Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

Mint
Mint
Usually only mac developers and big name studios care about porting to mac. Dont forget that you need a mac to make your game work on that, and most people rather not get one. Maybe they could run stuff well enough, but ports could potentially be buggy or not supported.
Mint
Mint
Actually a quick opinion would just be that mac is maybe only really good for office stuff. And viruses shouldnt be a factor either, they say the best antivirus is between system and chair
tlo
tlo
yeah macs are fine computers, they're just geared for work and not play. there's some overlap, plus tbh at this point there aren't very many shitty computers
2DBro
2DBro
usually "most games" that work on mac are built for mac (and other platforms)
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
going to point out all the wrong things here
- "Dont forget that you need a mac to make your game work on that" you don't need to buy a Mac to develop for it, you can pay to use one in the cloud.
- "ports could potentially be buggy or not supported" this can also happen with native versions of games for any platform, I don't think Mac ports are any worse off
- "mac is maybe only really good for office stuff" It's good for graphics design and development also - many programming languages are supported on Macs. It's also great for web browsing. Besides that, you can run other operating systems on it - Macs have Boot Camp which allows you to also install Windows alongside macOS and it performs well; setting up Linux is complicated though. Wine is also available for Mac, which allows many Windows programs to run on macOS.
- "the best antivirus is between system and chair" this certainly isn't true, and there are 0 search results for that exact quote. Downloading software from legitimate sites can still result in infection, Handbrake is a recent example. If you are using Windows 10, you don't really need to install an antivirus because Windows Defender is decent. I would recommend people using Macs install antivirus, such as Malwarebytes, as the inbuilt protection is insufficient.
- "they're just geared for work and not play." A more accurate statement would be that Macs are geared toward casual gaming. Apple's more expensive Macs tend to have dedicated GPUs, which will run most games, although some will need quality turned down to be playable. Recent Macs support external GPUs, meaning high performance graphics cards can be attached externally. Besides that, it's possible to use recent graphics cards in Apple's older tower design Mac Pro.
- "usually "most games" that work on mac are built for mac (and other platforms)" this doesn't even make sense
tlo
tlo
what the fuck
tlo
tlo
did you forget to take your chill pill this morning
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
no I'm actually tired
andwhyisit
andwhyisit
"you can pay to use one in the cloud"
Where? Can you test different MacOS versions?

BEGIN RANT
I want to test old programs that don't work on the current MacOS and the only answer I get is "buy an old mac". I don't want to buy another f**king mac just to run an old program. F**k you Apple, you f**king money whore, as if the price of your machines weren't high enough. The fact that MacOS is built for the hardware it is shipped with at the time makes it near impossible to emulate in a virtual machine without major headaches.
END RANT

"they're just geared for work and not play"
That was certainly was true for classic MacOS.

"Besides that, you can run other operating systems on it"

BEGIN RANT
That's because Windows and Linux aren't as stupidly inflexible about what hardware they can or can't operate with. Hell, Apple is fine with emulating another OS, but no-one is legally allowed to emulate theirs, not even a Mac.
END RANT

Also I should note that Bootcamp requires the purchase of a second OS (Windows) for your computer, whereas my Windows computer runs Windows at a far lower cost, both in terms of hardware and OS.

"this doesn't even make sense"
Effectively most pc games are for Windows, a portion of those are also available on Mac, few games are exclusive to the Mac. Mac is effectively treated as a niche market for selling games to (like vinyl vs cds in the music world), and it shows.

Windows was treated as a gaming platform because it embraced it years before Mac ever did. People flock to Windows as a gaming platform because that's where the majority of PC games can be played. And developers flock there because that's where the majority of their market share can be found. It is that simple.

This is also why Macs aren't as prone to viruses, because few people write Mac viruses. If you want your virus to hit the maximum number of computers, then you write it for Windows.
q3hardcore
q3hardcore
Okay you've just defeated yourself in the first paragraph. While the latest version is difficult to run under virtualization, you can run older version under virtualization fine, and use the latest version in the cloud.

What? I have a Mac running OS 8 and there were many games for it. Heck, the G3 had a dedicated graphics card and a fair amount of 3D games released for it.

Their license states it can only be used on an Apple-labelled computer. meaning you can legally emulate an earlier version of OSX on an Apple computer. Windows only runs well on Mac *because* of Apple-provided drivers... their own operating system not running well on other hardware is not Apple being inflexible, it's that there's no real incentive for other companies to develop drivers to support it on their hardware.

PC gaming used to be niche compared to consoles. So what if Mac is currently niche? I don't believe it'll stay that way. You can also use cloud streaming to play Windows games. I don't think most people care about playing Mac-exclusive games. There are ample options for people who want to play Windows games at native performance on Mac.

Windows may be a gaming platform, but so is iOS, and there are far more iOS games than ones for Windows Phone, so Apple was successful in mobile at least.

No, if you want a virus to hit the maximum number of "computers", you'd target Android, i.e. the most widely used smartphone OS.
tlo
tlo
oh god what someone explain why do they care so much
tlo
tlo
are they even arguing or just jerking each other off