Cyanobacteria-like organisms? In MY carbonacious meteorites?

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:43 PM
Been here way too long...
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: he/him
It's more likely than you think!
For those of you who aren't cosmologists, here's the TL;DR:
They found some bacteria fossils encased in a meteorite. These organisms are (much like?) cyanobacteria, which don't grow when they are dry, they just shut up and exist. However, these fossils had grown. The catch is that the meteorite would have dissolved if it were exposed to water.
So these bacteria would have had to grow in water, then be encased in the rock and be ejected into space somehow. IS IT EXTRATERRESTRIAL LIFE?
Signs point to yes, since shooting something into space from Earth would melt/vaporize it.
Here, maybe Reddit can explain it better.

So while the real scientists debate this paper, let's make wild, uninformed guesses. Could this rock have come from Earth, and if not, why and how much should we care?

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:53 PM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
pretty cool stuff

yeah life probably exists elsewhere, and hell we could have been in one of those meteorites and came to earth and evolved or something
good thing that meteorite didn't land in the ocean?

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:07 AM
sexplosive said:
pretty cool stuff

yeah life probably exists elsewhere, and hell we could have been in one of those meteorites and came to earth and evolved or something
good thing that meteorite didn't land in the ocean?
... It did land in the ocean. That's why life on Earth started in the ocean. Because most, if not all of the planet was ocean at that point.
Also, your theory is called the panspermia theory. You should make some jokes about interstellar bukkake, just to get that out of the way.

Anyway, the story was broken on Fox News, but the article is actually written like a real news article, not like a Fox News article.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:10 AM
http://imgur.com/EuvCtsQ
"In Soviet Russia, graves keep YOU!"
wait if that particular meteorite landed in the ocean how did they figure out that it would desinigrate in the ocean
unless they saw it falling?
how did they retrieve the fossils ahhh

also all the jokes I would have made are on reddit the most recent comments
fucking hilarious

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:56 AM
I thought the meteor you were talking about was the one that brought life to Earth.
Anyway, stunning insights all around.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:14 AM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"
We shouldn't flatter ourselves, we might be the only intelligent life forms but not the only life forms in the universe. The simplest of protein life forms could probably form randomly in some faggot planet too.

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:55 PM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
The Internet said:
No other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough analysis, and no other scientific journal in the history of science has made such a profoundly important paper available to the scientific community, for comment, before it is published.
Oooooh :awesomeface:

They've been finding evidence of bacterial life on Mars for quite a while now. This is still pretty cool though. I'll read through that probably when I go over my first week of Astronomy work like I'm meant to have (back at uni, it's an elective, thankfully my workload is light this semester).

I've actually just been watching a documentary about how life started to advance on earth (hosted by the pimp king David Attenborough himself). Bacteria having existed on Mars isn't really that unlikely, but it takes an extremely long time and a helluva lot of luck for advanced life to start evolving. In Mars' case, it got screwed over by the sun calming down and causing what little water there was to freeze.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:34 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
That`s why I play Alien Arena. To be prepared. First it`s only cyanobacteria. Tomorrow this`ll happen:

@ontopic: why is the concept of extraterrestrial life so hard to swallow? I know orthodox, traditional religions talk about the earth only, but these legends can`t stand in the way of science. I even heard a psychiatric asking a patient "do you beleive in aliens?" If there is life here, there could be elsewhere. The space is big enough. The scientific explanation is that there is no proof so far, but statistics say there is most likely life elsewhere. I don`t know anything about these cyanobacteria though.

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:44 PM
Most of us have pretty much accepted that there's life out there somewhere, but having scientific proof is a whole 'nother ballpark. We still need to find out where it came from, what it's like, and if it's related to life on Earth at all. The chances of meeting another intelligent species, though, is extremely slim until we can travel several dozen times faster than the speed of light.

Mar 7, 2011 at 3:53 PM
Pirate Member
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"
Pronouns: she/her
or we build communications equipment that can go really deep into space and be translated/understood by whatever aliens manage to recieve the signal.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:18 PM
Yes, but this communications equipment can't go very fast, and the communications themselves can only go the speed of light, so it would take thousands of years for alien to get signal.

Mar 7, 2011 at 7:36 PM
Pirate Member
You're right Captain retarded fucking faggot, but that doesn't change the fact that there may be incoming signals from some douchebags who sent signals 4 billion years ago somewhere far far away. Of course the signals couldn't possibly travel such distances due to many obvious reasons but you get my point - we might not send a signal, but we might receive one! The chances are slim, but what were the chances of some lame ass colony becoming the world's most powerful country?

Mar 7, 2011 at 9:32 PM
graters gonna grate
Mar 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM
Level 73 Procrastinator
There are also Earth-like planets already discovered

While this stuff isn't really new either, we've also already at least detected one such signal as WoodenRat is describing.
It's called the Wow! signal, for obvious reasons.
Though it's still up for debate weither or not it's from aliens1!1, it's still something.
And jeeze, people, if it's taken this long for you to realize all this, the aliens have had at least 30-odd years to prepare for their invasion, get with the program...

Mar 8, 2011 at 9:16 PM
Pirate Member
Re: There are also Earth-like planets already discovered

Yeah, what sucks though is that radio signals get fucked up when traveling such distances.

Back