Cave Story on GBA

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:48 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Jul 15, 2006 at 8:59 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
Not bad, it's a good start. Hopefully they intend to rework the ORG player and the physics, though.

Is this a complete rewrite, or a port? I'm under the impression that it's a rewrite, given how jumps behave differently, but it's cool nevertheless.

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:08 PM
Hoxtilicious
Well, Ravenwork has the Cave Story Source...
But the CSDEMO is nothing what he/she done with the Source, it's simply a demo little that was for Pixel...

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:03 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!

Best idea evar. If they re-do the sprites to be even better than the simplistic style they're in now it'd be uber.

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:07 AM
"It's dangerous to go alone!"
There's a more recent version of the Organya view port here.

Jul 18, 2006 at 1:47 PM
Hoxtilicious
Osmose said:
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!

Best idea evar. If they re-do the sprites to be even better than the simplistic style they're in now it'd be uber.

I don't think so, the game must be stay original, but maybe he can make a new mode were you have better quality sprites...

Jul 18, 2006 at 6:56 PM
"..."
Well my whole thing is that I've played through it with the original graphics enough to want a change of pace. And the way GBA works allows it to be far easier to upgrade the graphics than the engine it uses on the PC.

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:33 PM
The Bartender
A hack could have much better graphics, though. The GBA is limited in how many colors it can render at once onscreen, whereas a pbm file can contain 24bit color images (I'm quite sure I had one like that loaded into CS at some point, but I'll test to make sure I'm not off my rocker. Edit: Yep, works.)

Regardless, I like the idea of having an "improved" sprites mode. ;)

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:42 PM
"..."
I was under the impression that the graphics in Cave Story were muted because of file limits. Hum. Well it is still limited to the size of the player, etc. Still, an allout overhaul would be kinda cool.

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:46 PM
Hoxtilicious
^^, rune u will hack all right? When you are going to release it as public

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:47 PM
The Bartender
Osmose said:
I was under the impression that the graphics in Cave Story were muted because of file limits. Hum. Well it is still limited to the size of the player, etc. Still, an allout overhaul would be kinda cool.
The display rects can be changed. I've posted a few in my now-abandonned NPC guide. You'd have to go tweak the npc.tbl file if you change their sizes to adjust the impact rects though, and there are massive problems when dealing with horizontal enemies because the rects don't flip with the enemies if they change directions - kind of a pain. :/ So yeah, there is that limitation...

I'm not sure just how big a file can be. I'm under the impression it could be any size, as CS uses standard Win32 GDI functions to load images (LoadImageA) so anything Paint can display, it should be able to load as well. There doesn't seem to be any limit (or even checks) as to what a display rect can wrap itself around so I don't think there are any limits other than the aforementionned impact rect in the NPC.tbl file...