Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

IdioticBaka1824
IdioticBaka1824
Look, my guy, I feel like you're placing an unhealthy amount of importance on the idea of being talented and stuff. I won't offer comforting words like 'you can do it', though, I'd like to offer what I feel is a more realistic and ultimately more resolving take on the situation.

How many people are there in the world? How many of those people are good at coding? How many are good at music? What about both? I don't think there's that many. Being upset about your lack of talent is like being upset about not winning the lottery — not everyone can be good at everything, and it's perfectly normal and okay to not be as competent as you wished you were. Sometimes dreams don't come true, sometimes you're just plain unlucky. Just because some of your friends can code doesn't mean you have to be able to. You claim that the 'majority' of people your age are better than you at everything, but I'm almost certain you're only specifically looking at the people better than you and comparing yourself to them. And even in the unlikely case that you're in the bottom 10% or whatever of the population with respect to being good at stuff, so what? Is that something you brought about, is it something in your power? Why, then, do you mourn as though you hold yourself responsible? If you tried and failed, you've done all you can do. Success is ultimately not completely in our hands, despite what motivational speakers may like to say. I cannot stress this enough when I say this: It is not your fault, so don't beat yourself up over it.
Infinityβ
Infinityβ
It's not my fault I'm a failure?
Infinityβ
Infinityβ
So basically, you're telling me I'm stuck being inferior. I'm stuck sucking at everything besides music. That's what you're saying in a nutshell. Thanks for flat out telling me that what I want to achieve is unreachable.
IdioticBaka1824
IdioticBaka1824
Yes, it's not your fault you're a failure. All that is in our hands is making an effort. If things don't work out despite trying, it just wasn't meant to be.

I'm not saying you're *necessarily* stuck being a failure or that what you want is unreachable, but that it is definitely a possibility. The important thing is that if this is the case, it is not something you need to dread, fear, or feel inferior about; it's a perfectly normal part of life, the same way some people just happen to be short or poor or ugly or whatever.
The flip side of this is that being talented isn't something to be proud of either. Again, all we own is our effort. You can blame yourself for not trying, but you can't blame yourself for failing. Failure is not something to be ashamed of. It doesn't make you a bad person.

I'm sorry if this sounds kind of harsh, it probably does look that way at first, but I remember feeling very similar to how you did (albeit in a different context) and feeling very much relieved after thinking hard about it and adopting the attitude I'm describing to you. Please don't take this the wrong way, I don't mean to demean you if that's what it sounds like!
Infinityβ
Infinityβ
All you're really doing is repeating the fact that what will likely happen after I'm 18 is that I'll never be able to make that game I want to make a reality, and I'll be stuck spending the rest of my life with a shitty job that I'd only get purely for getting money, and rotting away, albeit worded differently, and longer.