Cave Story split Dissembly?

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Pronouns: he/him
I was messing around the Sonic Hacking forums and came across this. . .

Welcome to SonED2, the Sonic the Hedgehog data editor. SonED2 contains all the editing features of the original SonED along with additions and improvements. Unlike the original, however, SonED2 edits individual files, which means that data has to be extracted before editing, and then reinserted when editing is complete. This allows the user to have more control over their data layout, and also allows for making changes, additions, and deletions that alter the data size without having to worry about an automated system overwriting other data or leaving unused gaps.
Huh, being able to extract data, (using a program like The Sega Data Compressor) and put it back without screwing up the ROM, interesting. . .

That would be cool, then we could do things like This.

And without having to look very far into out chunks that have been split, we could find things with ease.

If only we could apply this to the already extensive documentation on Cave Story. and split the executable into like twenty different parts and edit them how we like. . .

maybe like this even. . .

1- address 0- 0040000 = header
2-address 004000-004132B = bacis handler of physics and whatnot.
3-address 0040F9B0 - 00410FAB title screen.

ect.
ect.
ect.

Just a thought. . . To bad we don't have anyone who is smart enough/has enough time to do it. :(

*random addresses applied for example use

Jul 17, 2013 at 11:55 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
*too

You do acknowledge that this game is lacking a couple million players, correct? If we had players who bear such information on a topic such as disassembling executables then this would work. Emphasis on executables. Sonic started off as a rom, emulated via Sega Megadrive/Genesis. Emulation isn't running an executable, emulation is running rom images compressed into a cartridge. (Most roms from download links tend to be file extensions such as .nds or .gba.)

Jul 18, 2013 at 12:13 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Pronouns: he/him
ChimeApple said:
*too

You do acknowledge that this game is lacking a couple million players, correct? If we had players who bear such information on a topic such as disassembling executables then this would work. Emphasis on executables. Sonic started off as a rom, emulated via Sega Megadrive/Genesis. Emulation isn't running an executable, emulation is running rom images compressed into a cartridge. (Most roms from download links tend to be file extensions such as .nds or .gba.)
I'm sure that you could take doukustu and divide it into little executables that can't run by themselves. (unless I'm mistaken that is)

but yeah, I see your points. CS is a pretty small community sadly, that's why this most likely won't happen. :(

Back