Cave Story Site and Suggestions

Mar 16, 2005 at 12:15 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
This thread is open for discussion for the Cave Story Tribute Site. If you have any suggestions, ideas, or content that you would like to add to the site, please let us know here.

-SkyeWelse

Mar 17, 2005 at 1:20 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey SkyeWelse,
I'm the guy that emailed you awhile back. Thanks for helping me get set up!
I've thrown the saves I have onto my college webspace, but I don't have enough space for the English MP3 soundtrack. It's about 37 megs (The files sound decent, but a little rough). I suppose I could try reducing the quality but they might end up sounding really bad.
The saves are here. They're named by what part of the game they're in.
All of them are of the form profile.bat.DESCRIPTION, so they can be renamed to have the second extension removed for use.
Let me know if there's any more info I can help you with. Cave Story is the best freeware game I've played and more than worthy of a shrine or two.

Mar 17, 2005 at 4:06 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Hey Niahak,

Thanks for posting and thanks for the saves. I've gone ahead and added them to the site under the saves category. Hmm, about the soundtrack. If I were to put it in a rar file format, it might make it a lot smaller than 40 megs, as I think 40 megs may be a little do much for our server to handle in terms of bandwidth. I could certainly try it for awhile and if it looks like it is eating up the bandwidth too much, I may have to take it town or switch to an alternate plan.

The best idea at this point since I already have the soundtrack that was posted at the Doukutsu Monogatari uploader, is maybe forward me a text file of what you named the tracks to, and I can edit the names according to the text. That would alleviate any possible issues with sending me the zip file you have directly. I'll be sure to credit you for your work on the site, and if by chance hosting the soundtrack doesn't work out, we can at least host the text file that converts the names into English for anyone interested in renaming it. That might actually be the better plan in terms of bandwidth issues.

Thanks for your compliment on the site and your definitely right about Cave Story being the best freeware pc game out there. That's the very reason I wanted to create a site like this in the first place. I guess I just want to spread the word on this incredible game.

As for any other help that the site needs, I'm completely open to suggestions for new content and such and we definitely need more fanart. There is a ton of Japanese Cave Story fanart out there, but unless I get permission to display that fanart here at the site, it will have to be fanart from the international Cave Story fans.

Aside from fanart, there is the secrets FAQ that is constantly being added to or updated, and an idea that was proposed to gather all of the specs on damage that enemies and terrain traps do, how much damage weapons do on each level and how much energy is required for each weapon level up. That kind of information would take forever and I'm afraid that I don't have the time or resources right now to start an indepth project like that right now, but it would great if there were fans out there interested in working on a project like this.

Then there is the need for the various monsters of the game to have full sprites ripped for them. The ones up now are only from the ending sequence and many are cut off. I did the sprites for the bosses, but it would be awhile before I can get to the monsters due to my school and work schedules.

Thanks for your interest in helping out the site! :)

-SkyeWelse

Mar 17, 2005 at 11:52 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hey, no problem. I honestly did something like 20 minutes of work putting all that stuff together, because I backed up saves as I went. Renaming the songs didn't take very long, either - they're in the same order in the MP3 collection as in the (translated) Orgview program - so I didn't have to use my poor Japanese skills to change the names. All the names are in the translated version of that program, so credit for the names should go to AGTP for sure. I just offered to send them to you because it did take some time to do it. I might try and get some more interesting save files (I was thinking of trying a run-through getting the Snake, but I've started running out of free time, so that might have to wait till the weekend). I might also grab some screenshots while I'm at it and/or take down some damage info.
I've put them in RAR format, and even at highest compression they're 36.6 megs.
Honestly, I'm not sure what else the site would need other than sprites of most of the monsters, some fan art, and a more active forum. Damage for monsters doesn't seem too important for me (except maybe for some elements - large spikes and some boss attacks deserve warnings), since I'm not sure how useful it would be. Damage for weapons would probably be nice to have, though... I'll start taking down some info on that, at least, if I start playing tomorrow evening or over the weekend.

Mar 18, 2005 at 12:12 PM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Sounds good to me. And I hear you on the whole running out of free time thing. I'm trying to manage this as best as I can along with a school and work schedule and having a severe case of food poisoning this week has not been helpful in the least to all the stuff I had planned on getting done.

I think that the reason for having the damage totals of everything suggested was that it can help people plan out a speedrun of the game. I think there are plans to do that eventually. But yeah, those spike deathtraps certainly should have a warning for them. lol Reminds me of Mega Man and how he can't take a spike either. Something about robots and spikes...

-SkyeWelse

Mar 28, 2005 at 10:26 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
OK, I've been running through the game grabbing weapon screenshots and data, I've got everything up to Rocket Lv2 so far (getting Charge Gun should be no problem, so I've almost got everything).
I might have that tonight, but I do have a couple of tests I should study for at some point, and sleep would be in order tonight.
As far as the "robots and spikes" stuff goes, for some reason Quote can handle small spikes fine... and Curly can handle any spikes OK... there must be some reason behind this! I will investigate... maybe.

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:55 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
OK, I've gotten all the screenshots and data. The data may not be entirely accurate because damage varies between multiple enemies, but I've got all the weapon info. in a text file, and screenshots of each weapon in action at each level... including range for most cases.
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~halvorcr/CStoryShots.rar .
I have all the pictures in .png format, because it has good compression with no color info loss (the first couple Polar Stars are in gif, though).
If I'm missing anything please let me know.

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:22 AM
Visitor From the Past...
Forum Founder
"..."
Wow! :)

You've done a lot of work on this man. I'm impressed! This is a great deal of useful information that can be added to the weapons page, and screenshots to boot. And even better, you've already edited the size of them so they are pretty much all ready to go. Great stuff. I've been kind of busy working at a new job and studying for a exam that takes place tomorrow, of which I'm probably not going to do well on if I don't get up early enough tommorow to finish studying for, but I fully intend to update the Cave Story site with all this new information as soon as possible, hopefully tomorrow afternoon or evening after I'm done with my exam. Looking forward to doing that too, haven't had much freedom to do much of anything online related in awhile, so this will be fun.

Thanks a lot for putting this amount of effort into helping out the site. I will definitely make sure to credit you for everything on the special thanks page. It is really nice to see another Cave Story fan put this much effort into the development of a fan site for it.

-SkyeWelse

Edit: I've just finished updating the Cave Story site with all of the new content you sent to me. Great stuff and it really dresses up the look and content of the weapon page. Thanks a lot! That must have taken you some time to complete.

Oct 17, 2005 at 7:47 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
If ya need anything special, I learned how to get every single sprite and or map tile ya need, its pretty simple... oh, and there's a bit of a thing I noticed on your site, that ya didn't put that the witch that's pale with the red eyes is Misery... she just looked kinda sad being nameless ;p Thanks for making this site, as it is the pwnage :( (Oh, and I made a wallpaper that is a bit edited of the night sky scene without sprites, but for a 1024x768 monitor setup)