A rant about a PNG

Jul 13, 2024 at 9:45 PM
"Fresh from the Bakery"
Pronouns: he/him
Ok, so i feel like this image Is very inaccurate to the game. Wanna know why? Well, First of all, (and this Is more of a recurring nitpick i have with fanart), Quote and Curly's skin color. I dont think this Is a spoiler thing because the fact that they're robots Is said right before the sandzone, and the Sprite clearly show they have White "skin". Second of all, thank you for spoiling me the last boss of the game. Third, the composition of this image feels really strange. The idea of sitting on Balrog Is cool, but some characters chosen to be in here are...questionable. Ignoring obvious spoiler like the dragon and ballos, including One of the followers (i wont even try to write the name of the squid God) as an important character alongside quote and curly just feels wrong. Overall i personally am not a fan of this image and the only good thing in It Is robot in sexy pose.
1000000183.jpg

Jul 15, 2024 at 3:30 AM
Based Member
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
Well, generally, the idea behind fan art is to portray the characters in a new and creative way, so if you're going to come up with most of those criticisms for this image, then there are a lot of creative liberties taken with fan art in Cave Story and other works that would break certain rules of common sense or game mechanics, and dismissing those for breaking these rules really just seems like an under-appreciation for artistic expression.

For what it's worth, though, I actually do share in your gripe with this image, among many others, giving Quote and Curly the same skin tone as humans, which makes them look almost indistinguishable from humans. I've never liked that artistic decision, because it takes away from their distinctive look as robots. It surprises me just how many Cave Story fan art images do this, and I've never liked it, but I'll admit, it's never irritated me enough to make me start a thread about it.

Jul 15, 2024 at 6:24 AM
Gay AF
Pronouns: She/Her
For what it's worth, though, I actually do share in your gripe with this image, among many others, giving Quote and Curly the same skin tone as humans, which makes them look almost indistinguishable from humans. I've never liked that artistic decision, because it takes away from their distinctive look as robots.
Clearly they're based on how they look in Hard Mode. You know it's bad tho when in Blade Strangers they gave Curly the signature pale white color, but they still give Quote the hooman skin tone. Filthy humans...

Jul 15, 2024 at 8:43 AM
Administrator
Forum Administrator
Clearly they're based on how they look in Hard Mode. You know it's bad tho when in Blade Strangers they gave Curly the signature pale white color, but they still give Quote the hooman skin tone. Filthy humans...
Actually, no. This fan art was shown on the page for the 2005 TIGSource interview with Pixel. Looking at it, it is signed "YU 05". The interviewer was Derek Yu. So it is safe to assume that Derek Yu drew that art in 2005. Only freeware existed in 2005.

In any case the human skin tone in pre-wii fan art probably stems from Kazuma not being able to tell that Quote was a robot in the game.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2024 at 11:21 PM
Gay AF
Pronouns: She/Her
Andwhyyyyyy I thought it was obvious that I was being sarcastic :greydroll:

Back