Cooking (mis)adventures

May 31, 2012 at 1:14 PM
Hyperbolic
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Pronouns: he/him
I like to cook and hope you too. There is much fun in the kitchen (and I call myself a man lol) which always ends with a smile satisfied or ironical :p If you're able too make your own food share some of your best/worst/interesting recipes.

Best
1) Best thing I've ever made was chicken breasts stuffed with ham, cheese, a special mixture of like 5-6 spices and vegetables. It was like from a cooking book or an elegant restaurant
2) German chocolate cake using a recipe of some old German/Austrian Emperor, forgot the recipe since I do not like cakes that much.

Worst/funny (made it today, still edible)
Improvisation: mixed cheese with cream added 3 eggs and ham and started boiling the whole thing lol. I was not sure what will come out of this a spaghetti or a soup :p Then added mushrooms and pasta. It is edible but everything tasted better by itself haha

May 31, 2012 at 1:35 PM
"Wahoo! Upgrade!"
xD I can't even imagine it. I think the best food I've ever made was a Swiss roll cake. The worst I've ever made..Okay, I tried to make mac n' cheese from scratch. I barely remember it, but I remember putting raw pasta in a pot and then some sandwich cheese. I didn't try to boil the pasta or anything. It was clearly inedible lol xD

May 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM
daughter of chivalry
"Bleep, Bloop, Bleep, Bloop"
I just began taking up some cooking, actually. I don't have many stories though.

Best things:
1. a few weeks ago I made some delicious foccacia bread for when some of my family came over. It had roasted garlic and rosemary and hnnng it was delicious.
2. For the same gathering, I made cupcakes using the book I got the bread recipe from. They were filled with cannoli cream and topped with homemade cocoa whipped cream. Everyone who ate them said they were delicious. Even though I got these from a cookbook, I'm still pretty darn proud. I sure impressed my family (since I'm the one who never does anything notable).
3. Aaand I also made fried mozzarella. I have been making this for maybe 2 years now, and I think I improved it a lot. It uses olive oil so it isn't as bad as normal fried mozz. Also topped with my dad's sauce and fresh basil :D

Worst things:
1. I used to not even be able to make a grilled cheese correctly. I'd crank the stove onto high and it'd burn and be naasty.. this coming from a person who likes slightly burnt food
2. I tried making a smoothie with yogurt, some old juice, and raspberry jam since the other 2 things lacked flavor. It was all liquidy and tasted real gross.

May 31, 2012 at 4:45 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Pronouns: he/him
Oh man, I like this thread! Cooking is great. Food is great. One leads to the other and it's a party on your plate. And then in your belly. Right. I imagine I will be posting here frequently, but we will see.

Oh, and @trickybilly, there is no shame whatsoever in a man who knows his way around the kitchen. In fact, it's a very manly thing to be able to put together a lovely meal for a lovely lady. Word.

Anyway, some of my recent exploits

1. I have become known in several of my circles of friends for candied curried bacon. You put some brown sugar and/or maple syrup on a bunch of bacon, put some curry powder on it, too, and bake it for about 20 minutes at 400º F, turning halfway through the cook time. It's delicious.

2. I recently made a shepherd's pie for the first time. It turned out pretty well! It was a bit tricky, though, because only one of the large burners on my stove works, so I couldn't boil the potatoes and sauté the onions at the same time. It all worked out fine in the end, though. It was also my first time making mashed potatoes from scratch, since that's the top layer of the pie. I put garlic in the potatoes, but I (somehow) didn't think to put any in with the meat, too. Next time there will definitely be garlic with the meat; I find a general rule is more garlic = more better.

3. My family salsa is also a big hit with I think everyone for whom I have made it. It's very simple and it's not spicy, but it's very, very flavorful nevertheless. It's a bit unusual because there's no cilantro in it, but that's because my dad doesn't really care for cilantro that much and so he never uses it in the salsa. Anyway, it's tasty.

All this talk makes me hungry. Hmm... also, if I ever think to take pictures of my creations, I'll post them, too. :D

Back