modding Community Discord Moderator
"All your forum are belong to us!"
From reading the 4 pages of ban logs provided on the forum, i have learned that people don't know how to behave. And if others have to stop these irresponsible people, who will do it for them when they're gone or unavailable?
I myself was a trouble-maker early on, I got temp. banned but I came back and turned over a new leaf. It really is a case by case basis and is something that can vary heavily depending on the person, situation, context, others involved, or a combination of any of those factors and more.