CS Insanity

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:50 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Basically Cave Story but much harder (I.E more Basil, more difficult jumps, less health capsules, harder to reach items, more enemy HP if possible)

Suggestions/criticism?

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:55 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
So it's the original game with slightly modified enemies, jumps, etc. (that was attempted and seems pretty boring) or an actual makeover of the game?

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:57 AM
Cave Story, but the difficulty level spikes (pun not intended)

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:01 AM
Tommy Thunder
Discord Group Admin
Org Discord Moderator
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."
Ahhh.... well y'know it's pretty unoriginal, so mabye you would want to add some secrets/easter eggs/more story for the replay factor? I honestly don't mind replaying the original cave story but I can imagine others being bored with it fast. (Mabye you should revive Death Story! XD)

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:04 AM
Death Story? The mod with spikes everywhere? I think I remember that lol

yeah, maybe I'll add stuff like that. I'm planning to turn places like the Flower Storehouse into intricate mazes so maybe I could hide tidbits in dark corners XD

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:14 AM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
That doesn't sound very interesting at all, I'd recommend that you stay away from original Cave Story maps, music, characters, and storyline as much as possible; these things usually make for more boring mod.
Not that I play many mods anymore, but this was main problem with CS Mods: they just followed up on the original story. I played one and it was neat (Lost Land, Carrotlord's, iirc), and now I'm done. Most people don't really enjoy CS spinoff #9000000 unless there's something new and interesting about it, and this honestly seems boring.
If you want to make a difficult platforming mod, just make your own without CS, it doesn't even need a story to grab people's attention. Just leave Cave Story behind, for your own sake.

Also, it should be noted that this is thread #3333. Lucky you.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:41 AM
Bonds that separate us
Forum Administrator
New maps are always appreciated, because most of us have already played through the original ones so many times (either in the original or in other mods like this) that adding a few more spikes/enemies doesn't really make them feel any different (although the world can always use more Egg Corridor). If you don't feel like trying to add on story then it's probably better to cut out most of the old dialogue. It's really up to you though, if you just want to mess around a bit and learn the ropes that's fine, there'll still be people who'll play it (e.g. myself).

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:00 AM
CUSTOMIZED!
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
If you make it full of puzzles that would make it more fun. Or even brain teasers (twisters...whatever it is). The problem with death story is that you don't want to make things too hard or else people wont play but if you make it too easy it makes it too similar to CS. If you were going to do this you would want to change some of the maps slightly. Put in secret passages that can help you in the hard mod. Did you not have that other mod idea about the mimiga escaping the island? Try and focus on one mod at a time. Although if you need some more practice at modding this could be a good start. I tell you what was a fun hard was in Jenka's nightmare the Chimney. If you haven't played that part play it now to get a good feel for something like that. Have you played JN?

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM
Jul 22, 2011 at 5:58 PM
Only Love, Maximum Love, Forever
Badnik96 said:
I started it..

Good thing you replied to one question in one post instead of the three long posts filled only with information on how to male a better mod, we almost made progress ;)
Wouldn't want that, now would we?

Jul 22, 2011 at 7:13 PM
"Huzzah!"
you would have to work extremly hard preserving the current elements AND adding new elements using hacks or maybe even to redesign the EXE for more space, to make up for the fact that its a Cave Story enhancement, which is very likely to be very boring unless done with extreme care and very high-class redesign and rescript.

i wouldnt do it, surely not for a first mod.

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM
Professional Whatever
Kick Ass said:
I tell you what was a fun hard was in Jenka's nightmare the Chimney. If you haven't played that part play it now to get a good feel for something like that. Have you played JN?
PUBLICITY!

Anyway, I really think this would be a good idea for a first mod. Just making a hard version is great practice with learning how to use your preferred editor. It seems to me that a hard mode and a curly mode are the "Hello World!" of cave story modding.
It doesn't matter if people don't like the modding exercises you may do, I believe. You don't even have to release it.

EDIT: I didn't really be clear, but I meant a hard mode without amazing ASM hacks, but with maybe buffed enemies and harder platforming.