Cool Flash CaveStory

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:50 AM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
Jun 9, 2007 at 10:30 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Pronouns: he/him
Jun 9, 2007 at 1:25 PM
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
The first thing I advise you to do is get the Physics and the Buttons correct. Right now, I can't walk up ramps, up makes me jump, I don't fall through the green-spotted blocks, in the Egg Observation Room, I can't walk back in from the lift without jumping, and so on.

The physics engine is one of the greatest things about Cave Story, so getting it perfect is going to help, a lot. SFX can be found in .pbm files in the Data folder, you can open them with Paint.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:13 PM
Hoxtilicious
Softmints said:
The physics engine is one of the greatest things about Cave Story, so getting it perfect is going to help, a lot. SFX can be found in .pbm files in the Data folder, you can open them with Paint.

Thats not right, they are actually in the exe.

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:04 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
You're friend is in for a world of trouble if he intends to do anything more than a fun little website menu, because the fans will be rabid if the physics and behavior aren't spot on. :(

Jun 9, 2007 at 4:16 PM
Hoxtilicious
Umm yeah, it kinda seems to be something wrong with the physics XD

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:32 PM
its just a fun little mock up you know a tribute
but were not going to make it spot on that's too much work but to quote dave he says
"ill keep trying to improve the physics. but right now well make a simple kinda choppy version"

i can respect that
im sure the fans can as well.

:(

i also figure the same thing. i told him- we can spend weeks making it perfect or release it at 95% and have a few bugs here and there. i think i made the right move.

now. the sfx. aparently their in the exe? how do i get them out?

Jun 9, 2007 at 5:40 PM
Hoxtilicious
f-ram.net said:
its just a fun little mock up you know a tribute
but were not going to make it spot on that's too much work but to quote dave he says
"ill keep trying to improve the physics. but right now well make a simple kinda choppy version"

i can respect that
im sure the fans can as well.

:(

i also figure the same thing. i told him- we can spend weeks making it perfect or release it at 95% and have a few bugs here and there. i think i made the right move.

now. the sfx. aparently their in the exe? how do i get them out?

Just use search bottun, Caveoholic! have got them in his mod as PX Sound files.

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:34 PM
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Personally, I'm not too fond of the "Menu"... Can't you just stick to the good 'ol point-and-click? Maybe using Cave Story gfx, and some monsters running around on the screen.

Also, Studeo Pixel's symbol would be Ika-chan, not the cat. :\

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:45 PM
Oh, Sound Effects. Sorry, I thought you meant Special Effects (sparks and such).

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:43 PM
the flash was the best we could do. if you want to make us a better one we'd love to replace it with yours.

also, i downloaded Caveoholic!'s recent addiction mod- and found the PX Sound files (.pxm) but like doesnt the original CS have the same files? this lead me to belive that im not looking at the right place. maybe caveoholic! made another mod?

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:25 PM
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
f-ram.net said:
the flash was the best we could do. if you want to make us a better one we'd love to replace it with yours.

also, i downloaded Caveoholic!'s recent addiction mod- and found the PX Sound files (.pxm) but like doesnt the original CS have the same files? this lead me to belive that im not looking at the right place. maybe caveoholic! made another mod?
Pixel used his PixTone (not pxtone) program to make the SFX for cave story, it does support the export of .wav's. I have a copy of the program, along with the CS .pxm files, but I am not on the computer now. I'll send you a copy of it later, when i am on it.
and if you wouldn't mind, could I take a crack at making that flash mainpage? I need the expirence, plus I am knowledgeable in flash proggraming and stuff like that.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:41 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
f-ram.net said:

I could help you build a better, more cave story-ish platforming engine, that involves tiles and crap for easy updating.

I work a lot on flash platformers and I've been working with flash for years now. I'm not that familiar with Cave Story, but I can help you build the engine :3

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:00 PM
Hey now, let me have a fair chance as well. I haven't been working with flash for years, but I know the basics, and a few advanced techniques as well. I could easily make a Cave Story-esque platformer game with what I know. I'm sure you could as well, but I need some expirence too. :c

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:24 PM
Hoxtilicious
Nator said:
Hey now, let me have a fair chance as well. I haven't been working with flash for years, but I know the basics, and a few advanced techniques as well. I could easily make a Cave Story-esque platformer game with what I know. I'm sure you could as well, but I need some expirence too. :c

Well, saying: "This shit sucks" and then think you can help with the flash or what? Oh yeah...

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:27 PM
S. P. Gardebiter said:
Well, saying: "**** **** ****" and then think you can help with the flash or what? Oh yeah...

OMG! NO SWEARING
-I'm an uptight mod, S.P. Bite whatever

Saying it's bad, then offering to help rectify the problems, is not a bad thing, you silly boy. I don't have to be nice 24/7, unlike you, who is uptight and strict about even the slightest swearing, and changing it later, making it look like I said a very slanderous message.
So yeah, my reasoning is just.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:30 PM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
Nator said:

Don't be modest, lol. Your platforming engine is great. It's really smooth and runs fast. We both could make great Cave Storyish engines, they would just be programmed differently.

Back