Cave Story MP3?

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:33 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Pronouns: he/him
Would it be possible to make Cave Story play MP3's instead of ORG's?

It shouldn't be that hard, right? I mean you could have directories through assembly that leads to a data folder where the MP3's could be stored.

Am I anywhere near reality at this point?

Would it be possible to make Cave Story play MP3's instead of ORG's?

It shouldn't be that hard, right? I mean you could have directories through assembly that leads to a data folder where the MP3's could be stored.

Am I anywhere near reality at this point?

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:57 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
You somehow managed to make the same thread twice...

Anyway, it would be pretty complicated to do and not really worth all the hassle, it would be better to just learn how to use OrgMaker 2 to make the music it is pretty easy to get down the basics. Another option would be to make midi songs and then use the Midi to Org converter, however I would probably go with the first option because I have had very random and varied results when using the converter and most of the time my attempts have just resulted in errors and crashes.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:11 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
It would be pretty hard, though it might be possible (maybe get NiCALiS's permission to take the assembly that makes cave story + play ogg's from cave story +'s exe, and put it in the freeware version? though i don't think they would allow that..)

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:20 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
the way I see it is if it can be done once, it will be avalible to EVERYONE.

and that would really expand the music capabilitys of the game (along with the file size:P)
liammillay said:
It would be pretty hard, though it might be possible (maybe get NiCALiS's permission to take the assembly that makes cave story + play ogg's from cave story +'s exe, and put it in the freeware version? though i don't think they would allow that..)

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:24 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
(maybe get NiCALiS's permission to take the assembly that makes cave story + play ogg's from cave story +'s exe, and put it in the freeware version? though i don't think they would allow that..)
Yeah, considering they don't allow people to use the sprites no way would they allow people to use the code.

Apr 12, 2013 at 4:34 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Apr 12, 2013 at 5:24 AM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Pronouns: she/her
Way to delete the version of the thread with the (semi)optimistic comments...

Anyway, I've thought of this sort of concept before. I'm not entirely sure how feasible it is - although I'm sure you could do it eventually with a group of talented hackers. I'd love to see something like it =)

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:46 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
that's my fault, I just saw two threads with 0 posts and cleaned one up but apparently someone responded between when I refreshed the thread list and when I moderated it. Maybe I can fix it..
anyway
polaris I *am* the group of talented hackers
And I can tell you flat out this is just not going to happen. I got it to play pxtone once and just that took like a week of work for me, the odds of anyone duplicating the feat with a different library are, by my most liberal estimates, zero.

e: there. Enjoy your naiivite (?)

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:09 AM
Veteran Member
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
And I can tell you flat out this is just not going to happen. I got it to play pxtone once and just that took like a week of work for me, the odds of anyone duplicating the feat with a different library are, by my most liberal estimates, zero.
Idea:assembly hack the game so when it starts, it also opens windows media player, and then makes it play the hacks mp3 files when they are supposed to play? that sounds way easier than hacking the exe itself to play mp3s.

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:17 AM
In my body, in my head
Forum Moderator
If you wanna go and try that then be my guest
If anybody manages to pull something like this off they will have legitimately earned my respect and are probably a better hacker than I am.

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Amaya
Discord Group Moderator
"What're YOU lookin' at?"
Pronouns: she/her
Noxid said:
that's my fault, I just saw two threads with 0 posts and cleaned one up but apparently someone responded between when I refreshed the thread list and when I moderated it. Maybe I can fix it..
anyway
polaris I *am* the group of talented hackers

e: there. Enjoy your naiivite (?)
Okay, sorry about that...I don't know much about hacking...obviously >_<
Anyway, I figured that if one of those Cave Story Knock-Off games were built with this in mind(and actually became stable enough to replicate the original), well...it would be interesting to see, anyway.

Oh, and good job bringing back the posts from the dead. I think HyMyNameIsMatt replied once, but that probably stems from faulty memory...and it doesn't matter much anyway...

And I will enjoy my inherent naïveté, thank you :critter:

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
liammillay said:
Idea:assembly hack the game so when it starts, it also opens windows media player, and then makes it play the hacks mp3 files when they are supposed to play? that sounds way easier than hacking the exe itself to play mp3s.
Assembly isn't a magic wand that magically makes things work. It takes multiple lines of assembly code to produce basic functionality that most high level programming languages take for granted. Assembly is little more than machine code translated to something we can understand using the machine's instruction set. Nicalis can do this stuff easily because they have the source code, in C++. Plus your suggestion sounds like more work for less gain.

For something similar you can replace all orgs with XXXX in reshacker to remove the background music while keeping sound effects. Then you can run mp3s in the background using your program of choice. Nothing's stopping you.

Back