Cave Story on OS X

Jan 6, 2007 at 7:57 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
I don't suppose that any of the editing tools for Cave Story are available on OS X?

Or, failing that, I don't suppose that the makers of the editors have documented the formats very well?

It looks like almost all of the necessary data files are intact: if you open the package, all of the .pbm, .pxe, .pxa, .pxm, .tsc, .org and whatever files are there. I'm just guessing that they're the same as their WIndows counterparts.

Jan 6, 2007 at 8:48 AM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Uhh... If you know how to do them into the package you coulda play the mods... But I have no idea about the mac Isnt there a windows emulator avaible?

Jan 6, 2007 at 9:53 AM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, I believe that I could pretty easily install a Windows mod if it's just a matter of putting the files in the right places - as long as there're no modifications to the actual application, it should be fine.

I wouldn't want to play it under emulation, though. That would be the lose, unless it ran under Parallels (which I can't run).

Editing is my real question - are the formats documented somewhere?

Jan 6, 2007 at 10:20 AM
Been here way too long...
"The Ultimate Sword of Extraordinary Magnitude"
Changes to the EXE include map titles, what a map's tileset is, the NPCs in the map, and a few others, but what I'm saying is that you'd have to go into the exe and hand-copy the map info from the mod exe to the Mac OS .app. In Rune's case, though, I don't think you can do anything about it, becuase he changes the actual assembly...
I've tried doing this with the first few maps of my mod, and it seems to work out ok. (im on an intel mac, i run parallels though) I'll post the .app for ya... I just need to fine-tune it.

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:20 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Ah, I see. I was thinking I'd be too lucky if the main application didn't need to be edited.