Audio Problems

Jul 13, 2006 at 11:57 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Hi, I've read all the forum to find a solution for my audiuo problem with Cave Story but there isn't....
However, I have great problem with the musics, some notes are TOO loud and there isn't even the possibility to shut down the audio of the game.
I've tried to do what you said in some other post (Disabling the Hardware Acceleration and putting on "standard" the bitrate), but this only removes the bad notes.
Anyone has the solution, please?

Jul 14, 2006 at 2:53 AM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
Have you already tried updating your soundcard drivers?

Jul 14, 2006 at 10:27 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Well, yes.
It was the first thing I did after updating my video driver immediatly after reinstalling Windows, five days ago...
However, I have a Sound Blaster Live! 24 bit, could this be a problem?

Jul 14, 2006 at 12:49 PM
"I, Ikachan. The Life and Documentary of the OrigiNAL SQuiD."
I don't know... I've never experienced sound issues, and as such, all my knowledge of how to fix them comes from the forums.

In the rare cases where turning hardware accelleration off hasn't fixed it, I think updating drivers always has.

My next suggestion would be to update your directx drivers.

The suggestion after that would be to downgrade your sound drivers if possible.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:54 PM
Hoxtilicious
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
The sound in Cave Story is sometimes really buggy...
Well yesterday there were Static Noises and I tried everything! And I couldn't stifle them... I tried everything! GRRR... I deleted the Windows folder and reinstalled Windows and it didn't worked... :( So I formated C: and then reinstalled Windows and it worked! But sometimes that Static Noises appear if i play Cave Story :/
GRRR, that makes me MAD!!!!

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:05 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
ShInInG PhAnToM said:
I deleted the Windows folder and reinstalled Windows and it didn't worked... :( So I formated C: and then reinstalled Windows and it worked!
Isn't that taking things a little too much to the extreme? :(

Chances are your audio drivers OR your version of DirectX were to blame. These are the most likely causes. If it happens again, try upgrading (or rolling back) your drivers, and updating DirectX to the latest version.

Running the DX diagnostic tool (start -> run -> dxdiag) reveals that I'm running DX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) I have no problems running CS with this version, so if yours is of an inferior version number, you might want to consider upgrading it. The sound tab will allow you to run a number of tests which can help isolate problems, if there are any.

If that doesn't turn up anything, then your sound card drivers may be at fault. I can't help you there since it's a case-by-case basis thing. You should find your sound card manifacturer's website and look for the most up to date drivers for your card, however, and make sure they're the ones you're using. A reboot may be necessary.

If it turns out the new drivers are causing the problem, roll back to a previous version and continue using that. ;)

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:14 PM
Hoxtilicious
RuneLancer said:
Isn't that taking things a little too much to the extreme? :(

LOOOL! BUT, its works!! XD

RuneLancer said:
Chances are your audio drivers OR your version of DirectX were to blame. These are the most likely causes. If it happens again, try upgrading (or rolling back) your drivers, and updating DirectX to the latest version.

Running the DX diagnostic tool (start -> run -> dxdiag) reveals that I'm running DX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904) I have no problems running CS with this version, so if yours is of an inferior version number, you might want to consider upgrading it. The sound tab will allow you to run a number of tests which can help isolate problems, if there are any.

If that doesn't turn up anything, then your sound card drivers may be at fault. I can't help you there since it's a case-by-case basis thing. You should find your sound card manifacturer's website and look for the most up to date drivers for your card, however, and make sure they're the ones you're using. A reboot may be necessary.

If it turns out the new drivers are causing the problem, roll back to a previous version and continue using that. ;)

I will keep that in mind! ^^ lol but well nice version name!! XD (4.09.0000.0904) ^^

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:31 PM
Hoxtilicious
Damn, i can't find it anywhere! Only on stupid Microsoft, where u have to put in a code and such stupid things! OMG I hate Microsoft! Damn Microsoft!

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:24 PM
Hoxtilicious
Thats the page where i have to enter a code -_-

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:40 PM
The Bartender
"All your forum are belong to us!"
I can't see any place where you have to enter a code on that page. Click on the "Get the latest DirectX here" link near the middle to proceed, that'll take you to the download page.

It is possible that what you are encountering is the Geniune Windows Validation. I've never had to input anything before, but I suppose it could happen. Just follow their instructions. It's just to make sure you haven't stolen your copy of Windows and are running a non-pirated version. Afterwards, your download will begin and you'll be able to update.

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:09 PM
Been here way too long...
"..."
I've reached where it asks you for a code, but the code it's asking for is given to you by a program you download. They give you the download link on the same page. All you need to do is download their program and input the code it gives you.

Feb 27, 2009 at 5:21 AM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Alright, now I think I may have this same problem. I downloaded the game about a week ago, and the whole time I've had several notes replaced with intense buzzing sounds. In some areas, they do actually follow note patterns, but for the most part, it's just a loud buzz. Makes the game kinda hard to enjoy.

Now, I see all these suggestions, but how do I go about disabling hardware acceleration? I might give that a try.

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:08 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
PhantomMagi said:
Alright, now I think I may have this same problem. I downloaded the game about a week ago, and the whole time I've had several notes replaced with intense buzzing sounds. In some areas, they do actually follow note patterns, but for the most part, it's just a loud buzz. Makes the game kinda hard to enjoy.

Now, I see all these suggestions, but how do I go about disabling hardware acceleration? I might give that a try.
Why did I bother making a troubleshooting section on the tribute site, it's not like anyone reads it. :(

cavestory.org said:
Go to Start Menu -> Control Panel -> Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Audio Tab -> Sound Playback Advanced -> Performance tab -> Hardware Acceleration and set it to either 0 or 1 (Emulation or Basic).

Feb 27, 2009 at 1:37 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Eheheh... Sorry. I looked through the troubleshooting, but I couldn't find anything relating to Audio. Thanks very much all the same, though! I'll see if that works.

EDIT: Alright, that worked like a charm. Thanks a lot!