Cave Story Tribute Site Forums

SeasonsOfDestiny
SeasonsOfDestiny
Pretty sure the only thing I didn't like about Gen 5 was the new exp. gain mechanic. Aside from that, I remember liking Black. Still gotta beat Black 2 sometime, though.
Tpcool
Tpcool
Oh, you mean the rubber-banding? Yeah, I disliked that too at one point. After playing through it though, I realized that it's actually kinda nice? Like, if you're underleveled, it especially helps you to speed up the process in catching up to a reasonable amount of power. Fighting the harmless and EXP-filled Audinos with the Lucky Egg (which is given to you in the main story, conveniently!) almost entirely eliminates tedious grinding with this system. If you're overleveled, it still doesn't hinder you to the point where your team is always the same level as the NPC's team. I had a team of about 3-4 for most of the main story and was still about 5-10 levels higher than most trainers until the end of the game. If I was more overleveled than that, all of the battles would've been super boring.

But hey, that's just my friendly argument in favor of that system. I could definitely see why people wouldn't like a system like that (I mean, I also didn't for a while), but I eventually saw the benefits of it.