Jan 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Professional Whatever
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Re: Misery Story

Thanks.
But one thing:
Lace said:
Mmm, if you say so.
Although I do believe that frustration is merely your brain telling you that you're doing it wrong. I just think that if you don't get joy out of learning something, then you should stop learning it. My pov. I guess yours and Gir's and Hy's is that frustration is required to do anything worthwhile. I don't understand that one whit, and I feel sorry for you all.
So, you're saying when things get rough, you should just quit?

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Been here way too long...
"Big Joe Tire and Battery Restaurant! Opening Soon! Eat at Big Joes!"

I sorta agree with lace. I don't find learning stuff like coding that hard once I pass this invisible barrier, it all just opens up to me.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:59 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

I think what Lace is saying that if learning something doesn't ultimately give you pleasure, then it's not worth it. And by "learning" something I mean like a hobby, not like in school or when you're studying.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM
Lvl 1
Forum Moderator
"Life begins and ends with Nu."

WoodenRat said:
I think what Lace is saying that if learning something doesn't ultimately give you pleasure, then it's not worth it. And by "learning" something I mean like a hobby, not like in school or when you're studying.

So then, is it wrong to feel some frustration in the process of doing something you love? Sometimes things are harder to do, but I like doing them. And frustration is just what happens when you get stuck for a little bit: it's not pure rage or hopelessness. The things that are worth doing often involve a little frustration and difficulty to be worked out.

The message I got from lace is that there should be no frustration whatsoever, and that hence it should all be easy and happy and rainbows, which seems a little odd.

It's almost like he was saying: "Why do you find this hard?" or "Why do you do things that are hard?"

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:01 PM
Pirate Member
"Heavy swords for sale. Suitable for most RPG Protagonists. Apply now!"

Oh, well, I understood frustration as hopelesness and pure raeg.

But if it's just a little annoyance concerning ass coding then it's all fine.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:58 PM
Neophyte Member
"Fresh from the Bakery"

The biggest problem, IMHO, with assembly and complex coding languages, is that if English isn't your main language, you're going to have an extremely hard time to understand half the basics (like I do...).

Jan 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM
Not anymore
"Run, rabbit run. Dig that hole, forget the sun."

Wedge of Cheese said:
Heck, I remember the first time I ever touched a programming language - it was TI-BASIC, which is about the most dumbed down programming language known to humanity, but it still kinda sucked at the beginning, at least partially, in the sense that there is a lot of frustration.

Oh god, I remember TI-BASIC. I found it's lack of real speed to be problematic, so that's why I learned my first assembly language (z80 assembly, aka Assembly for calculators and gameboys)

Anyway, when I first learned assembly, it was sort of annoying to learn yet still interesting at the same time, so I kept going. Eventually I got bored of trying to make graphing calculator games and decided to go play Cave Story instead. So yeah...

There's an inherent love/hate relationship with any programming language, including assembly. For example, I got so annoyed with trying to debug a hacked boss in my mod that I made an 32bit x86 assembler that could actually use labels in the ASM source code. I started the project because I was fed up with assembly, but why did I finish the (rather long and difficult to design) project? Because assembly was still awesome, and I still wanted to keep going.

Jan 21, 2011 at 11:11 PM
I don't anymore.
"I'm sorry Mario, but your princess is in another castle."
This is a thread now? Sorry Ii brought it up. I don't know why this is becoming such a big deal, but I officialy end it! "Slams fist on table"