Discourse on Games of a Spammy Nature

What is your opinion of RP threads in the forum games section?

• 1 - I'd rather scrape my eyes out of my skull with the husk of a dessicated insect than see them

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • 2 - I think they are bad and they detract from my forumgoing experience

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • 3 - meh

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 4 - I think they are a good way to spend my time on the forums

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • 5 - I think roleplaying is the greatest thing ever and it should be allowed in EVERY forum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 3, 2012 at 4:57 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
I'm fine with RPing threads being confined to FBG, so long as the satellite lounge gets a forum to itself.
I'm
Just sick of seeing the top post in a huge sub-forum be a RO thread I don't care about.
So, any of them.

And I disagree, DT, I'd say trying to appease the masses leads to complaints, but from the minority. But that should be considered a step from the complaining of a majority.

Feb 3, 2012 at 6:19 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
@DT:Where did you get that from what I said? What I was saying was that if I make a change that benefits say 60% of members then I would always do it in a way that doesn't completely alienate the other 40%. You are acting like I insulted your mother or something. -_-;

Shouldn't we discuss some proper thread conduct guidelines first regardless?
How about:
1. In the forum games forum any posts that detract from the game or topic at hand shall be classed as spam and dealt with as such.
2. Forum games must be more substantial than simply posting for the sake of it. Repeatedly posting stupid games like "who can double-post the most" can, and will, result in a ban.

I probably could have worded those better or come up with something else but that's all I can think of for now.

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:39 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
cultr1 said:
And I disagree, DT, I'd say trying to appease the masses leads to complaints, but from the minority. But that should be considered a step from the complaining of a majority.
Try to appease any size group rather than solve the actual problem leads to complaints from everyone, because then nobody is satisfied with what they've got.

andwhyisit said:
@DT:Where did you get that from what I said? What I was saying was that if I make a change that benefits say 60% of members then I would always do it in a way that doesn't completely alienate the other 40%. You are acting like I insulted your mother or something. -_-;
The way you worded it kind of made it sound like you were being impartial for the sake of it rather than weighing up the positives and negatives. If that's not what you meant then sorry, didn't mean to sound brash :<

Rules look about in line with what's expected in the SPOT these days; maybe something to dicourage reviving old games that everyone is already tired of would be prudent as well.

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Rules look about in line with what's expected in the SPOT these days; maybe something to dicourage reviving old games that everyone is already tired of would be prudent as well.
Are you referring to the creation of a new thread when you mean revival, or bumping an old thread?

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM
Offensive User
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
User=andwhyisit said:
How about:
1. In the forum games forum any posts that detract from the game or topic at hand shall be classed as spam and dealt with as such.

Wait, so now when some idiotical forum game comes up, we can't tell them how much of a bad idea it is on the thread?

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM
Professional Whatever
You certainly don't have to bitch about it every five minutes.

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
Are you referring to the creation of a new thread when you mean revival, or bumping an old thread?
Bumping, although I guess making the exact same thread again would kind of defeat the purpose too

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM
graters gonna grate
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
Wait, so now when some idiotical forum game comes up, we can't tell them how much of a bad idea it is on the thread?

Well, you shouldn't really do that, anyway. If you don't like the thread, don't post in it, and if it really is that bad, the mods/admins will deal with it.

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:50 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
While IRC/chatrooms are a better place for post-heavy games re: impact of volume of content, sometimes that just doesn't work well, as IRC is realtime and a forum is always there.

with the reservation of some people *coughWindscough* I don't really see the harm in rp threads. Perhaps some sort of option to not bump the topic could be added re: spammy sections with one word posts so that they don't knock other threads off?

post made without reading the other five pages of thread because my internet feels slow today; sorry if the idea's already been put out there.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
These forums still work on the basis that bumping a topic is acceptable and preferred over making a new thread as long as it is done right. Plus the old game will die after two posts anyway if there is no interest, and spam bumping rules still apply. I should add that in while we are here since the current rules didn't really make mention of it.

19. In the forum games forum posts that continually detract from the game or topic at hand shall be classed as spam and dealt with as such.
20. Forum games must be more substantial than simply posting for the sake of it. Repeatedly posting stupid games like "who can double-post the most" can, and will, result in a ban.
21. This is more a guideline than a rule but it is preferable to bump a topic instead of creating a new one, assuming the older thread isn't really, really old, and that your bump post is relevant to the thread's topic.